“Spectacular views, excellent service and accommodation!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iliovasilema Suites

Iliovasilema Suites
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
London, United Kingdom
“Spectacular views, excellent service and accommodation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our early morning check in request was arranged with no fuss and we were very grateful. Elina was very helpful in giving us a good feel of the island and offered great suggestions on places to visit, cruises and restaurants. Elina was exceptional in her conduct with us. Nothing was too much trouble for her and her staff including Alex.

Breakfast was served by Roberto (very sweet) at the balcony which has an amazing view of the caldera, skaros and oia in the distance. We were upgraded the next day to a Junior suite which has more space with a separate bedroom. We liked both rooms as they had private balconies and to be honest we believe most rooms would have lovely views.

The sunset here is spectacular and it's a really treat to be able to enjoy it from your own balcony. There is also a deck where you can enjoy the sun and views.
The location is just perfect as it's away from touristy Oia and Fira and offers the tranquility you seek on a romantic holiday.

I would take the negative reviews of this hotel with a pinch of salt as based on our experience this has been one the best places we've stayed in. We had a lovely time here at Santorini and would like to thank Elina and her staff for making it special.

M&M

Room Tip: If you want privacy request for rooms on the lower level if available.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandMtraveltips
louk7, General Manager at Iliovasilema Suites, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear reviewer

With this message we would like to thank you for visiting Iliovasilema Suites and for the time you spent on your review.

On behalf of our team and the new management I would like to express our sincere appreciation for your kind words and we all hope to see you again in one of your future trips in Santorini

Operational Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Widnes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Arrived in fog and winds, woke to the most amazing views from this hotel, away from the commercial cruise crowds yet a nice walk into Fira for evening dinner. The staff here are so helpful and friendly, particularly Eleana! Alex and new John. Very polite and nothing too much trouble. Ignore the negative comments on this hotel, if you treat hotel staff with respect, you will get it back. First time in Santorini , we are smitten and will return. Tip , pack only flat shoes and warm jumpers for the evening and most of all, chill out and enjoy

Room Tip: Highest rooms best - rooms 12, 13, 14
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JayneWidnes

Kent UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My friends and I stayed at Illovasilema Suites three weeks ago - just as the 'season' began. Yes, the weather was cold out of the sun, yes the rooms are cave-like, yes it wasn't 'high season' so not everything was available or open on the island. However, having read the recent reviews I wonder what on earth people think they are buying when they book into an hotel which is clearly built into the side of a volcanic cliff face and most likely improved upon old cave homes. This hotel is described as a boutique hotel - it is just that. It's quirky, fun, different, amusing, exciting sometimes (navigating the steps after a night sampling the delightful wine of island) but most of all it is totally unique. Find me anywhere else where you can bed down in a spotlessly clean suite (ours even had a bath in the bedroom - it was FUN) and wake up to a delightful man bringing your pre-ordered breakfast to you at a time of your choosing and opening your front door to one of the most breathtaking natural views in the world - a flipping volcano outside your front door for goodness sake! The staff - Alex and Elena included, despite reviews to the contrary - ensured that the hotel ran well and were always available and happy to answer questions, phone for taxis, give us island advice and generally have a friendly chat whenever we turfed up in reception. When the weather got cold one day, the heating in the room worked beautifully, when we had our one hot (well, warm) pool day we managed to order all the drinks we needed around the pool without any problems. And yes, the pool is small. It's built into the side of a cliff - it was never going to be Olympic sized was it? The terraces of the hotel have one of the very best views of the famed sunsets - and you don't have to jostle with other tourists to get a good view or photos, just step outside your room and it's all there. In essence, this hotel is for people /travellers who are able to appreciate that they are in a unique place with its own delightful differences and who are able to embrace the spirit and heart of a beautiful island in an exceptionally lovely hotel. Everyone we met was amazingly friendly - from the taxi driver who supplied us with the names of good wines, to the staff of the Two Brothers Bar in Fira who welcomed us like old friends on our second visit, despite us being somewhat older than their usual client group! This helpful and welcoming attitude permeated the whole island and made us feel comfortable and valued. I would return in a heartbeat and recommend that if you get the chance, you should do so too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank BimKentUK

Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here for a week from Sunday 27th April 2014 and cannot understand the negative reviews about this place. The views are outstanding from every level, the location of the hotel is perfect, the service from check in to breakfast brought to your room every morning at whatever time you want, to the daily housekeeping, restaurant & sightseeing recommendations.....nothing was too much trouble and the whole team of staff here were pleasant, enthusiastic and helpful. The accommodation was very greek, unusual, quirky, never stayed in a 4 star cave before!! Yes the weather was not brilliant and we experienced winds, rain and fog during our week here and I'm sure that is why there have been a spate of negative reviews. Hey you can't blame the hotel for that and it did not stop from us having a fantastic time in Santorini. Well done to Elina and the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 8 and it was just fab
4 Thank weaverbird1821

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Iliovasilema Suites seems to have it all from the outside looking in: room service, bar, pool, soaking tubs, large rooms, the most amazing view I have ever seen, and other amenities such as laundry service, which I was looking forward too after traveling for two weeks in Italy. However, the man behind the curtain is a bit different or shall I say it's different because it isn't "high season", and misses the point on what a full service hotel should be. Yet, if a hotel states they have specific services, they should provide them to you without excuse.
Upon my arrival, night had already fallen (past 17:00) so getting my bearings wasn't that easy, and a walk about the property wasn't offered, or even offered for the next day. After check in, we moved to our room and were told that we had been upgraded! I was static, however I noticed a lot of people were being told that, its hard to believe that they can "upgrade" so many people... however I'm sure this is to make them feel special...I'm not sure thou. But it seemed like a scam. Anyways, I started to get situated in the room, and read the hotel packet, which consisted of what the hotel offered, facts, wifi passwords, room service, massage menu, emergency info, and etc... After a quick glance I decided to revisit it later. However, within 10 min of being in the room we got a knock on the door and it was taken away from us. Never to be seen again, no that's not dramatics it's the truth. They kept telling us, we are printing you a new one, but nothing ever came of it.
On our first night we decided to go find a place to eat, since the hotel told us they were not serving food. So, we went to the lobby to ask for assistance, upon entering the lobby we noticed the manager was on the phone and she stated in clear English for us to hear something that was extremely inappropriate and unprofessional. Due to the inability to publish such language, you as a reader must fill in the blank, but just know that it was something no manager of a hotel should ever say in front of their guests, NO MATTER WHAT! Now, regardless of the situation that is NOT something I find appropriate for your guests to hear- you are the manager (Elena) of a hotel and should be professional at all times. If there is a matter that needs to be handled with that kind of language, do it somewhere privately. Not in your hotel lobby! As a manager you can justify this any way you want, but just know it makes you and the hotel look very bad.
After that interaction, I noticed that all of our interactions with the staff became very awkward and they were not helpful at all to my mother and I. It was a very interesting situation to say the least, and not very welcoming. I'm not sure if it was because we were to inquisitive or tried to be friendly despite our awkward interaction- but it did not make us feel comfortable or welcome.
Throughout our stay we kept being told it isn't "high season", yes, I know that, but your hotel is full of guest so therefor it shouldn't be too much trouble to get a midday coffee or even a drink by the pool. Which, we couldn't get because well.... You guessed it, it's not "high season" and the bar doesn't open till 6pm. Despite the fact that the bar was open and well on display, but no one was ever there! However, none of this information was ever disclosed to us on their website, it only speaks of the services they offer, which from my experience didn't exist.
Now Santorini is know for it's sunsets, so it would be nice to be able to get some drinks at the bar if one chooses. If your hotel is filled with guest and the rooms are not necessarily cheap by any means, then they should be able to take full advantage of the amenities that have been advertised to them. It's as simple as that. And made me feel like I was scammed.
Furthermore, when I travel I like housekeeping, but I also like my stuff not to be touched unless it's just to pick something off the floor I may have left. So, on the first day of house keeping when I came back to my room to find that everything had been altered I had a panic attack. My suitcase was not where I had put it, my mothers had been thrown in the closet with stuff of hers on top and my backpack that has all my travel info was thrown in there as well.... Not where I put it. When I travel- I set up my area in my room and don't see why it's necessary for someone to come in and rearrange everything. So, since there wasn't a "do not disturb" sign provided, I created my own- probably didn't go over so well. But I don't appreciate my things being all shuffled either.
When it came to finding out information about the island and where to go or what to do and how to do it, the front desk was not much of a help- yet again this information was probably in the hotel booklet, which I will never know. So, I ventured out on my own and figured it out!
On our last day, not only did we never receive our "newly" printed hotel directory, but I noticed on the last day, apparently they needed to print a lot of them and they were going door to door dropping them off, except to us, in our room- we still never received it. They just bypassed us, like we were not guest- totally invisible. NOT COOL!
The last day, it was the nicest day of our stay, so it was a pool day- well worth the relaxation. However, I wanted a margarita! I was finally able to get one- but it was all lime juice, couldn't even taste the tequila and 10 euro per drink- not cheap for lime juice! So, I ordered an extra shot to add in, again not very cheap. Not only was it my first drink of the stay at the hotel, but also the last. So, I decided against any more and realized it was an effort wasted.
Since, I created my own "do not disturbed" sign, I kept getting disturbed on why I didn't want the room cleaned....these interruptions thou lead me to the knowledge that our hotel had a "Living-room", I was like a "what?, where?" Little did I know that there was a room where individuals could go to use the internet, watch TV, listen to music, take a shower, or use the bathroom, which was closer to us than our room- and I had long pondered why there wasn't a closer toilet. Well, problem solved. A little to late thou. However, this was also probably in the packet.
All in all, the views could no be beat, and it was like nothing I had witnessed- true beauty, after all-this is why I came to Greece. Yet, if I were to return I wouldn't stay here again. And I would advise that if you are in search of a place, look into Kapari Natural Resort. They were right next to our hotel, and have the same view. However, it looks like despite it not being "high season", they still catered to their guests. Something that I wish I had experienced.

Also, this hotel totes that they have a TripAdvisor Certificate of excellence, and I suggest that this place be better vetted, because it is everything BUT excellent!

Side note: after traveling in Greece more I was informed it's illegal not to have a hotel directory that explains to your quests everything you offer and emergency info. Also, illegal to state you offer amenities but don't really have them. Regardless of seasons. Basically, DON'T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Don't stay near the reception, extremely loud and very busy area. You have no privacy and become...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank theRusticBlonde
louk7, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Iliovasilema Suites, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear reviewer
With this message we would like to thank you for visiting Iliovasilema Suites and for the time you devoted on your review.
We can clearly see that you have left our premises with a bitter taste thought we would like to thank you for giving us the credits that according to your own words Iliovasilema Suites seems to have it all from the outside looking in.
We would also like to express our honest apologies for any mistakes done from our side that may have discomfort your stay with us.
On the other hand it is our obligation to be more detailed on various points in your review.
According to our files you arrived in the Hotel late noon with our driver taking advantage of our private transfer services.
Our driver helped you with your bags in the premises and he personally delivered them in to your room.
You arrived at our premises around 14:55 long before the sun sets and honestly said you were not given a tour of the hotel at that time since you requested to check in your room the soonest possible and because the weather was too windy.
We have given you a sort tour of the hotel and the living room area the next morning after your breakfast.
Your reservation was for a double room and has been honored and upgraded to a Junior Suite with an outdoor Jacuzzi which is not mentioned in your review.
It is very kind of your to share the fact that you have heard us upgrading most of our guests.
It is a fact that we love upgrading people according to our availability since the hotel is just 17 rooms and suites and this gesture is always announced to the guests.
The room you received apart from amazing views offered a private veranda with a two post Jacuzzi sunbeds and a table with chairs where you could enjoy your room service meals.
Even though it is not an excuse for any omissions it is honestly said that April is not the highest season in Santorini.
Running through our files thought and considering your review it is clearly reported that during your stay you have received services such as :
• Our transportation services from at your arrival and departure.
• Daily breakfast room service delivered in to the privacy of your accommodation.
• Cocktails and shots from the bar.
• Daily maid service.
• Concierge services from the front desk staff and me.
• Pool and lounge area
At this point I would like to excuse my poor English but inappropriate language is definitely not included in our vocabulary either on or off shift.
You may be excused though since we have a busy a reception lobby and you may have overheard a conversation between guests or other visitors since as you honestly mention your room was close to our reception lobby.
We consider also fair to mention that we have respected your handmade Do Not Disturb sign and your request not to clean your room signed on your notes.
We have asked whether we should provide clean linens only once when we saw you by the pool area and only as long as we had the chance to interrupt your sunbathing.
We once again like to express our sincere apologies for any omissions to our services.
We are happy to accept creative criticism and we believe that challenge is to deal situations and give solutions on the spot rather than debating for them in the web.
It is a fact that hotels and their staff are always exposed to reviews and comments but we consider fair to present our side of the story as well.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Summer hadn't quite arrived when we did on 26 April, but given the stunning location of the suites high up on the cliff top with the most amazing views we were not disappointed. We experienced a storm one day, very high winds on another but the rest of the week was reasonable including 3 hot days at the end of our stay. We were on a Secret Escapes deal and, although we did change rooms, felt we had good value for money. The reception staff and manager were extremely friendly and helpful as was the ever smiling Roberto who delivered breakfast each morning at a time chosen by us the night before.
We particularly enjoyed the cliff top walk to Oia which took 2 hours (alternatively catch a bus). There are bus trips from Thira (15 mins walk) to other parts of the island as well as boat trips giving various options (these are best booked in town).
The Suites don't have a restaurant but there are 4 good eating places within 5 minutes walking. distance. We would recommend Enoti, Estia and La Maison.
We missed our early morning cuppa but should have checked that out ourselves and taken a travel kettle; also we only discovered the night before our return that there was a guests sitting room on site (with excellent free wifi connection). Wifi connection in rooms was a bit hit and miss. Info on the sitting room should perhaps be included in the hotel information pack.
All in all, a good week's break on a most beautiful Greek island.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 which has a bed alongside the wall (but does have a jacuzzi and very good lighting...
1 Thank HapppyEscapers123

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed on April for the Easter Holidays and we loved every moment!
Our room was excellent with a great view and the most magnificent sunset. The service was excellent and the staff and the reception were very kind and friendly. Special thanks to Elina Drosaki for her helpfulness!
I highly recommend it!