“The Amazing Astra Suites” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Astra Suites

Astra Suites
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“The Amazing Astra Suites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This wonderful hotel with its spectacular views raises the bar on comfort and hospitality. My wife and I have stayed in hotels all around the world and Astra suites beats every one of them. We had several interactions with the staff(younger George, George the owner and a younger woman) over our 3 night stay and they were all fantastic with the staff always being patient, courteous and extremely informative. This place took excellent care of us, from helping us rent a car to giving us pointers on restaurants to eat at other than the one at the hotel to laying out options to see a new part of the island to planning a visit to one of the vineyards to taking a sailing trip to see yet another spectacular sunset. The difference at this hotel is the attention to detail, from bringing out sweet complimentary wine from the island and chocolates while you are enjoying sunsets to little things like telling you where to go around the property to enjoy a nice stroll its the little things that matter and this place gets it right.
Our hotel room was in fact a duplex suite with a living room, kitchenette, dinning table and bathroom downstairs and a bedroom upstairs. With a complimentary bottle of white wine from the island in the fridge and an absolutely spectacular complimentary breakfast that is delivered to your room at the time you request each day you are really pampered. Spectacular views of the water and the caldera from the room but we spent a lot of our time sitting in the balcony enjoying the view, the weather, music from the pool area and wonderful cocktails that Costa at the bar puts together.

TLDNR: I could go on and on about the Astra suites, the location, the views, the most amazing sunsets you will witness from your hotel room, the attention to detail and hospitality of the staff but bottom line is this place will make Santorini absolutely special and memorable. This is the best place you can stay at. From the moment you get here to your transportation when you leave the only thing this hotel thinks about is how do they make your stay more special and trust me every minute here is special.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed in Astra for 4 nights for our honeymoon in mid-October. Booked the honeymoon suite with private hot tub and private balcony. The honeymoon suite is large and has perfect views for the sunset. We found the hot tub to be perfect at night since it did drop to the high 60s and low 70s in the evening. The views were picturesque, and we found ourselves coming back to our room every day to watch the sunset. No need to go anywhere else as this was the best view and not only that, we could enjoy it privately and comfortably on our balcony seats.
The service was perfect, including breakfast in the morning, which is brought down to your balcony so we could watch the sun rise while eating. The house staff was very helpful and catered to all our needs. We booked a one-hour massage which they were kind enough to do in the comfort of our own room (the massage room only seats one guest at a time, but we wanted to do both together so they personally set up the massages in our room). The staff was courteous and very respectful and made us feel like we were their main priority. We had a late flight and even though we checked out, they had a hospitality room with shower that we could have stayed in, but they let us remain in our room the whole day since no one had booked it after us. The walk to town (FIRA) is a good half hour but offers great views of the caldera. Overall, best hotel I've ever stayed at and is definitely fit for a special honeymoon.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jeffrey T
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

ASTRA lived up to--and exceeded the beauty promised by the pictures, and by my life-long image of Santorini's whites and blues. The staff was lovely, making every guest feel welcome and comfortable. The views of the caldera are just incredible--powerful but serene, and different at sunrise,daylight and sunset. George's suggestions for what to do on the island were clutch, as were Eleni's dinner recommendations. Do this now, before your knees give out, since steps are plentiful. But it's totally worth the splurge.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great views but the rock in the way spoils the view a bit. Staff are superb. Breakfast served to your room/balcony amazing, Stayed in 2 suites and some real differences - all seem to vary. First suite good size, covered secluded balcony and private - but the shower was opposite the bed with no shower curtain - might suit some but not us. This was a superior suite and expensive. The number of steep steps was even more than to the second suite - a price to pay for the location I guess. Tiny public/bar area. The second suite was a bit more easy to get to with slightly less steps but just was not private at all. Early in the morning so many cleaners outside had to keep shutters shut for any privacy (the place was very clean!) and during the day lots of people wander by. It was a junior suite and for what it was it was very overpriced. Santorini is a special place but this hotel although having some wonderful features and staff really is just not worth the really high end cost.

Room Tip: Beware some rooms are just not private
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed in Astra for 3 nights for my honeymoon, and I'm very much satisfied. We chosed the Honeymoon Suite with private balcony and swiming pool. The view from our suite is fantastic! I will never forget the view and it's a wonderful life time memory for my honeymoon!

The hotel service was also perfect. Staff were professional and very kind. Especially, we were provided complimentary champagne, wine, chocolate, fruit and etc. when hotel knew its our honeymoon. It was impressing. I did appreciate the hospitality.

There is one thing special to mention. I contacted Astra one month before my apprival, and asked whether they can record a video of blessing from Greece so that I can replay it in my wedding ceremony in Shanghai China. And then they sent me the blessing video from Greece in one week! I did replay the video in my wedding ceremony and I really like it.

Below is the summary of my stay.

Pros:
1. Very hospitable hotel that tries to fulfill requests from clients by all means.
2. Professional and kind staff.
3. Tasty food.
4. Spacious and clean rooms.
5. Lovely private swiming pool. (well, I can't swim but I did enjoy soak myself in the pool while watching sunset:)
6. Unbeatable sunset view!! I went to Oia for the sunset at the first day but sooner I realized the sunset in my suite is equavalent or even better than Oia the next day.
7. Breakfast was delivered to private balcony everyday. Very calm and romantic...you know what I mean:)

Cons:
1. I can hardly find one. If I have to be picky, dining at the terrace restaurant in the evening in later September could be quite chilly. The staff will provide blankets for clients any way.
2. Along my first step into the honeymoon suite when I arrived, I can smell little mildew in the air, maybe because the door and windows were closed for a whole day. After I opened the door and windows for few minute the smell was gone and I had never smelled it again during my stay.

In short, it's a wonderful hotel and I will never regret that I chosed Astra. I will definitely stay again if I visit Santorini once more in future, maybe my anniversaries.

Tips:
1. It's not necessary to go to Oia for sunset. The sunset view in Astra honeymoon suite is better - no crowd, no tourist group, nobody blocks your view, very calm, very private.
2. If you plan to drive in Santorini, make sure you rent a small car. The roads in Santorini could be very narrow sometimes.
3. Check the openning time for Ancient Thira if you plan to visit. I missed it after climbed up to the top of the mountain.
4. Ancient Akrotiri is worth seeing.
5. Try the octopus, it's delicious.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

George and Eleni are 2 of the most hospitable and wonderful hosts I have ever encountered, and I have been to several locations around the world. The service was unexpectedly amazing. My Wife and I were treated like royalty. My only regret is not staying one more night. If the Astra apartment that you book is available an additional night and your schedule allows for it, just go for it - you will regret it otherwise.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

For our postponed honeymoon/1st anniversary we wanted to go somewhere special. Astra Suites exceeded my expectation ever way and the setting was breathtaking!
Situated at the highest peak on the island you wake up to spectacular views.every.day!
Its not for the weak knees as there are a lot of step but that goes for the island in general. The staff were fantastic, very friendly, and couldn't have help us more. The told us everything we needed to know and were on hand all the time. The pool service/room service was exceptional! Best cocktails on the island! Pricey but soooo worth it.
The room was perfect, just the space we needed and all the amenities you could ask for. They made the room everyday kept the entire place very clean.
I couldn't rate this place enough and if your looking for a special place, hardly any kids (travel in Sept/October) if any then this is the place!
The option to have the taxi to and from the airport is worth booking and the service again was fantastic. We even got a little tour on the way to the hotel.
Location wise you can walk to Fira the main town in about 20 minutes on the cliff path which has fantastic views all the way. Everything you need is there or in the local town at the top of the cliff about 2 minutes walk away.
What can I say it was worth every penny and would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: You only pay more for more space, and the smallest rooms are big anyway.