Upon arrival, we were amazed at Heliotopos' exclusive location. It is at the inner most point of the Imerovigli cliffs overlooking the Caldera, shared only by it's neighbours on either side. It sits proudly at the highest peak of the Caldera, you look right and your eyes take you all the way along the Caldera to the tip of Oia. Looking left you can see the volcanic islands in centre of the Caldera and all the way to Akrotiri on the other end of the island.
Each morning we woke up in disbelief at the surreal views. Sunsets were extremely special and very romantic! We spent plenty of time looking around the island, but the view from Heliotopos was the best. Probably one of the reasons they are the hot spot on the island for wedding ceremonies...
As a photographer, I must say that I found no better place to take a full panorama of the Caldera than from Heliotopos. You are centrally located at the highest peak as close to the cliffs as possible, whilst still having a high vantage point. Simply breathtaking...
Heliotopos is the kind of place that my wife and I will be talking about with each other for years to come. The family that runs the hotel and their 'extended family' (the other staff members) are all so amazingly friendly, you instantly feel like you are in a traditional Greek family environment, and that you are very much a welcome part of it! For example, wee arrived quite late on our first night (10pm) to the sounds of laughter and talking and they said "We have been expecting you!". Before we knew it, we were sitting with the family sharing in laughter, cheese and wine!
Breakfast in the courtyard was also amazing and cannot be left unmentioned. Each morning the staff are willing and waiting for a request of fresh hand squeezed orange juice and/or some freshly cooked eggs (any way you want them). Also on rotation are the traditional family recipes of pies, slices, cakes, and homemade jams and marmalades. So so yummy!!!
From the courtyard it was only a few steps away to the privacy and amazing silence of our apartment.
The apartment we stayed in was two stories with views of the entire Caldera with a lounge suite and nice outdoor setting on the balcony. It is an amazing place to relax, read a good book whilst sipping on some local wine and enjoying the view.
The sheer beauty of the area and the comfort of the hotel was exceptional, but what was truly unique and the stand out factor was getting to experience a little bit of what genuine Greek family life is like through the friendly staff at Heliotopos.
We toured Europe for 3 months and without hesitation, Heliotopos was the highlight of our trip and was unlike anything else we experienced!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heliotopos is a unique boutique hotel complex in the traditional dome style, with one or two storey suites and studio apartments. Built on the foundations of old island structures it has been constructed to reflect the beauty of Santorini's architecture. Located at the highest point of the crater-top (the rim of the Caldera) it offers an extraordinary, breathtaking view of the volcano, the sea and the surrounding islets from every point of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Heliotopos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heliotopos Hotel Imerovigli
- Heliotopos Hotel Santorini/Imerovigli