“First trip to Greece but not the last”

Iliovasilema Suites
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
London, United Kingdom
“First trip to Greece but not the last”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have seen some of the reviews on here from people I know were there at the same time as we were so I will try and be as objective as possible. Maybe I didn't expect much and we got a very good deal from Secret Escapes but the truth is the principle reason for booking were the views I saw on the internet before going. When we arrived we were attended to by Elina (correct spelling) and Alex. Let me tell you we have been to some of the top hotels in the world and these 2 young ladies made us feel at home immediately. Not like the sterile corporate experience we are used to. We were apparently upgraded which I took with a pinch of salt but I believe we probably got one of the best suites in the hotel. It was massive if a little quirky. A massive living room, bedroom and a lovely bathroom. And yes the hairdryer was useless (a reference to a previous post) but seriously if you're that bothered go to the local hairdresser! The room was spotless and we can honestly say we know why. They spend hours cleaning them each day and much to my embarrassment hung up and folded clothes I had left lying around. A nice touch on this type of holiday. Breakfast was again quirky but to be honest just talking to Elina and Alex made sure that anything you wanted turned up on your breakfast tray the next morning. As has been mentioned by other reviewers breakfast was delivered by Roberto, a superb man who greeted you everyday with a beaming smile. He would do everything for you and expect nothing in return. Again a welcome change from some of the experiences have encountered in top hotels. I did hear complaints about other rooms from other guests and I tried to look at as many as I could. In the main I would say that most of the rooms I saw were lovely (not as nice as ours) but I wouldn't have had any complaints. One couple complained of having no window and I do think that this would have been a problem for us. We were very lucky and I would certainly recommend room 11. The island is stunning and if all you want to do is lie in the sun then your missing out on the fabulous treasures this island has to offer. But if that is what you want to do there is no better place. Everytime you open your eyes and look out over the Caldera you simply have to smile. OK the sunset. We were lucky enough to meet some great people while we there and our neighbours (yes you Kitkat), Fran, Michael and Carol were a true delight. Somehow we developed a little ritual of gathering on the terrace each evening with a glass of wine or ouzo (yes you Fran) and toasted the magnificent sunset. By the end of the week half of the hotel joined us. A truly lovely end to the day each day. By the way if you travel in April don't expect clear skies every night! One evening the mist rolled in but do you know what who cares we still had fun. My advice. The hotel, the staff, the weather, the local sites and people were all lovely and I would certainly return. If you want Germanic efficiency go to Germany.
Tony & Mad

Room Tip: Don't be put off this is a lovely place to stay. Just get the right deal before you go.
3 Thank madtone
louk7, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Iliovasilema Suites, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear reviewer

With this message we would like to thank you for visiting Iliovasilema Suites and for the time you spent on your review.
On behalf of our team and the new management I would like to express our sincere appreciation for your kind words and we all hope to see you again in one of your future trips in Santorini.

Operational Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is without doubt the worst hotel my husband and I have ever stayed in. We were told on arrival by Elena that we had been upgraded from the superior double we were booked in to a suite. A suite you have to be kidding!! The room was miniscule, dark, damp and cave like. It contained the bed, a wooden bench with cushions, a small table, a very small wardrobe built into the kitchenette area, and the tiniest most inconvenient shower room. Room 12 must be the worst room in the hotel.
We were on a Travelzoo break along with around ten or so other couples. Some seemed content (they must have been the ones who got the only decent rooms) but many others expressed extreme disatisfaction with their accomodation. My husband and I did not complain to the staff whilst there because our room was quite near the office and we could see how poor a response those who did complain got. There seemed to be little point, also you worried that your stay might be made even more unpleasant if you did so. Assuming that that was possible!!
Our bathroom had the tiniest triangular shower, a ridiculous conical stone washbasin which never looked clean, and the only mirror in the room. There was a hairdryer like the ones found in public swimming pools. The tube came adrift from the handset the first time it was used. The staff response was to take away the tube and provide us with a cheap tiny hand dryer which had to be plugged in in the main room, however there was no mirror in the main room, so it was very difficult to then wash and dry my long hair.
The sort of kitchen area which comprised a stainless steel sink, a two ring electric hob and a domestic under-counter fridge. was provided with no cutlery, crockery or pots or pans, making this altogether pointless. It would have been better to provide dressing table facilities here. No tea or coffee making facilities even provided.
This hotel can in no way be described as 4 star I would not give it one star. I think that the positive reviews written here are written by the fortunate individuals who got the one or two decent rooms available for their stay, there were quite a few people very unhappy whilst we were there. The majority of rooms are well below standard in fact can be described with only one word inadequate. There is no restaurant. The bar is a makeshift area at the top of the hotel, a few tables and chairs and a kind of serving hatch containing the drinks. This seemed rarely to be used possibly because there never seemed to be anyone serving there.
Many of these reviews talk about the fabulous views. We stayed for a week (heaven help us!) and yes the views are amazing, when they are not completely obscured by mist that is. The famed sunset was only visible one night, generally the mists and cloud cover obscured everything. It is also an extremely windy spot. Our room was one of the highest and for most of our time there it was too cold and too windy to venture outdoors onto our 'terrace' - two chairs and a table placed in the walkway outside our room.
The hotel next door had accomodation above ours and the roof of our room was an outside sitting area, this meant that we were kept awake nearly every night by the chairs placed here rocking in the gales that were blowing. We complained early on and that night the chairs were taken in, but then left out every night after, rocking and rattling. It was pointless complaining, we purchased some earplugs.
My husband and I walked a few times into Fira and saw the other hotel accomodation available in the area, there are some very nice places to stay in Santorini, but this most definitely is not one of them, avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: Refuse point blank to stay in room 12
Dear reviewer.

With this message we would like to thank you for visiting Iliovasilema Suites and express our surprise and concern regarding your review and comments.

Your reservation as mentioned was for a double room which has been honored and upgraded to a Junior Suite for all of your stay .

The Junior Suites of Iliovasilema are located in the most picturesque settlement of Imerovigli In Santorini, Greece. These charming suites feature a stylish bedroom with a double bed, bathroom with jet shower, a cozy living room and veranda with outdoors or indoors Jacuzzi.

It is honest to mention that Junior suite #12 features a Private Outdoor Jacuzzi .

Santorini is famous about its views and the spectacular sunsets.

Iliovasilema Suites are located in the most beneficial part of Santorini in Imerovigli and we host breathtaking views all year round.

It is honestly a pity that during your stay the weather was unstable a few clouds though should not shade what is world-known as the best sunset around the global.

We are very sorry that the weather did not allow you to enjoy the beauty of our views during your visit on Santorini

In our site that we feature a Bar-Restaurant located on the highest level of the hotel which is literally hanging on the Cliffside of Santorini .It is also obvious that the location of this facility was handpicked dew to the spectacular views our guests can enjoy while dinning or drinking a cocktail, weather permitting.

It is unfortunate that the weather was not comfortable to enjoy this facility.

During your 7 days stay with us you should have mentioned your thoughts and requests to our team.

As you have mentioned our brigade was there all day handling needs and requests for all of our respectful guests who would share their requests with us.

The fact that you have been disturbed from a neighbor hotel in the evening is an issue created by external factors that could be efficiently managed by our team.

We are happy to accept creative criticism and we believe that challenge is to deal situations and give solutions on the spot rather than debating for them in the web.

It is a fact that hotels and their staff are always exposed to reviews and comments but we consider fair to present our side of the story as well.

Elina Drosaki.

Operational Manager.
surrey
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I agree on a lot of points in the previous comment. Yes it has a fabulous view but so do the majority of the hotels. The rooms really differ. On arrival we were given what I can only describe as the worst room I have ever been in. We were then changed to the second worst room. I really didnt want to spend any time in it. To upgrade would have cost a small fortune which is ridiculous. Yes Elena is fine as long as you dont have a problem. Alex is a sweetie much softer and obliging. Swimming pool not much use. It sorts of sits directly in front of about 4 adjoining rooms and is very small. I would not want to stay there again. All the staff in the hotels are lovely as that seems to be part of the Greek personalities. This is rated as a 4 star hotel but definitely more 3 star

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
louk7, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Iliovasilema Suites, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear reviewer.

With this message we would like to thank you for staying in our premises.

We would also like to thank you for the time you spent on your review and your polite comments for the team of Iliovasilema suites.

Based on your story we would like to clarify a few things and details regarding your review.

It is a fact that all of our 17 rooms and suites are completely different to each other even if they may belong to the same room category.

Iliovasilema Suites is located on the Cliff Side of Santorini in Imerovigli and offers amazing views of the volcanic islands and the famous sunset of Santorini.

This view is the most famous attraction on the island and you could enjoy it directly from both of the rooms you have been accommodated in our property.

It is a fact that you have reserved a Superior Double Room Caldera View which you have received while checking in the hotel. Allow us to mention that all of our rooms are Built and carved in to the rocks of the cliff of Santorini and we usually follow the nature when it comes on building in Santorini.

This was the style /architecture of the room you initially received when I personally checked you in our property.

Our Superior Rooms cover an area approximately of 28m2, featuring a comfortable double bed, a spacious lounge with a coffee table and sofa bed, a bathroom with an invigorating shower cabin and a semi private veranda boasting the most thrilling view of the Caldera.

A private pool or a Jacuzzi is not featured in this type of accommodation

The same day of your arrival you mentioned that you would like to see a different room if available since the room provided did not meet your expectations.

Immediately we have offered the next available room to you which you have checked and accepted.

It is important to mention that the second room you stayed was also a Superior Double room.

During your stay you have once again requested to change rooms and this time you specifically asked for the Master Suite of the Hotel which features a new private infinity pool.

You have requested the master suite as a free upgrade to your reservation.

We could accept your request as long as there would be an additional fee charged for our last vacant room.

You rejected our discounted offer and spend the rest of your stay in the Superior Double room you have reserved and approved presenting us your understanding and appreciation for all of our efforts.

Considering every request we have received from your side both I and my team reacted efficiently on time in order to provide the best of our services.

We have never received a second request or a comment on our accommodation and services from that point and after during your stay.

Therefore we consider unfair to dispute on issues that could have been managed during your stay with us… not after.

It is obvious that we act deal and adjust on issues we are aware about.

We also believe that Cycladic architecture CAN and MUST be appreciated even if it does not feature a private pool, a facility which would be rated accordingly worldwide.

It is a fact that hotels and their staff are always exposed to criticism but we consider fair to present our side of the story as well.

Thank you again for visiting Iliovasilema Suites

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed in the Iliovasilema suites this year. The views are to die for!
This is not a moaning review, we were staying on a deal from travel zoo, but had we paid the full price for this week we would have felt a little let down.
Room descriptions are a little misleading however. We had booked a superior room which says that there is a double bed and a sofa bed, as I was sharing with my Mum this would have been ideal. However, there was no sofa bed, and it seems that even the superior room vary greatly in their quality as was apparent from speaking to other guests.
Breakfast seemed to be a little confusing with the continental breakfast listed as having fruit and yoghurt available, but apparently not every day. Roberto was brilliant though, bringing our breakfast every day, but we were reprimanded by the kitchen via another staff member when we asked for the tea we had ordered (we received double coffee, and apparently you can't have both....!) Alex was lovely, and Elena welcomed us saying that we should come to her with any problem (although she was not so keen when we actually DID take a problem to her).
The room however was spotlessly clean and comfortable, with an amazing bathroom and a beautiful view from the terrace. It really is the most stunning location in which to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room higher up in the development, and check that you know exactly what your...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I booked to stay here as a surprise for my boyfriend's 30th birthday, but sadly never made it. Two days before our stay (when we were already in Greece island hopping our way to Santorini), we received an email to say they had double booked and we were to stay in the nearby Andromeda instead.

The Andromeda was acceptable, but when you plan a special birthday trip you don't expect to be the ones that get 'bumped'. (The rest of our trip was based round the availability of this hotel, so to not stay there left a bitter taste).

In their defence, Iliovasillema did book us in somewhere else, but it felt a bit like booking and getting excited about going to Washington DC, and ending up in a Washington somewhere in middle America.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TravellingQuallie
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We spent about a week at Iliovasilema Suites and loved every second of it. Our room was excellent with private outdoor spa) with an excellent view of the sunset. It was clean, had cable TV, air-conditioning, cd, and all-in-all was a great place to head at the end of the day to rest our feet and escape the crowds and get out of the heat to relax. From the moment we were greeted at the airport we were well looked after by the wonderful people . Everyone there was lovely, and I really looked forward to the wonderful home-cooked breakfast every morning. It was a real treat.
I will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katerina p

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have stayed in Junior suite with Jacuzzi for 5 nights in this hotel and I have to say it is one of the best. First of all the hotel is located on the cliff in Imerovigli on top of caldera facing the volcano. The view is fantastic and you will never get bored of day and night. Also from there you can have easy access to Fira the living heart of Santorini.

The room is well maintained, clean and very comfortable. Housekeeping and room service were excellent. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is served to your private balcony every morning. So you can have your private breakfast while looking at the caldera.

The only downside was the WIFI connectivity. The hotel has WIFI connection but apparently due to its architecture the coverage is very bad inside the rooms. You will have to go to the balcony to use the internet and if you heavily rely on internet to organize your vacation like us, this could be some kind of inconvenience to you.

I would definitely stay again here and I recommend it to other people.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple