“If you want to fall of the face of the earth, stay here”

Rocabella Santorini Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
“If you want to fall of the face of the earth, stay here”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Rocabella was suggested to us by our travel agent for the last leg of our honeymoon to Greece. While all of the pictures/reviews we read on it were amazing, we decided- sure, why not splurge and go out with a bang. Shouldn't have done that....

It's not close to anything. ANYTHING.

My husband and I frequently walked to the next town over (which name escapes me right now) just to go to the little mini mart and actually see people. The hotel is beautiful- no doubt. So clean, very pretty- but I should have realized we would want more of an atmosphere since we like to be around people and party.

I felt like I couldn't even yell here and if I did- someone may have thought I was in trouble. It was super super super SUPER quiet. Also- the other thing that we just could NOT understand was the music they play in the pool area- very odd mix of listening to Louis Armstrong one minute, then the Gorillaz the next.

Everything here is severely overpriced- the food, drinks, places they suggest for car rental, etc. We did some basic searching on our own and found that we could get around just fine using the bus system (which we did the entire time we were there)- no car rental needed. Comparing this to a similar hotel we stayed at in Mykonos- it just doesn't compare. This gives the impression of super ultra exclusivity but you don't find that out until you get there and pay too much for it.

Our room was again..something we didnt understand. We paid a lot of money and are pretty sure the room the bed was in was the same size as the bathroom. The balcony was amazing with the private hot tub- but it was SUPER windy some nights which made sitting out there hard because of the decorative curtains they hang out there. Again- just comparing it to other hotels in Athens and mykonos that we paid less for- we just got less value here.

If we do go back to Santorini, we now know to stay closer to Fira. This just wasn't for us, but I know others may love it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6- giant balcony, private hot tub. SUPER small bedroom.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarsmore
ROCASS, Manager at Rocabella Santorini Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your useful review since Rocabella takes under big consideration our entire guest’s feedback and always try to improve its services according to your comments.
Thank you also for your kind words regarding our property cleanliness and beauty. I totally respect the fact that you would like to be closer to party and crowds. It’s a fact that Roacabella is located at the edge of the caldera cliffs and offers the ultimate relaxation and peace along with breathtaking views. This is an integral part of our services and I am really sorry if your preference was different to what we offer mainly in our premises.
Regarding the wind during night this is something that happens sometimes in all Cycladic islands and is a fact that you should be aware that it might happen while visiting the Greek islands (especially the ones that belong to the Cycladic party).
I can understand the fact that you wish to be closer to the city, and that you would like to have more people and party around you. Every guest has its own aspect and its own vacation style and this is totally respectable.
Thank you once again for your useful comments and be sure that every review is a valuable factor regarding our improvement and development
Savas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My opinion is tainted after having stayed at a boutique hotel for a few days prior to staying at Rocabella. The Rocabella property is very nice with several pools with great views and the rooms are clean and modern. A few of the pool umbrellas were broken and so there wasn't any available for us to use, which was inconvenient. To me, it's the little things that make a difference between a great and average hotel, and in comparison to a boutique hotel, Rocabella is a OK hotel. The location of Rocabella is also kind of remote from central Imerovigli and trying to catch the bus from there is pretty difficult since most buses that reach the bus stop by Rocabella are full.

The room we stayed in was great, but the walls aren't as thick as they may appear. You can hear footsteps and balcony furniture being moved from the room above and hear noises from the adjacent balcony - this wasn't fun to discover the first night sleeping there. Breakfast buffet was good, but doesn't compare to having breakfast served every morning on our private veranda, as I experienced at the boutique hotel.

2 Thank chicagokims
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Thank you for your nice comments regarding our property and views.

Regarding the umbrellas at the pool area I am sorry if you have experienced such a thing since by all means we do not wish any of our guests to feel inconvenient during their stay. We will definitely make sure that no other guest will have such an experience.

Rocabella is located 500m away from the village of Imerovigli away from the center and that is a fact that helps us to keep the ultimate relaxation and contemplation along with spectacular views. I agree with you that the buss could sometimes arrive at the Rocabella stop full but this is something that happens during in August when the island is packed and full of visitors.

I totally respect the fact that you prefer more the boutique hotel style accommodation. Rocabella is a resort and is one of the biggest hotel’s in Santorini that are located right at the edge of the caldera cliffs and is consisted of 43 rooms and suites. You cannot compare a unit as Rocabella with a small boutique hotel since are two different things and two different style of accommodation.

Still though once again I respect your aspect and the fact that your preference regarding accommodation is keener on boutique hotels than resort style units.

Thank you very much for your helpful review. Each guest’s feedback is a key strength towards our improvement.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed at the Rocabella from August 28th - September 3rd.
The hotel is beautifully positioned on the Caldera with 4 swimming pools and rooms are very clean. I see there are comments from past guests that the rooms are a little small, this is common practice is Europe and having travelled across Europe the rooms are a good size. More importantly, the rooms are brand new with all the necessary modern amenities.

We arrived very late on the night of August 28th and were put in a smaller room as the hotel was unfortunately over booked. I discussed this with both reception and the Hotel manger and they were very prompt in taking care of us the first night at no charge and upgrading us to a nicer room first thing the next morning. They simply went beyond accommodating us and truly made us feel like guests.

Elena, at the front desk, truly understands how to look after guests and was very accommodating and helpful with all our requests. She even booked us further hotels for the remainder of our vacation and constantly was offering to help. Her professionalism and integrity are truly superior.

Bottom-line, is if you want to have a peaceful relaxing vacation at a superior hotel (lovely grounds) - I suggest you stay at the Rocabella. It combines the modern trend (which a lot of North Americans are accustom to) with the traditional Greek Flare that we were craving. In addition, the hotel also hosted 2 weddings while we were there and they were beautifully orchestrated to say the least

I would recommend this property to any couples, group of friends.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Beautiful view of the caldera at Santorini, friendlly, very helpful front desk staff. Nice rooms with greast views. Away from the crowds at Fira, but well located on the island

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for the Santorini leg of our honeymoon after arriving from Crete and going to Naxos afterwards. When we left we both shook our head and thought, great view, but not really worth the expense. When we got home, we honestly felt that based on other sunsets you get from other Greek islands/parts of the world - maybe a bit pricey for what you actually receive and probably wont recommend Santorini to friends because it wasn't an authentic experience (read: EXTREMELY commercialized). To the Westerners out there, we paid 300 Euros/night and I thought we would get value - think again, you don't get anything close to what you might expect at 300 Euros ($420 CAD)/night accommodation. Your money will definitely go farther and get you more value in other areas of Greece.

The pros:
Staff was friendly: Welcoming when we arrived and courteous at breakfast and lunch. They offered us a free drink when we arrived and had a bottle of wine in the room waiting for us.
View was great: You see breathtaking sunsets from the balcony of your room
Breakfast was okay: We only stayed for 3 nights and the breakfast was the same every morning. As basic spread of assorted items - the same stuff daily.

The cons:
Location - not close to ANYTHING. There are only 39 taxis on the island and you'll need to either grab one or wait for the bus if you want to leave the hotel to go for dinner, shop or see other parts of the island without walking an hour first. This hotel is outside of Imerivigli and in other posts described as being in the countryside. Wish we knew that before we booked.
DEAD - The hotel is a barren desolate place where no one talks above a whisper. I thought staying here in August would that it would be jumping, however that was not the case
Posers - Of the people that were around the pool, it seemed most of them were waiting for the paparazzi to arrive so they could have their picture taken. Not very typical of what we found places to be like in other areas of Greece.
Food - As mentioned breakfast was okay, but 'pub fare' around the pool for lunch wasn't that great and was extremely overpriced for what you actually receive. Portions were small and the Santorini pasta/Souvlaki/Hamburger/Meatballs were not that great.
Windy - This place was so windy that it was borderline on frigid sitting around the pool. I've heard that's not typical but I don't have anything else to use as a measuring stick in Santorini. Maybe the august winds?
Beds - Not what we expected for 300 euros even if they are going for a minimalist feel - get a bed that's ultra comfortable and people will be much happier when they write reviews.

All in all, if you're looking for a place that's barren, overpriced and has nice views, then Rocabella might be your bag. That's not really our taste and we found places with a lot more character on other islands. Hope that helps.

2 Thank NickToronto_Canada
Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my apologies if Rocabella didn’t fulfill your expectations during your stay in Santorini.

After reading your comments very carefully, I have the feeling that your bad impression does not include only your stay in Rocabella but Santorini in general. This is something that could happen since not all people have the same expectations and the same holiday style while visiting an island in Greece.

I agree with you…Santorini is extremely commercialized since it has been voted as no1 destination for vacations worldwide from official traveler’s magazines. This fact alone though could never be enough if is not accompanied by a well organized hotel and excellent services. This is a fact that we take under serious consideration and I am really sorry if you find any weak spots in our services during your stay.

Rocabella belongs to Imerovigli district and is 500m away from the closest village (walk able in 20 min) and 1km away from Fira (capital of the island). The location offers the ultimate tranquility and relaxation therefore most of our guests are delighted by this fact. I totally respect your aspect that this was not what you were looking for though…

Regarding the food I am really sorry if you find our portions small or the food was not up to your standards and be sure that we will try to improve our food services after this comment.

I am really sorry if the weather was windy during your stay but this is something that happens sometimes during August in all Cycladic Greek islands. This is what we call ‘’the meltemia’’ which means the winds of August.

As for the comfort of the beds this is a comment that is received for the first time but still we are more than willing to examine it and improve our bed facilities it after your review.

Thank you once again for your useful feedback and I assure you that Rocabella hotel is a unit that reads each comment carefully, takes under big consideration all critics and always try to improve its services. Our main goal is to offer excellent customer’s services and unforgettable stay for every guest!

Regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My partner and I were treated to a week in Santorini to celebrate our friends 50th birthdays who surprised us with staying at Rocabella...and what a wonderful surprise! The setting is magical and then some and every single person on the Rocabella staff are lovely and helpful. Anthony, Michael, and Daniel were particularly lovely and so helpful with tips of local places where we should eat and visit. Our room was very nice, large, and had fantastic ocean views of Oia and the volcanic island. The daily breakfast buffet was delicious! The 4 pools were each unique - loved the one that had nice tunes piped in to set a good energy as you relaxed. We can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grant_L_NYC
Dear guests,
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our hotel and services.
We are more than happy to receive such positive comments.
Your review filled us with great pleasure knowing that we have participated in order to have a pleasant stay during your holidays in Santorini.
Looking forward seeing you again in our property and offer you the best of our services.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 24 August 2011

The hotel has a magnificent view and watching the sunset was the only thing you can actually enjoy in that hotel. They keep calling it a resort for reasons we never understood. It's certainly not a resort or they don't know what a resort is. The rooms need a major redecoration and there was no wardrobe for our clothes. The walls had cracks and the toilet needs to be painted. Breakfast was very poor and even though you are informed that it is served until 11:00, you'll end up starving if you go after 9:30. They don't really renew anything that is empty. Also nobody's ever there to ask for anything that's missing... coincidence? All tables were full of empty plates from people that finished their breakfast. Nobody was there to clean them so most of the times there was no table available. The restaurant (if it can be called a restaurant) had no kitchen at all and you were wandering where the food comes from... It was horrible due to the unstable quality of food also. After ordering the same main course twice we saw that the amount of our meal was reduced to a ridiculous level keeping the price exactly the same.

Room Tip: There are rooms that do not have a great view and these are the bottom floor ones
1 Thank George T
Dear guest,
First of all thank you for taking the time to write this review, but please allow me to express my aspect regarding this review that is not very rewarding towards our hotel and its services and is away from what we truly offer to our guests.
You decided to write this review while you were staying with us. Your reservation concerned 8 nights of accommodation in Rocabella. On the second day of your stay we saw all those bad comments on trip advisor without having any notice or any kind of complain from you. Since Rocabella is taking under big consideration all comments and reviews we immediately try to investigate if the guest that wrote this bad review was still with us…and this was a fact. You were still staying with us and we got informed that you had all those issues through trip advisor and not direct from you since you had 6 more nights to spend here. Allow me at this point to say that even if all those things were true you never gave us the opportunity to be informed for your problems and in parallel you never gave us the chance to help you.
Therefore we approached you kindly in order to be sure that this review was written by you and you confirmed this fact. Immediately we tried to understand your aspect and we were willing to solve your problems first of all regarding your room by changing it but you didn’t accept our help and preferred to stay in the room that we gave you from the beginning. The room above is characterized from you as poor regarding wardrobes but this is a part of our minimalistic decoration and is something that is also clear on our website’s photos. The bathroom that you mention that needs to be painted, allow me to say that all our bathrooms were renovated in 2010 and follow a special Cycladic style that does not allow us to intervene with paint. If this style is unfamiliar to you and in to your eyes looked that the bathroom had to be painted, then I apologize.
I respect your comment regarding breakfast services, even though what you describe above is something that is far away from reality. The breakfast buffet is available from 8:00 until 11:00 and if something finishes it takes us 3-4 minutes to refill it. Therefore when we were discussing your issues in person here, and in our concern to make you feel more convenient we offered you the free breakfast room service which is available for every guest according to their preferences regarding food selection and time of delivery and again you refused to receive it.
All our efforts in order to resolve your problems and make your stay here pleasant , were denied from you I still have the same question in my mind…: Why did you still preferred to stay in a room that was good and have breakfast in an area that was not worth it for the 6 following days? This is a question that I have expressed it to you in person when we had our conversation here, and even then the answer from your side was not clear…
As for the food services we took your comments under big consideration and we have improved our quality and portions. This is a true fact and we thank you for this useful feedback.
Rocabella gives a close attention to all guests that choose to spend their holidays with us and respects all comments and all reviews… Bad or good ones.
In your case though even if some of the things that you describe were true you never gave us the chance to help you and hear your problems since you were still here! Please allow me to characterize some of the things described above as exaggerated and far from the truth and the services that what we offer to our customers.
Please give us the chance to experience the real Rocabella services since I am sure that during your stay all the above described is a part of a misunderstanding. Allow me to offer you a 3 days complimentary stay in our hotel whenever you wish to have it.
I still remain at your disposal for any further discussion,
Thank you again for staying with us and hoping to see you again in our premises.
Vasiliadis Savas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imerovigli
Pegasus Suites & Spa
Pegasus Suites & Spa
#17 of 51 in Imerovigli
Petit Palace Suites Hotel
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Iliovasilema Suites
Iliovasilema Suites
#21 of 51 in Imerovigli
San Antonio Suites
San Antonio Suites
#13 of 51 in Imerovigli
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments

Been to Rocabella Santorini Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!