Read the reviews and weighed-in on the price and the availability (mid-June 2014) and so we took the plunged and book this hotel.
WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE:
1) Caldera view - only if you are on the top floor occupying room 1, 2, 3 and 4. Gorgeous caldera view slightly (very only slightly) obstructed by the electrical wires, and the hotel in front. The balcony is perfect for lounging, sun-tanning, breakfast, pretty much to chill out and yes, you get your amazing caldera view.
2) Close to the main road - therefore you are not dragging your luggage that far like some hotel. They don't necessarily have a concierge to help you with the luggage. Not easy to find if your driver is not familiar - your landmark should be the mini grocery in Imerovigli
3) No frills - this is not a boutique hotel, more like a upper scale backpacker which was perfect to what we were willing to pay at this time. We stayed 3 nights. The bed is hard - like most reviewers mentioned. It's a foam mattress on top of a concrete bed frame.
4) Rooms - super clean, super spotless and towels are changed daily. They are also quite spacious, more than enough for 2 people.
5) Very friendly staff - the 2 young ladies are super friendly. However i don't think they are quite experienced in managing the hotels as there were a number of confusion, miscommunication and lack of initiatives on some of our very simple requests and questions.(tour bookings, car, laundry) which showed lack of experience more than anything. They did so well in receiving us though - with complimentary wine and traditional wine to taste when we checked-in
A few things they can improved on:
1) Pillows - for 2 person, there should be more than just 2 pillows
2) Towels - guest should be able to bring towels when they go for boat trips
3) Breakfast - they should cook eggs differently everyday, (not just boiled daily), especially for guest staying more than 2 nights. They bread, we find, were always too hard or a bit stale. The second day we bought our own breakfast from the nearby grocery and pastry shop
++If you are looking for a "budget-caldera view hotel" - this is your top pick! The hotel provides and amazing panorama of the caldera minus the hefty tag price.
++If budget allows, book the top floor room #1,2,3 & 4 - it's worth the upgrade. Don't get the reception level room - it's way below street level therefore I can only imagine it's very dark. At the very least, get the 2nd level - you still get the view and a nice little balcony.
++You can take taxi from the airport - it's dime and a dozen. Just make sure you have the instruction and the right landmark for the hotel.
Yes, I will still recommend this place. We stayed 3 nights and we had very minor complaints. Manage your expectation - it's obvious with the price tag. This isn't a full-on serviced hotel however this is way more than adequate for you to be able to have a magical time in Santorini. I would still choose this hotel - and stay at room #3!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Booking.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Azul Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Hotel Santorini/Imerovigli