“Fantastic honeymoon experience”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
New York City
“Fantastic honeymoon experience”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a long overdue review. My wife and I stayed at Astra Suites in early September 2012 as part of our honeymoon trip to Greece. We stayed in several fine hotels during our trip, but Astra Suites was our favorite. George is the epitome of a hands-on, hospitable manager. He and his staff made us feel truly welcomed and well-cared for throughout our stay. George and his staff made us feel that they were individually dedicated to providing us with the best trip possible.

The views from the property are breathtakingly beautiful, but the staff at Astra also manage to do "the little things" well, things such as arranging for a late check-out or coordinating activities in a very helpful and responsive way. They organized a terrific vineyard tour for us as and their restaurant recommendations were excellent.

When we first arrived at Astra we were met by friendly staff who took our bags from us and were then led into our room. While the room we had originally booked was spacious, it was more near to the pool than we originally thought and we were a little concerned about experiencing noise/lack of privacy from other poolside guests. George and his staff graciously upgraded us to a honeymoon jacuzzi suite that more than met our expectations. Maid service was thorough and the suite was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and delivered and picked up promptly. We loved eating and drinking from our private balcony and watching the sunset. We thought the food was excellent and fresh. When my wife got a little chilly one evening a waiter - unprompted - noticed and brought over a comfortable shawl for her to wrap around her shoulders. This is just one of many examples of how the staff at Astra really helped to make our experience a memorable one. We will always be grateful for the hospitality of the Astra Suites team and have subsequently recommended to many our friends that they (1) visit Santorini and (2) stay at Astra Suites as part of their trip.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Placida, FL
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Astra Suites. Our stay exceeded our expectations in many ways. We were treated like honeymooners with champagne, personalized service and excellent accommodations!
The poolside view of the caldera and the sea were so spectacular that we couldn't concentrate on reading nor could we leave to sightsee! There was no reason to leave, we spent 5 idyllic, romantic days in a stunning location.
The restaurant was excellent! Breakfast, cooked to order and delicious was delivered to our lanai promptly every morning.
George and his well-trained, enthusiastic staff make your stay memorable and perfect.
We cannot recommend this property highly enough and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MrsVee11100
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My Husband and I had a very Romantic wedding in June 29,2013 at Astra Suites!!! Thanks to George and his professional staff. We traveled from Florida for our wedding at the Astra Suites and Honeymoon in the Greek Islands for 2 weeks afterwards.The hotel was a dream.The view from our room and Hotel of the caldera was Perfect and breath taking.. The food and service was A++.
Our experience at Astra suites was beyond perfect!!The place was a dream..Thank you again George and the staff.
Kim and Jerry M.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 494Kim
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Me and my husband visited this hotel just for glass and for our last diner during our honeymoon stay in Santorini and we would like to thank you so much for Stavros and Kristin absolutely perfect, professional servis and the cook for delicious food. If I would come to Santorini again, I would stay in Astra for sure. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lenka G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent 5 days at the Astra Suites in August 2012 (sorry for the delay, we don't usually do reviews) and we cannot recommend it highly enough! We had never been to Santorini before, but absolutely loved it here! Here's why:

Hotel: this is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location! It is on the cliffs overlooking the bay, with a cool breeze and views of the sunsets to die for! The room was beautiful, immaculately cared for and very comfortable (double bed, a sitting area with TV and DVD player, bathroom and balcony), with a classic Greek White stone exterior. Breakfast was served on your balcony (you get to choose time and what to have), as is dinner, if you want to eat in, and the food is excellent!

Staff: everyone is super helpful and friendly: the driver who takes you from the airport, the guy who carries your bags down the hillside to your room, the waiter who brings you breakfast on your balcony, and particularly Helena and Valentina at reception, who are happy to chat, recommend places to eat, sites to see or help with anything you like! We felt so at home, relaxed and cared for!

Location: aside from the awesome views, Imerovigli is also a quieter town than its neighbours. It's only 10 mins walk along the cliff paths to Firostefani, where there are some good restaurants, thought it's a much noisier town, and another 10 to the capital, Fira (nice to visit, but really touristy!). In the other direction, you can do the beautiful 3hr walk to Oia (the postcard Greek Island town). The hotel will also help you hire a car, which we recommend, as it's a great island to drive round for a day!

Overall, this is a gem of a hotel. Before booking we read the few negative reviews and frankly cannot relate to them at all! We had a great experience!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Mr and Mrs W
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 February 2014

First of all, sorry for the late review. My girlfriend and i went to this little heaven on earth called astra in the beginning of July 2013.

I was intregued by this hotel after reading a lot of reviews on tripadvisor and like many persons i was thinking between Astra Suites and Anastasia suites to go to. I called both hotels and it seemed very clear i prefered to go to Astra. Astra was much more friendly and personal in their service. Once I was in Santorini i went to anastacia to compare Astra with anastasia and Astra is much better for a few reasons. First of all Astra is much better Located you are really in the middle of everything. Second of all Astra hotel is much more authentic, you are living in a caldera while in the other hotel you are staying in a regular hotel, isnt one of the reasons people come to santorini to enjoy the famous caldera? Astra gives you the feeling you are actually living in the Caldera itselve. And last bot not least I had the feeling that Anastasia was more a kind of `resort` than a romantic hotel.

We landed late in the evening in Santorini and we were picked up by a car of the hotel. I think it is a 15 euro upgrade to get picked up at the airport but it is really worth every single penny. Upon arrival people took immideately care of my luggage and I was amazed to be greeted by the hotel manager Georges at this late time in the evening. Apparently he makes it a point to greet every single guest personally upon arrival. Georges took more his time ( more than 15 minutes) to explain everything about the hotel and he gave me the feeling he was a friend I already knew for over 10 year. After talking with him we were still able to have dinner at the restaurant of the hotel(11 pm). The food was fantastic and the service superb, i started to understand that this hotel was going to be better than everything i red about it. I choose for a suite with a private jacuzzi at the balcony at the lowest point of the hotel. Altough it is quite a lot of steps you need to take i think this room is the best room you can get. It is super private and has a magnificent view.

The breakfast is served at the balcony of your bedroom which is phenomenal. It is super romantic and you have superb view.

Something that is also important to mention is the service at the pool which is fantastic. Kostas is the bartender and knows how to make some unbelievable cocktails. My favourite one was definately the Key Lime cocktail.

I would recomend to have a walk to Oia, try to leave early in the morning because its quite a long trip and there is a lot of sunshine. A very good restaurant to visit over there is Taverna Katina where your table is just next to the weather and where you can see the fresh fish been taken out of the water.
Closer to the hotel i would recommand you to go to Anogi restaurant. Dont forget to ask the hotel to make a reservation or you wont get in.

After all i can say that this holiday was an unforgetable holiday for me and my girlfriend and i would recommend everybody to go to this fantastic place and to enjoy this hotel.
I would just fly over to Santorini to be able to stay in this hotel.

Georges and the whole Atra team, thank you for an experience i will never forget in my life.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite at the bottom of the hotel