“Arrived as strangers, left as friends. Simply wonderful ! Panoramic views of Caldera and Skaros rock views.”

Iliovasilema Suites
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Location, Location, Location!

This is a perfectly positioned boutique hotel, that offers cave style rooms and cave style bathrooms in the superior suites. Our balcony, in room 7, offered uninterrupted, 180 degree views, and front of house seats of the amazing Caldera and the famous Skaros rock just below us.

We arrived late, in total darkness, and were met by John, the immensely cheerful and smiley late night porter, who warmly greeted us, took our breakfast order, and then escorted us to our room. We had a very clean, compact, pretty, boutique/ cave style room, and lovely ensuite with rain shower.

What a treat awaited us on waking the next morning, when looking out of our door which faced our balcony, was the Caldera in all its glory...the views were simply breath taking. The sunsets from here were also better than anywhere else: we always watched the sunset from our balcony, before we left for the restaurants. We felt it was definitely the best decision to stay here in Imerovigli, as it is a very well maintained resort area and everything is easy to get to. We felt it is better maintained, and much more upmarket than Fira, which is the port town, where all the cruise ships come in, and so Fira, although interesting, and fun to visit, felt more touristy, with more hussle and bussle, long queues for the cable car, and more people to squeeze past in the busy shopping streets. It all depends on what each person is seeking in a hoilday.

At the Iliovasillema Suites in Imerovigli, the staff were very friendly, extremely polite and very efficient.The team is superbly lead by Elina, the ops manager, who is clearly very passionate about ensuring everyone is happy, and has everything they need. She is so polite, warm hearted and respectful, and works very hard to offer an efficient service . She also offered great tips for eating out and places to visit. Alex, in reception, was utterly charming and so helpful. She also gave us great tips on places to visit, one being Tranquilo at Perisssa beach. We went and had a fabulous meal there.

Breakfast at Iliovasillema is continental style, with beautiful homemade fig jam and pots of honey, but you can also add to this by pre-ordering from the menu, e.g boiled eggs, fruit salad, ham etc ...all fresh and all prepared by Lia who served us our breakfast each morning, always with a smile and a genuine passion for excellent customer service. We also had lunch a few times on our balcony during our timeout from touring the island and on every occasion it was delicious! (It's a small menu but enough choice there for an easy lunch). Roberto also never stops smiling and always greeted us cheerfully. The whole team all work extremely hard and it can't be easy dealing with such a variety of clientele. Plus we had storms there for a few days...the stairs became rivers of water and the whole of Imerovigli looked liked someone had thrown mud everywhere. The staff worked tirelessly to clear it all up whilst trying to offer the usual services...they all stayed calm, kept smiling and got on with it.

There are some good restaurants in Imerovigli and Firostefani and more in Fira and Oia, Perissa and other resorts, so you will be spoilt for choice. There are a few supermarkets and a wine shop in Imerovigli and also a cash machine, just past the bus stop on the right, in the wall of Sunbird(?) Car Rentals.

We felt the views from Imerovigli are amongst the best in Santorini. We felt that Imerovigli gave the very best views across the Caldera and one could see both ends of the crescent shape of the Island ( you can't get this view in the other parts owing to the curvature of the cliffs) If you stay at the beach side of the island , you will miss the nightly sunsets and miss out on being in the most beautiful part of the island for the incredible views, but if you are on a budget, then Perissa beach is a great option, with lovely beach side bars and not too touristy. Perissa has a lovely chill out vibe. Also you can get a taxi back to Imerovigli for 20-25 euros depending on the time of night ( we went for the day and stayed for live music.The buses had long stopped running by the time we left!)

From Imerovigli, it is so easy to get to Fira on the bus (8 minutes) and from there to Akritori, Ancient Thira, Pyrgos, the Lighthouse, the airport, and also the islands beaches, all accessible from the central bus station in Fira.

You can also easily get the bus to Oia from Imerovigli (15 minutes bus ride), or in the other direction walk/get the bus/taxi to Firostefani (15 minutes walk. Take flat shoes, ladies, and a cardigan as its breezy most evenings!) . Make sure you do the walk through the incredible upper and lower pathways of Imerovigli to Firostefani and onto Fira, through the little cliff streets that are the essence of Santorini.

My second choice to stay would be Firostefani now we've seen it, which I also felt reflected the very typical essence of Santorini. Fira felt a bit scruffy/touristy by comparison. Oia was very pretty in parts, in the tourist street areas, but as it is at one end of the island, it is a bit of a trek to all other attractions, so it would be best to hire a car if you stay in Oia.

Would I stay at Iliovasillema again? Unreservedly YES! Especially for a special occasion, for the best views,for the customer service, and also because the price is more reasonable than other nearby hotels, all of which are small, (also check out laterooms.com for special deals). The staff here really care about their customers...I like the fact that they are genuine and when they smile they mean it from their hearts. They are sensitive souls who work long hours to create special memories for your holiday...please treat them with respect and be aware they are humans too, and just trying to do their very best for you.

It was my 50th whilst we were away and when we had come back from our day out the room maid, Joanna, who must have noticed my birthday cards had placed a posy of pretty flowers which she had hand picked and placed in ourroom. How incredibly thoughtful, and typical of the customer service here.., little extra touches of thoughtfulness that mean so much. It was so much appreciated. Joanna also is fantastic at cleaning the rooms! They were spotless after she had finished each day.

We just want to thank these wonderful people for making our stay with them such a positive and thoroughly enjoyable experience. They deserve a medal for all their efforts to offer consistently high standards of customer service, warm cheery welcomes each day, genuine concern for their guests, and a genuine desire to ensure all customers receive a high standard of service and happy experiences whilst under their expert care.

We will miss you guys. Thank you for making our holiday so special!

Hope this review helps. Wherever you stay, we wish you a wonderful stay in Santorini!

Room Tip: Room 7 superior room. Lovely room with corner balcony...great views of Skaros and Caldera!
7 Thank Claire5264

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Thank you Elina and all the staff for making our short stay with you so memorable. We had a wonderful stay in the master suite with a private balcony and it's own pool. We were delighted with our room but also had the opportunity to view some others which were also impressive. As far as we were concerned there was no need to visit Oia for the sunset we had an amazing view from our balcony. Breakfast was delivered to the room by Roberto who was always smiling. We felt Imerovigli was the best place to stay on the island. It's very easy to get around by using the very efficient, cheap bus service. All in all we had a wonderful time and would love to return.
Thank you, Elina, once again for all you did for us.

Robert and Heather

2 Thank Heather L
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

It took me awhile to write this review but here it goes. I booked this hotel two months before my arrival based on great reviews here on T.A. and I am very happy with my choice.
When I arrived at the hotel reception Elina greeted me with a big smile. But I had told her right away that I have a problem with my airline ticket and right there she said that she will help me fix it and not to worry about it.

So, she checked me in, took me to my room and showed the property. After I got settled in I went back to the office and with open arms she called Aegean Airlines to fix my ticket (eventhough she is busy) and after 40 minutes or so my problem got solved. I was very very happy and I told her that I have been to a lot of hotels and nobody has ever helped me like she had helped me. That right there is Pure Awesomeness!

The hotel is in a perfect location close to two very good restaurants Anogi & Avocado, there's a mini store down the street that sells water, stamps etc. About 10 mins. walk to the bus stop. My room was perfect, the view is magnificent and Sunset here is far better than Oia. the breakfast was served by ever smiling Roberto. Coffee,juice, croissant, white & wheat bread what more could you ask for? Some hotels don't even have breakfast.

The rooms are well cleaned and so is the common area. There is no request that is too difficult for the staff. I have requested to set up my umbrella, but because some of the staff are on a break Elina and Alex did it for me. Again, that is Pure Awesomeness!

I must insist that the location is perfect and unique. I would definitely come back here next year and hopefully with the same awesome staff,
When I left the hotel I felt that I am leaving my friends but not the hotel staff,

To Elina & Company thank you my friends for giving me happy memories of Santorini that I will always remember. You are all hardworking. You guys ROCK!!! C ya' next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank RUTQT
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Amazing views: sunset just as good from hotel as it is in Oia. Plus, almost a panoramic view of the caldera side of the island. Daily breakfast on the balcony was a highlight.
Rooms are fine: rooms were clean and all had great views with a balcony. I can't imagine any caldera views in Santorini have large or overly luxurious rooms due to the terrain and limited space, and this is no exception.
Hotel amenities are limited--the pool and lobby are small and there is no gym--but that's a function of being built into the side of the cliffs, which is the main reason to stay there.
Location: Imerovigli is more quiet than Oia and Fira, and has a few restaurants to choose from. Fira is also walkable. We rented 4-wheelers, which were a lot of fun to explore the island.
Staff was polite and helpful, and gave solid restaurant recommendations.
Value: after looking at other comparable hotels, I think this is one of the best values on the island.
Overall, this is great spot for couples at a reasonable price and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Matt B
Neath
Reviewed 29 May 2014

What can I say! From the minute we arrived we loved it here...we got there pretty late and were welcomed warmly and helped to find our room..or suite more like..room 16 is simply stunning, with a huge balcony and a cave for a bedroom, complete with native rock face! We nipped out for a quick meal at the nearby Avocado (great service, very acceptable food) and got our heads down.

In the morning we awoke to a view to die for...quite simply words cannot describe the majesty, the colours, the light...and all from over 1000 feet up! Breakfast was served with a smile as broad as the caldera every day by the delightful Roberto and followed by a tour of the facilities with the ever helpful and delightful Elina. After a brief look round we headed of into Fira on the path round the headland...nice walk of about half an hour, but watch out, it's a bit steeper on the way back! We did it twice on the holiday, (and by the end I felt it! especially on the calf muscles due to the return incline)...you can punctuate the trip with a beer at Sunset taverna which helps! Not for the week of knees or with kiddie's, especially in a pushchair, unless you want a hernia.

We also walked the other direction to Oia, well worth a visit, a bit more of a committed walk this one, taking 2 1/2 hrs with quite steep gradients and high drops from the path, take water and not really recommended without appropriate footwear (at least trainers). if in doubt, the buses all over the island are regular and cheap.

Other highlights were a boat trip on the "albatross" across the caldera, really helpful and interesting guide and commentary and generally just a really nice day out .

Food wise, the Anogi is probably our pick of the restaurants, just 10 mins up the road, ideal for working up an appetite or walking off a full belly - but get a business card from them early in your stay and BOOK, they get REALLY full in season and were already booked out in late May!

The taverna next door to Anogi (sorry name escapes me...) is perfectly fine as well, a bit more traditional Greek, and a bit more crash, bang, starters, main, salad, thank you and goodbye type service..but decent enough grub and a bit cheaper...

We simply stayed on our huge balcony a few days, taking in the jaw dropping view, enjoying room service meals (pretty reasonable for a nibble mid day) served on a table cloth, brought by the incredibly helpful and ever smiling staff once again! Reading books and peering through the binoculars at the comings and goings in the caldera, ferries, pleasure boats, sail boats, cruise liners...it a bustling little port!

All in all it was like being on a luxury liner moored up in the Med, I can't recommend it highly enough, Elina and Alex were sweetness itself, they could not do enough for us and are also true professionals, insomuch as they can book just about anything right from reception, from a wine tasting to an archaeological tour!

In finishing off, I'd like to wish all the hard working staff a very successful season, it's 7 days a week and 10 solid months of graft for them, how they manage to be so helpful, friendly and welcoming day in day out is amazing! It's clear they genuinely enjoy what they do and take immense pride in doing it properly.

We'll most definitely be back, Iliovasilema is a revelation in service...Anogi, Avocado..and all the other places we visited welcomed us and were so helpful and friendly that Mrs W was quite literally in tears of sadness when we left. Even the cleaners were quick, efficient and unfailingly polite and in fact the whole island is pretty spotless, they pride themselves on the fact.

TIPS: Take good walking shoes, steps, cobbles and rough ground everywhere.
Take a Fleece (at least in May or earlier) for the evenings and early mornings.
Don't go if you have young un's, the steep drops and stairs everywhere will have your hair white within a day. Not too good for those with mobility issues either as you'll simply miss loads and all the views worth seeing are up on the high Caldera.
Binoculars were a real bonus, I took little travel set and they were brilliant, you're so high up, you can look down on the birds!
It's more or less UK prices for food etc, don't expect a cheap holiday, everything has to be imported, (except some of the fish.. and the excellent Santo Wines!)

I'm not sure how (or even if...) it can be improved...oh yes, it would have been nice to see dolphins Elina...can you fix that for next time? ...ha ha...

Room Tip: Rooms 16 and 17 are in our opinion the best views in the hotel and quite private, though all have st...
5 Thank Craigbanwen
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I were in Santorini on our honeymoon and had a good time at Iliovasilema Suites. We booked this hotel based on the great reviews on trip advisor and were happy with our choice! About the people first - Elena, Alex, John, Arris and the entire staff needs to be congratulated on the great service. As other reviewers here have noted, there is no request that is too difficult for them and you get a sense that they are genuinely interested in making your stay as comfortable as possible. To give an instance, we arrived at the hotel around 9.30 pm dog tired after a 24hour journey and their kitchen was shut. Alex went out of her way to call a few restaurants to enquire about food options that worked for us and coordinated dinner. Assisting with local plans, recommendations for food places in santorini, assisting with travel logistics - all done efficiently and with a smile. On the last day, without my asking, Alex called our hotel in Mykonos and made sure that our pickup arrangements were in place.
About the place - the views of santorini are fabulous. That is what makes the hotel worth the price. Imerovigli is a quiet town about 25 mins walk from Fira and the city centre. We were looking for quiet and some peaceful time together so that worked well for us. The hotel is small and all the rooms are cheek-by-jowl. Our room (8) was a suite and good enough as suites go -not the most spacious rooms but not overly small also and with a small pool. However, there is no privacy since the pool is open and can be viewed from the pathway to the other rooms. The breakfast menu is quite limited, and other than coffees, juices and a couple of croissant, is chargeable separately.
All in all, this is a good place so long as you are fine with the close rooms and limited privacy - the staff in the place are absolutely first rate and make the experience entirely worth it!

1 Thank Jay G
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had to write a review as soon as I got home. Like most of you, I am a TA reviewer and I read and take to heart every review I read about a place we are going to. Weeks before leaving washington DC and heading to Greece, I read the nasty reviews some people wrote about this place and totally got scared. I even thought about calling to cancel so I can book our hotel elsewhere. However, after thinking long and hard about it, we decided to experience it ourselves.

our background and two cents: My husband and I are 30 year olds who love to travel and experience different cultures all over the world. We are aware that Americans often get a bad rep in other countries they visit because unfortunately, more often than not, most americans feel like the world owes them something. Most are loud and obnoxious and spoiled and expect the same treatment they are used to in the US. There are times that I walk with my head down when I see americans make a fool of themselves when they visit other countries. ANYWAYS... HERES MY HONEST REVIEW OF ILIOVESILEMA

Checking in: We touched down santorini after spending 2 days in athens. Our flight was at 5:15 in the morning and landed on the island around 6:30. I emailed Elina about checking in early but elina told me that she cant guarantee if our room will be ready since check in is at 2 PM. She also informed me that we are welcome to leave our luggage and use their lobby to rest which was great. We had our own transfer from the airport to the hotel and we we got to the hotel, bleddy was there to greet us with a smile. His english was poor but I told him that maybe we both can learn from each other since I also need to learn some greek. We laughed and he escorted us to the lobby guest area and enjoy the view. Less than 5 minutes later, he walked back down and informed us that our room was READY! We were so happy since we didn't really expect our room to be ready this early since we got to our hotel 7 hours before the check in time. The room was a good size, clean, we can shower, sleep and maybe even watch TV at night. More than what we expect since we plan on NOT even being in the room as much. We usually use our hotels everywhere we go just to SLEEP in after exploring. Alex, John, Elina, Roberto was so nice and helpful for our 6 day stay. I don't understand why people would complain about them.

Breakfast: I read that the continental breakfast was not enough. To our surprised, it was more than we bargained for. We had coffee, juice, delicious croissant and white, wheat bread! What more do you want! Some hotels don't even offer free breakfast. They are always timely. Just make sure that you order them ahead of time if you want it at a specific time.

Cleanliness: The staff was always amazing when it comes to cleanliness of our hotel. Everytime we get back from our adventure, our room was ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS clean and untouched. If you're a dirty rat and leave your crap on the floor, of course they will "touch" and move it to put it somewhere else in the room. I didn't even have to use the safe. Nothing was missing when I got back.

View: OMG! AMAZING! The pictures will never capture its true beauty!

Service: Thank you Elina, my girl ALEX, JOHN!!!! and roberto for your hospitality!!! We will never forget our talks in the office and the help you guys have offered to one needy couple! hahaha Thank you for suggesting ANOGI and Avocado for our dinner reservations. IT WAS YUMMY!

We will miss you guys and can't thank you all enough! Hope to see all again soon!

Mr and Mrs Moses