We had originally booked a suite at another hotel, On the Rocks, which was under renovation as we got to Santorini. We were then 'upgraded' at La Maltese where we stayed for four nights.
At first sight, the hotel location is amazing, and the terrace, bar and pool area view is breathtaking. The hotel offers good amenities: a spa is freely available for private customer use, incl. jacuzzi, hammam and sauna. Although the temperatures in the jacuzzi and hammam were not always optimal (a little chilly), we found the spa very convenient for some relaxing and romantic time. The staff lights up candles and dims the light when you use the spa, adding a nice touch to the overall impression.
The restaurant provides an interesting menu (decently priced) in a fusion of greek, italian and more western dishes. It is not to be recommended for travellers looking for a typical greek food binge, but the food is nonetheless interesting and well balanced. On the breakfast side, this hotel provides a-la-carte service of outstanding quality. Definitely one of the best breakfasts we have ever had. The products are fresh, all the classic dishes are remarkably well done.
We experienced a near downturn as we were originally set in one of the rooms on the parking side of the hotel (which others have extensively described in their reviews). This room, although tastefully decorated, was simple, dark, and quite depressing. We did not notice any particular 'issue' with it; but it wasn't the romantic, caldera setting we had booked at On The Rocks. We raised this issue with our concierge, Adelina, who was very empathic and dedicated in her attempt to set us in a more convenient room. About four hours after we had that discussion, we were relocated in a suite on the lower terrace of the hotel.
This room, a duplex suite, was wonderful. It was tastefully decorated, with a stone-carved bed and walk-in closet upstairs, and a huge open shower downstairs. The view from the terrace was mesmerising. One of the most wonderful places we have ever stayed in. One small, negative point for the room (although it is due to extraneous factors, i.e. the season), the room was extremely humid at night. Our clothes dampened, even in drawers and closets - but this was far from dramatic.
The staff and service at La Maltese was of the highest standard and should be commanded. The concierge was constantly present, extremely efficient, courteous and voluntary. The service staff was very friendly and dedicated, achieving a very rare balance between respecting the customers privacy and easing them into conversation. The rooms were constantly kept clean and fresh, the housekeeping was remarkably thorough - especially since their staff worked in very rough and windy conditions during our stay.
Overall, this experience was fantastic and memorable, and we hope to be able to come back. Things may have been different if we had stayed in the parking-side room, or if we had not taken advantage of discounted rates for the rooms (both at On the Rocks and La Maltese). Nonetheless, this is a place that I could highly recommend, especially for an off-season trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the highest point of the Caldera, 250m above the sea on the top of the traditional village of Imerovigli, with spectacular views of the village, the cliff, the volcano, the famous sunset and the Caldera rim 10 km from Santorini International Airport and 10 km from Athinios Port 3 km from the capital of the island, Fira located La Maltese Estate, a neoclassic mansion-captain’s house, a true sample of luxury and culture have been renovated and converted to a luxury exclusive Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Bookgreece.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Maltese Estate Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Maltese Hotel And Restaurant
- La Maltese Estate Villa Santorini/Imerovigli