This is without doubt the worst hotel my husband and I have ever stayed in. We were told on arrival by Elena that we had been upgraded from the superior double we were booked in to a suite. A suite you have to be kidding!! The room was miniscule, dark, damp and cave like. It contained the bed, a wooden bench with cushions, a small table, a very small wardrobe built into the kitchenette area, and the tiniest most inconvenient shower room. Room 12 must be the worst room in the hotel.
We were on a Travelzoo break along with around ten or so other couples. Some seemed content (they must have been the ones who got the only decent rooms) but many others expressed extreme disatisfaction with their accomodation. My husband and I did not complain to the staff whilst there because our room was quite near the office and we could see how poor a response those who did complain got. There seemed to be little point, also you worried that your stay might be made even more unpleasant if you did so. Assuming that that was possible!!
Our bathroom had the tiniest triangular shower, a ridiculous conical stone washbasin which never looked clean, and the only mirror in the room. There was a hairdryer like the ones found in public swimming pools. The tube came adrift from the handset the first time it was used. The staff response was to take away the tube and provide us with a cheap tiny hand dryer which had to be plugged in in the main room, however there was no mirror in the main room, so it was very difficult to then wash and dry my long hair.
The sort of kitchen area which comprised a stainless steel sink, a two ring electric hob and a domestic under-counter fridge. was provided with no cutlery, crockery or pots or pans, making this altogether pointless. It would have been better to provide dressing table facilities here. No tea or coffee making facilities even provided.
This hotel can in no way be described as 4 star I would not give it one star. I think that the positive reviews written here are written by the fortunate individuals who got the one or two decent rooms available for their stay, there were quite a few people very unhappy whilst we were there. The majority of rooms are well below standard in fact can be described with only one word inadequate. There is no restaurant. The bar is a makeshift area at the top of the hotel, a few tables and chairs and a kind of serving hatch containing the drinks. This seemed rarely to be used possibly because there never seemed to be anyone serving there.
Many of these reviews talk about the fabulous views. We stayed for a week (heaven help us!) and yes the views are amazing, when they are not completely obscured by mist that is. The famed sunset was only visible one night, generally the mists and cloud cover obscured everything. It is also an extremely windy spot. Our room was one of the highest and for most of our time there it was too cold and too windy to venture outdoors onto our 'terrace' - two chairs and a table placed in the walkway outside our room.
The hotel next door had accomodation above ours and the roof of our room was an outside sitting area, this meant that we were kept awake nearly every night by the chairs placed here rocking in the gales that were blowing. We complained early on and that night the chairs were taken in, but then left out every night after, rocking and rattling. It was pointless complaining, we purchased some earplugs.
My husband and I walked a few times into Fira and saw the other hotel accomodation available in the area, there are some very nice places to stay in Santorini, but this most definitely is not one of them, avoid it like the plague.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Imerovigli, one of the most beautiful villages of Santorini Island, you will find the ILIOVASILEMA HOTEL APARTMENTS ("Iliovasilema" is the Greek word for "sunset"). Iliovasilema is situated on the enchanting and world famous Caldera. Built 350m above sea level, offers to its guests the most fascinating view of the volcano and the little islands of the Aegean Sea, as well as of the dazzling sunset. Iliovasilema was initially built in year 1996, has been renovated and remodeled in year 2002 and still grows, following always the rules and the tradition of the Cycladic architecture! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Bookgreece.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iliovasilema Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iliovasillema Hotel Imerovigli
- Iliovasilema Hotel Imerovigli
- Iliovasilema Suites Santorini/Imerovigli