“Sunny Villas 10 out of 10” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Sunny Villas
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
London
“Sunny Villas 10 out of 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

We had read the reviews on trip adviser prior to booking Sunny Villas and having seen all of the positive comments our expectations were very high. Needless to say, Sunny Villas exceeded those expectations and more! We completely agree with others that Imerovigli is the place to stay. It has the best views, it's away from the tourist traps (which are very easy to visit), and has plenty of good restaurants very nearby. With regard to Sunny Villas, the rooms are beautifully finished with a lot of character, the balcony is the perfect spot from which to spend hours reading and enjoying the beautiful sunsets. Like others on this site have said, Andreas could not have been friendlier or more helpful. He recommended a bunch of restaurants, we tried them all and he was right every time. Santorini is an amazing place and Sunny Villas is the perfect place from which to enjoy it. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stay in Imerovigli - it is the highest point of the caldera edge, quieter than Fira (which is accessible by foot in 15 min along a caldera view footpath), with a sunset view comparable to anywhere else on the island.

Stay at Sunny Villas - Private balconies with uncompromised caldera views, nearby bus stop and car/atv rental access... you will not check in and then look with envy at any nearby hotel. We walked Oia, Fira, Kamari, etc and would not have stayed anywhere else.

Andreas and his brother Michael run the show, and were by far the most responsive of my Greek contacts when planning the trip (often responding to my email questions within a few hours). They greeted us every time we walked past their office, and offered us many suggestions on how to enjoy the island. A cautionary note for different tastes though... if you are looking for a tuxedo clad servant or a butler when you travel be aware that Andreas and Michael left the impression of genuine hosts. This authenticity enhanced our experience, creating more like a bed and breakfast atmosphere.

No hotel with an impressive caldera view has walking access to a nice sandy beach. We took the bus, but had more fun the next day renting an atv for 24 hrs (20 euro).
We chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews that were so positive I suspected Andreas was writing them. I was nervous because, despite the advertised 'volcano view', google maps sometimes placed this hotel on the low elevation east side of the island. These hesitations were unfounded. I guess sometimes even Google gets it wrong.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2010

When I first booked our Greece trip (with the online travel tool we were using), I was a little disappointed that we couldn't get a room in Oia, the most popular location. What we didn't realize was that Imerovigli is the best location on Santorini ! Not only does it directly face the caldera, it is much more quiet than the other two villages (which were beautiful yet touristy), yet a nice walk away from Thira. If you want to hang on the beaches on Santorini, you would have to rent a car (no matter which village), which with Andreas' help, we did, and that was fantastic ! Andreas was an amazing concierge/guest services/manager/wizard ! We were upgraded the first night of our stay to the two bedroom, but we were just as equally thrilled with our smaller studio. Just amazing. There are restaurants and a food market nearby. There is the classic church nearby where, at sunset, we witnessed a wedding procession to - right in from of our balcony ! And the view from ANY Sunny Villas balcony ? So magical I expected a unicorn to fly by ! Sunny Villas is perfect for a romantic, relaxing stay, where one can enjoy the spectacular views, take the path to Thira at night, and rent a Smart Car to see Oia and the beaches.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kmcgawtx
rethymno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2010

fantastic room....excellent service....and the best view of the island

andrea and mixali thank you for the best 4 days we ever had in santorini island.....
we are looking forward to come as soon as possible....

marios - violet
and childrens

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

As part of possibly the last family holiday my family would ever take together - ie. my sister and I moving out, this was a hidden gem. (We stayed in the room that's displayed in the images with the kitchen.) 3kms away, along a goat track, from Fira, the hotel could not be situated better. Beautiful sunsets, beautiful views, fantastic time.

The hotel is self-catering, and for a family like ours, this was exactly what we were looking for. We stayed five days. Down the road is a minimarket - be warned; it is down the road. The rooms are clean - although could use a paint job - but very tidy. The cleaning ladies swaped the sheets often. We picked this hotel based on the other positive reviews we'd read on this site, and definately were not disappointed.

Being on the south-western side of the island, the apartment was a dream to come back to during the hot hours of the summer days. It was very cool in the shade, and the swimming pool was easy enough (and close enough) to dip to cool off. (Be careful climbing the stairs with wet feet! They aren't kidding when they say there's lots of stairs - they're also very steep stairs.)

The service was fantastic; the men in the office helped us set up internet on the laptop (I can't remember if there was a charge?) and even offered the best restaurant in Imerovigli: a lovely tavern-type place, where the locals eat, is just near the "carpark area" at the top of the stairs (msg me if you'd like better details), and offer traditional Greek food at a reasonable price - there's no view, but you've got your apartment for that after dinner/sunset drink.

I was surprised how much I liked Santanori as a whole - at the end of the five days, I didn't want to leave! And I know it definately had to do with the location, the friendliness, and the comfort provided by this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank honeyelle
Tucson AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

This was by far my favorite place! Words and pictures cannot do it justice. We arrived late (after 11:00 pm) with our extended family and Andres helped us carry our luggage and then upgraded us to a wonderful suite. The suite had two separate bedrooms with jacuzzi tubs/showers, a full kitchen, an outdoor jacuzzi with an elevated deck which overlooked the caldera. I honestly thought I was in heaven on earth! Michael and Andres were very helpful in steering us to good restaurants which were also reasonable. We ate a lot in the room because our view was better than most of the other restaurants which charge an arm and leg for the view alone. Andres called us with the scores as the US soccer team played Mexico because we did not have access to the channel it was on! He used to play for the Greek National Team. We had a great time with the two brothers.

I only hope I can go back some time soon. It is an amazing place to visit and staying a day while on a cruise ship will not do it justice! The island comes alive at night! We were in Fira for a festival, complete with dancing and local wine.

Andres and Michael, we look forward to returning and enjoying your hospitality soon!

Bobby and Nancy Soltero

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soltera
New York City, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

If you are looking for a taste of the original Santorini with a touch of contemporary modern sprinkled into the mix, than Sunny Villas in Imerovigli is the place to stay. Andreas and Michael joint owner and brothers work hard to keep their guest comfortable. I chose the cave studio which was clean and well maintained with an air of old meets new. The smart décor is well blended making you feel as if you are in a magical place of past and present. I love experiencing other counties and their cultures and this place has the ability to supply the look and feel that faithfully conveys Santorini. The location is great because it affords you great sunsets no matter what time of year you visit. You have a perfect view of Oia and the Volcano as well as a wonder volcanic rock formation which lies directly in front of the villas without obscuring the view. The villas are positioned a few flights of stairs below the main part of town but the most important perk is its’ location which places you smack in the middle of Oia and Fira. The walk to Fira on the cliff side is paved and takes about 20 minutes, something you should do at least once coming and going. The walk allows you to see the island’s coast line, shops, restaurants, and many villas and their gardens, all beautiful in their own right. Of course if you wish to take it easy there is always the bus which is a 7 minute ride to Fira. You can also take the bus in the opposite direction to arrive in Oia in less than 10 minutes. However, if you like hiking you can walk the trail on top of the cliffs and arrive in Oia in about 25 minute, just beautiful. The volcanic rock formation that sits in front of Sunny Villas can also be explored if you want to undertake the climb, or you can just admire its beauty from your balcony. If you are lucky you will experience the music of many a musician or singer who climbs to the top of this volcanic monument and serenades those close enough to hear but if you stay at Sunny Villas you will enjoy every note. I am happy I found this place since the pictures I viewed online clearly represented the cave studio I stayed in, no hidden agenda’s. I was well taken care of and quite pleased with my hosts who did their best to keep me happy and allow me the privacy I yearned for, not an easy balance to maintain. If there was anything I needed or wanted all I had to do was ask and they were more than willing to help out. These brothers are wonderful human beings and they work very hard to make your stay a memorable one, do yourself a favor take my advice stay at Sunny Villas it will be a wonderful memory you will cherish forever. Sunny Villa’s is a reasonable price and a great place to get a taste of it all.
Just a little note: Breakfast anywhere in Greece rarely varies so unless you can find a Sheraton think about going to the store to pick up some figs or stop by the bakery and buy some pastries as an add on to you breakfast, the idea is to go with the flow and experience the culture, the people and the beauty of the island. Have fun and cherish the moment.

Stayed October 2009, travelled solo