“Best Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
athens
“Best Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

I just came back from my honeymoon. And I'm begging my husband to visit the island and suite as often as possible.
Wonderful suite.
The best view in the world.
Excellent service.
Romantic surrounding.
SIMPLY THE BEST ! ! !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I traveled with my husband in Santorini early in September 2010 and we stayed in "Astra" luxury suites in Imeroviglion for 4 days.
The hotel environment, decoration and facilities where fabulous!! We were impressed!
We stayed in a styled Suite with a private pool which had a spectacular view!! It was very clean and the room service was really helpful and friendly.
We enjoyed the delicious gourmet cuisine of the hotel twice and the food was superb!!
We also had free extra services such as: pick up from and to the airport, 24/7 wifi internet access, library of books..
My last note is that the sunset view from Astra's pool is the most beautiful we have ever seen!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

Let me start by saying that I never really make time to fill out reviews, however our experience at Astra was so wonderful that I have to spread the word. We just returned back from our honeymoon in Greece and ended our trip at Astra in Santorini. We arrived after having spent 2 nights in Athens, then 3 nights in Mykonos with 4 nights left to spend in Santorini. From the moment we arrived, we knew we have saved the best for last. The weather in the beginning of September was perfect, still very hot, but not quiet as crowded as August. The hotel itself is literally on the side of the cliff and has spetacular views. They are truly breathtaking and while I know many like to stay in Oia, I would definitely recommend Imerovigli. In my opinion we had better views from Astra and it's much more of a quiet, romantic area as well. The staff was absolutely incredible, so welcoming and accomodating. The hotel is beautiful and our room was beyond our expectations. We had a suite with a jacuzzi balcony and would definitely suggest this or one with a private pool if possible. The room service and on site restaurant were so fantastic that we found ourselves wanting to just stay in and eat on our balcony. The shrimp, risotto and chocolate souffle were my personal favorites. They also provide a daily breakfast delivered to your balcony at whatever time requested that was amazingly delicious. They even left us breakfast in the fridge and lunch to take with us on our long plane ride home the evening before our 5am departure. It took us about half an hour to walk into the town of Fira, but it's a really nice scenic walk along the cliff and we preferred not to be in the middle of lots of noise and the cruise visitors in town. George and the entire staff made our honeymoon a perfect trip we will never forget. My only regret is that we weren't able to stay longer as it was by far our favorite part of the trip and we hope to return in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sergeantsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

Our last few days in Greece at the Astra was the perfect ending! Breathtaking views, fantastic breakfasts on our balcony overlooking the caldera, relaxing at the pool and dinner at the restaurant with a beautiful view.
The staff was wonderful. They arranged for a car rental to come to our door. No pick up or drop off. All the high reviews are true & I could only repeat them.
We celebrated our 38th anniversary with our daughter, son & daughter-in-law. They also couldn't say enough good things about the Astra. The Astra offered my husband and I complimentary use of The Relaxation room. What a nice surprise. Thanks Astra for a dream come true!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is a fantastic hotel in Imerovigli. From the moment we arrived, the staff could not have been more helpful. They are always there to answer questions, provide recommendations, reserve transportation, etc. They are fantastic, especially the bartenders at the pool bar! They make incredible drinks and are quite funny as well! We definitely enjoyed lounging by the pool and having some nice conversations with them. The hotel itself is tucked into the cliffside with an incredible view of the caldera and it's gorgeous sunsets. Morning breakfast is served on your terrace so you can take in the view. The in-room amenities are very nice! Korres products, including lotion, soap, shampoo, etc. The hotel is a bit of a walk to "downtown" Fira. There's a path from the hotel that can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on the route you take (I walked it three times, and I don't think I went the same way twice). The only downside I can see for Astra Apartments is that you might not want to leave to see the rest of the island! It's just so peaceful and beautiful! I hope I can make it back there some day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed at the Astra Suites last month and it was wonderful. The place is very clean and the staff are very attentive to the needs of the guests. My favorite time of the day was 8 am and sitting on my balcony looking over the caldera and having my sumptuous breakfast brought to me on a tray. It was so quiet and serene watching the water and listening to the sounds of the island waking up. The pool was refreshing although poolside seating was tough to get when the hotel is full. The bar and food service was wonderful. It was very hot when we were there and I wish the air conditioner was a bit colder because I like to sleep in a cold room but it was adequate. We had a problem with our ferry leaving the island and the staff at Astra let us use the hospitality suite for a few hours and we spend the afternoon at the pool awaiting our transport to the ferry. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious and well furnished. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Astra Apartment & Suites on our recent honeymoon. We were there for a total of 7 nights and had originally booked a standard apartment. (we were later upgraded to a superior room with 2 lounge chairs on our balcony) We had been told by many that this room would be big enough for us with plenty of space. When we got to our room we were not exactly pleased. Although we were given an extremely private room (very high up) , the room was tiny and there was literally no space to unpack anything. If we had only been there a few nights I probably would not have minded, but an entire week was a lot to deal with living out of a suitcase. Another major problem they face (which could easily be resolved) is the lack of space at the pool. They only have 2 lounge chairs and 2 big couches for people to sit on near the pool. This was a huge problem for us because in the heat of August you need to be near the water to survive the Santorini heat. Every day we had to deal with them finding us chairs from empty hotel rooms. It they would simply just put more chairs in front of the rooms near the pool this would solve the problem. Everyone we met at the hotel also felt this was a problem that could be easily fixed. They blamed it on the "heat wave" that Santorini was having. Even if it was hotter than normal, August is typically an extremely hot month in Greece and they should be better prepared for crowds of people wanting to use the pool. The last negative thing I have to say is the pool was extremely dirty. All of my bathing suits were ruined & turned yellow. There is a yellow film that lays on the top layer of the pool which is compeletly disgusting. All my light colored bathing suits are stained from this. Also, they need to keep be aware of the flies landing in the pool and try and keep up with cleaning them out of the water. This was a problem every single day and I never saw them once trying to keep the pool clean.

On a positive note, the staff was amazing. George and his crew really made a point to make sure everything was perfect. They truly care that all their guests are happy. I am not sure however if I would recommend this hotel to a friend unless they were able to fix these problems. (which they could easily fix!!) I do think if you book your own private pool suite you would not have to deal with any of this & be very very happy. Overall, we have very mixed reviews of the Astra.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Debb916
AstraSuites, General Manager at Astra Suites, responded to this review, 5 September 2010
We thank the reviewer for their kind comments and constructive feedback, and also the opportunity to address these issues they experienced at our hotel.

It is true space is very limited on the caldera due to the cliff side terrain, and unfortunately, as much as we would love to, expansion of our pool area is physically not an option. We simply do the best we can with the space we have been allotted, and we were happy to provide seating for all guests in some fashion while the reviewer was here during the very peak of the tourist season as well as the peak of the heat wave.

The issue with the slick on the pool occurs simply because bathers choose not to heed our suggestion to shower before entering the pool, even though we do provide a private pool shower, thus suntan oils and natural body oils contribute to this effect, and although we skim the pool and treat the water very thoroughly every morning and evening, we feel our guests would find it very intrusive to repeat this procedure while they are enjoying their pool time. We do apologize for this, however there may be little that can realistically be done in this case and again, for less peak times, it is rarely an issue.

Regarding the reviewer’s choice of apartment category, Astra prides itself on offering a high quality product and exceptional service to our clients at every price point. We wish not to exclude anyone, thus we offer a wide range of accommodation sizes and rates. The apartment the reviewer booked is indeed offered for our more budget-conscious guests, but subject to availability, we were happy to offer a free upgrade after their first night, and they were very pleased with their new apartment and the great value they received for a significantly lower rate.

Astra will always strive to provide the highest quality of service possible, and in this case, we feel that every issue which could possibly be remedied was done so promptly and professionally.
Thank you again for this opportunity to respond.