“Fantastic place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
Whistler, BC
“Fantastic place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

We are travelling with two young kids for 6 months and wanted to find a "true" Santorini experience for a week. The Astra exceeded all expectations and George, Valentina and the staff could not have been better hosts. We were even treated to a traditional Greek Easter celebration lunch along with all the other guests while we were there. The location is spectacular and the property is everything you can imagine a Santorini Caldera hotel should be.

Thanks so much for adding a memorable chapter in our world tour!

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank David G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at Astra from July 16-22, and I can say we loved every minute of it. The second we stepped into our room I was immediately amazed by how quiet and peaceful it was there. Although you're surrounded, seemingly on all sides, with tourists and staff, you feel as though you're the only one on the island. There were no screaming kids (except for one day, more on that in a bit), no barking dogs, honking cars, in fact I didn't even hear a seagull.

The only bad thing I can say about the room was the bed. Although I prefer a firm mattress I can easily see how it might be a problem for someone with a bad back. Other than that the room was very comfortable, always clean and well-stocked. The TV was a bit questionable, as there's only one English channel, but I guess if you want to watch TV all day you can just stay home. Our balcony provided a wonderful view of the ocean, volcano and caldera and it appeared as though no room would have an encumbered view.

The hotel was not like other experiences you may have had, where it's only a place to sleep and watch TV. I would have been happy spending all day at the pool, sipping drinks, or taking in the views from the balcony. Staying at the hotel was a part of the overall experience and added greatly to our vacation. The pool's bartender, Chris, was more than friendly, dropping anything and everything to get you exactly what you wanted. He was very accomodating and it was a pleasure to have met him.

I looked forward to the delicious breakfast served every morning on the balcony. It's certainly different than what some might be used to, very Mediterranean-style but delicious none the less. It's amazing how accustomed I've become to eating American food, you forget what fresh food actually tastes like.

I was impressed with how efficiently the hotel was operated, without ever actually seeing it. The only time I really noticed the staff's presence was sitting on the balcony watching them deliver the breakfast trays to the various rooms. Otherwise, it seemed like the rooms were cleaned and the trash taken away and the grounds swept all by themselves.

Of course, considering what you would spend to stay there, they'd BETTER do all the things I just said. For that money you'd expect to be waited on hand and foot. So, if you're willing to spend the money, be prepared to very pleased with the results.

Under no circumstances would I recommend bringing young children to Astra or even Santorini at all. I think that, as lovely as young kids can be, it really detracts from other guests' experience. I think kids would be bored there as the hotel tends to cater more towards the slow, relaxed guest than a child that's hard to keep entertained. The pool area, perched along side a ten-foot ledge (or in some places 500 feet) can be a bit nerve-wracking and not very child-proof. the island as a whole I didn't see to very kid-friendly. The beaches are okay at best and I didn't see much or any child-type entertainment.

The town of Imerovigli is, again, remarkably quiet yet you're not far from crowds and shopping and night life. It's a comfortable 25 minute walk to nearby Fira and a short ride to Oia. There's a rent-a-car, scooter, motorcycle, four-wheeler place nearby. We rented a four-wheeler and had a great time with it.

Overall we had a wonderful time at Astra and on Santorini. I would recommend it to anyone and look forward to returning one day. If you're prepared to spend the money (everything there is very expensive) then you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — View, staff
  • Disliked — Up and down lots of steps
2 Thank MattConnecticut
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

I stayed at Astra in July of 2008 and can say only wonderful things about my experience. I was there with my wife for our 2 year wedding anniversary. The hotel had been reccomended by a friend who had stayed there a few months ago. Admittedly, I was a little nervous about the location. All I hear about from most of my NYC friends is how "you have to stay in Oia". Honestly, they counldnt be more wrong. Astra's location was perfect, close to all of the best parts of the island. So, here are my pros and cons...

PROS
- Location is wonderful. Imerovigli is a cute part of the island, just outside of Fira. It is an amazing 20 minute walk to Fira, probably one of the most beautiful walks in the world. Also, we walked the 5 mile hike to Oia, which was awesome. Imerovigli itself is super cute, and has a ton of awesome restaurants.

- Staff is unreal. George, the General Manager is the nicest guy around, and all of the staff is 100% willing to help you out. Any wish you have is their command, and they do everything with a smile on their face. This includes booking rental cars, booking dining, special breakfast requests, etc.

- Amenities are great. Most things were free and included. We didnt have a laptop, but the hotel has 5 of them that they lend out to the hotel guests for free. Also breakfast is included and delivered to your balcony every day.

- Views are amazing. I dont need to add much to this, just look at pictures!

- Deals are great. Many of the best hotels are 450 euros and up per night. Astra is only 300 euros, which is huge considering the poor exchange rates. Also there is a great deal they run for what they call "studio rooms". This is not shown on the website. These rooms are regular hotel rooms (just a bed, balcony, bathroom) but do not have a seperate living room and sitting area. These rooms are only 180 euros. We stayed in one at it was perfect.

- Pool is perfect. The pool is amazing, and the views are stunning. There are 3 big beds around the pool for maximum relaxation.

CONS

- If you dont love to walk up and down stairs, santorini is probably not for you. Astra specifically has a lot of walking, because there are so many steps all over the place. My wife and I are a 27 year old couple, and we loved the walks, but if you're not prepared to walk a lot, Astra might not be for you.

- The pool area is small and only has spots for about 12 people to sit comfortably. You do have to get there early to get the best spots, like the great outdoor beds!

Overall, I'm looking forward to coming back to astra one day. I loved every minute of my stay, and think the place is amazing. I'd encourage every discerning american vacationer to consider it when visiting santorini.

• Liked — great views, great staff, great rooms, great stay!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BPN224
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Astra Apartments for 4 nights after staying in Athens. It was simply wonderful! The minute you get out of the car and start walking down the steps to get to the hotel you realize how extraordinary the place is.

Our room was great with an impressive view of the caldera and the crater... the pool area was spotless and our balcony was fairly big. Breakfast was served every morning in the balcony or the room (depending on the weather).... really good.... but if you like more than 1 cup of coffee you should order 2 pots.

The service was excellent, we even had the chance to enjoy a delicious lunch with all the other guests due to the Easter festivities. Lamb and wine were just excellent and we also enjoyed some Greek dances with the hosts!!

You get towels for the beach, umbrellas if it's raining and they arrange a car for you if you want to tour the island.

We had a fantastic time..... We would definitively go back.

Viviana
Ottawa, ON, Canada

• Liked — The amazing location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Apollo2008
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

Service is excellent, view is fantastic, rooms are divine. I would gladly go back. The only downside is that if you have any physical problems with steps (and there are lots of them both in the town and the hotel) this is not the place for you. You must be able to walk and negotiate steep stairs. But if you can, the view will reward you as the hotel is built into the side of a cliff. The service is some of the best we have ever had anywhere in the world. If you want to be pampered beside your own private pool with one of the most beautiful views ever, then go to the Astra. Local food at nearby restaurants (but again steep walking to and from) is good.

• Liked — view and service
  • Disliked — steep steps everywhere
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

My wife and I recently spent our honeymoon at Astra Apts in Santorini and just loved it. As far as the rooms/suites, they were large and well appointed each with terraces of the expansive, beautiful caldera. The staff were extremely hospitable and attentive to our every needs from dinner reservations to rental car hiring. The size of the entire resort was nice as it lent a smaller, more welcoming pool crowd. Very casual and everyone very friendly including the bartender, Chris. As far as its location, after spending time in both Fira and Ia, i would look no further than Imeroviglia. It is far enough from Fira to avoid crowds yet close enough to hike it into town for dinner. If for no other reason to stay here, the sunset views here were unforgettable and i think truly the best on the island. We will continue to visit for years to come.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank malnyc
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

My boyfriend and I traveled to the Astra after spending 4 nights in Mykonos, and we both had an amazing time! The views alone are breathtaking, we could have sat and looked at them all day. The staff from our arrival to our departure was wonderful! Our room was spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. After staying in Mykonos where water in our mini bar was 10 Euros, we were pleased to find the Astra's rates much more reasonable. Drinks by the pool were also much more reasonable. Breakfast every day was delicious, and offered a good variety. The bartender by the pool, Chris was terrific, very helpful and makes great drinks! He always offered to get us whatever we needed while by the pool, and was very helpful and fun. The vibe at the hotel was very low key, and friendly. We did book the sunset sailboat tour through the hotel and were not disappointed! Be warned, it is a physically demanding day, the hike up the volcano is HOT and about 30 minutes. The swim in the hot springs (they are not hot, luke warm at best) is also a ways out, and it will ruin your bathing suit, so don't wear one you are attached to! The walk to Fira from the hotel is a nice walk, about 25 minutes, but full of steps, so ladies, don't wear heels! A cab to Fira is cheap, about 5 Euros, and we opted for this during the day, b/c it is a little hot in the afternoons. If you follow the recommendations of the hotel on restaurants, you will be pleased. We went to Oia one night to Dimitris, a must visit, best fish on the island! We also ate at Selene and Sphinx both which were in Fira, and very good as well. My boyfriend got a massage at the hotel, and said it was fantastic. The price of the hotel is not cheap, but it was worth it! We were pampered, and very well taken care of. We would definitely return to this hotel someday!

• Liked — The views!
  • Disliked — Lots of stairs :)
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank christic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imerovigli
Pegasus Suites & Spa
#8 of 55 in Oia
Santorini Princess
Santorini Princess
#8 of 48 in Imerovigli

Been to Astra Suites? Share your experiences!