“Three days in paradise”
Review of Afroessa Hotel

Afroessa Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed there for three nights during the high peak season. Thanks to the amazing service provided by the hotel, those three days were well spent. They arranged us a transport from the port and as soon as we got there we knew we made the right choice. The view is something you never get used to. The volcano, the dozens of ferries and little boats that are sailing around santorini, the endless sea and the blinding sun.

There really is nothing bad to say about Afroessa, we stayed in the deluxe room and it is absolutely beautiful, equipped with anything you might need. Everyone working there is as helpful as they could be as well as very pleasant to talk to. The swimming pool area is also great, they have a bar that works until late at night and long chairs that face the amazing, uninterrupted view.

I would recommend this place to couples without any second thoughts. Imerovigli is the quietest place in Santorini while still being on the cliffs and maintaining the beautiful island architecture. Afroessa is at the end of Imerovigli which offers peace and privacy. Simply AMAZING!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Afroessa Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We (family of 4) stayed here at the beginning of June 2012. Lets start with the view, I would describe it as heaven on earth. We were in staying in Room 7, with a balcony that was overlooking the pool and of course the incredibly spectacular Caldera. We stayed for 3 nights, but wished we had stayed for more. The rooms were very nice and easily accommodated the 4 of us. My wife and I, stayed in the bedroom and the kids stayed in the TV room, which had one bed/couch and a fold out bed (I have attached a picture). All beds were very comfortable. As the room is built in the rock, there is air conditioning and a dehumidifier to remove any moisture in the air. The free Wi-fi was very good, although it was not working well in the bedroom. The staff were excellent, Aliki, Joanna and not to forget Eddie (who helped with the bags and any maintenance). Aliki organised a cab to pick us up at the airport (very similar price to a taxi fare, just over 20 euro) and later a car to hire.
Being in Room 7, meant walking down about 3 flights of stairs, but that is what make Santorini a beautiful place, being so close to the steep edge of the caldera.
I wanted this time away to be special and we were not disappointed. Thank you Aliki, Joanna and Eddie.

Room Tip: Stay in Imerovigli, it is one of the highest locations above the Caldera. Two rooms have a balcony...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We had a minor problem with our transfer from the port to the hotel but Joanna, the owner and her team, resloved everything so well that we soon forgot about it and when we saw the view from the hotel over the Caldera we new we had come the the right place. The hotel is beautifully situated with fabulous views of the Cladera and sunsets from all of the rooms. We loved waking up to the sight of the blue skyand sea from our window and breakfast on our private terrace was fabulous. The studio room was stylish and very clean whilst retaining a simple Greek feel to it. The pool area was never busy and provided a wonderful setting in which to relax.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here in July of 2012. As far as the view is concerned, we felt like we could not possibly have found a better place, and certainly not at such a reasonable price. All of the staff were helpful & accomodating, including carrying our luggage up & down 4 flights of stairs, which is not to be taken for granted in Santorini. I recommend asking for Aliki when you make your reservation. English is her first language, which also made it easier to communicate with her than some of the other places we considered.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We have been last here on a mini hop of the islands, finding a nice hotel in Santorini at a not extortionate price was a challenge, I ended up iN Afroessa balancing the reviews of other travellers and happy I did.
The place itself is really nice, the room was great and with a very good view over the caldera (view is everything in Santorini). Aliki was a great host and her hint about what to do and where to go proved very useful, especially, letting us capitalising on the small amount of time we had! Definitely go early morning to oia! Yes there are better placed hotel (in OIA) and possibly more fashionable but when you pay 1/5 of that price and you have almost the same and you are very welcomed like we felt in Afroessa, this is the place to go!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I overheard a Greek-American from Astoria say "awesome" while he was checking in and speaking to the kind and attentive Aliki at the reception, as I was counting the steps going back up to my room from the private pool in the caldera. Yes, this place is truly "awesome"!

I am quite difficult. They call me "EL EXIGENTE", yet I have nothing negative to say about Afroessa. We stayed in Room 2 for two nights in July 2012, It's just above the reception. It's the room with fewer steps to the road if your knees ache and bother you the way mine do. It's a long haul down to the pool (100-120 steps) but if you take your time , no problem. After all, this is the caldera!

I have been to Santorini four times before over the past 6 years and usually stay in Fira where the action is. This time I returned with my very closest Greek friend - who is a guide in Crete and the Cyclades- and insisted: "Forget about Fira. Look for something in quiet Imerovigli." I did the research and the comments on Trip Advisor convinced me.

What should you do? Rent a car,(I prefer SANTOSAN. They pick you up at the port), do some shopping at the Carrefour supermarket near Fira, buy a few bottles of dry white NYKTERI Santorini wine to drink during your private sunset from your private balcony along with some cheese or other Santorini nidbits, then head directly to Afroessa. The public parking is very close to the hotel.There is a fridge in all of the rooms and between the swimming pool, the room service (reasonable prices for salads or an omelette) - in the room or at the pool bar -, the excellent breakfast served on your private balcony, the fantastic view and your own private sunset you will probably do what we did. The first night we stayed at the hotel, ordered a salad and an omelette instead of heading for a nearby tavern. And the last day we spent the entire day at the pool ordering souvlaki from a local delivery place which delivered directly to the pool. And we had some cocktails from the bar at the pool every day.

Of course we drove around a bit OIA, FIRA, PYRGOS, visited the newly opened AKIROTIRI archeological site (which has been closed for 7 years after a collapse which killed a UK tourist), but we already know Santorini well and we were so thrilled to return to our calm hotel, the attentive staff available until 22:00 and ready to please, and of course,the wonderfully kind owner Joanna who makes sure that everything is perfect. Joanna will even show you the pictures of the ruins she purchased 13 years ago. You need to use your imagination to picture the old winery that stood here. She has done a fantastic job, decorating each trolodyte room with 5 star taste.

I can't wait to return here, far from the FIRA and OIA crowds in the laid back village of Imerovigli.

It may seem a bit expensive, but the prices are high in Imerovigli,during July, especially if you want the caldera view, a private balcony,(light breeze included)- with no obstructions- a decent room and a private pool. When I left I felt that it had been worth every centime. Afroessa is a true 4 star hotel. [N.B.: I looked at a few places nearby which were 50 Euros cheaper than Afroessa per night, but the pool at one place was a large jacuzzi on the road and the rooms at another place nearby looked like a dormitory. There was really no comparison with Afroessa.] And there is only one Joanna and one Aliki!

Hold on to Room 2! I will be back next summer!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Typam
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Words can not express the joyful emotion my husband and myself have for this amazing place. This was our first time to Santorini and it will not be our last. We fell in love with the passionate people of this spellbound Greek island. And Afroessa Hotel was the reason why. From the very beginning Aliki was there ! Her kindness and patience was "First Class". Aliki guided us the whole trip, from emails,phone calls, airport pickup/drop off and departure. Not to mention everything in between. The staff was perfect and kind and I know it's because of the owner Ioanna. We consider her family and we teared up leaving her and Aliki on our departure. This special place represents a vision and desire to please each person with the utmost of Greek hospitality and in our view is unsurpassed. While others stay for shorter visits due to viisting other islands. We were there for 6 days. And didn't want to leave !! Each room has it's own personality and true Greek influence and a perfect view of the Caldera. (We were in room # 2) We had always heard that Oia was the place to stay. But our minds were qiuckly changed. AFROESSA Hotel is the place !!! There is NOTHING the staff will not do for you. Just ask, Aliki will make it happen. We are planning a return because I left my heart there. What more can I say? Just Go !!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imerovigli
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Pegasus Suites & Spa
Anteliz Suites Santorini
Astra Suites
Astra Suites
#6 of 51 in Imerovigli

Been to Afroessa Hotel? Share your experiences!