“the hotel which chucks you out, unless you're getting married there”

La Maltese Estate Villa
Ranked #41 of 50 Hotels in Imerovigli
London, United Kingdom
“the hotel which chucks you out, unless you're getting married there”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

As everyone else says, Adelina is an abolute gem. Roger was sweet to me on the last day but not before, Nick is amazing and clearly insanely overworked. But the rest no - don't go near it I'm afraid. This was my first ever solo holiday. And on the first day I wanted to go home. My room was not sea facing as I had been promised but backed onto a tiny passageway near the road. My bed was up a perilous wooden staircase. The enitre 'suite' stank which I mentioned several times though nothing was done. At the other end of the room were the staff quarters so I could always hear plates being washed up, orders being shouted and the preferred space for smoking fags was right outside my bathroom so I had to close my window when showering (thus capturing the pong) without being seen. The phone didn't work (though the lovely Adelina let me use the hotel phone, but I therefore had to do so in public). The TV had only local Greek channels, no satellite tv. The pool is tiny and impossible to get out of - why no steps or ladder? It really put me off getting in and was made worse by the fact that you are forced to gaze at all the other nearby hotel' far superior pools. Nothing was 'included' at all - not even water - at these prices, one would expect a bottle of water in the room. Other hotels (Fours Seasons and the like) bring guests bits to eat or drink around the pool - they aim to "surprise and delight". There is none of that here - no one even asks if you woudl like a drink when you are at the pool. Each time I wanted something, I had to go and find someone , even knocking on the kitchen door. There are nowhere near enough staff - at times (breakfast) one waiter was serving all the breakfasts, managing the reception, taking room service orders and then delivering them. He couldn't do it all and it certainly was not his fault. There is so much corner cutting in this hotel. The company with whom I had booked had messed up my dates to I was forced, ont the spot to pay for two whole days that I wasn't there even though I told them that I woudl sort this out from England. Again this is not normal practise. None of this would have mattered TOO much but on the Saturday, at breakfast I realised that the (very samll) hotel was hosting a wedding. Non one had told me this on booking, nor on checking in nor even the night before. It then became apaprent, that the hotel was expecting all of the guests to leave for the day and evening becuase the wedding was taking place throughout and the kitchen etc was closed for guests. No one apologised. No one explained. No one said "we have a reciprocal arrangement with another hotel so do go there for the day" or "here's supper on us". Nothing. We either had to stay in our rooms, food and drinkless or leave until the next morning (apart from sleeping). So basically La Maltese is making a fortune from its paying guests who it then turfs out to make a simultanous fortune from a wedding party. Without explanation or apology! I've never heard of anthing so greedy or ill mannered in my life. No where else in the world would do this, with no notice and no compesnsation. The next morning the poor staff were exhausted and things were even slower than usual. I heard three other couple being taken around to check it out for their weddings - this is obviously a frequent occurence and each couple is assured that the hotel will be "all theirs". Adelina is wasted on this place which simply exists to strip its 'guests' of cash. Steer clear. And someone else snap Adelina up fast.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
10 Thank claregriff_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Sadly this hotel was most disappointing, especially since they charged such high prices. It used to be a Relais and Chateaux and has since been dropped from the list with good reason. It is now an SLH instead.
The suite itself was decorated quite nicely. However, many things did not work. Both toilet seats were half broken and would slip to the side while sitting on it. The shower would go cold after 10 minutes. There was no ipod player. Considering how much they charged for the room, I would expect much better facilities. Also the wifi did not work most of the time and I found myself rooted to certain positions in the room since it was the only place I could get some reception.
The pool is tiny. It is more like a dipping pool and the deck is quite crowded. People who are not staying at the hotel can look into the hotel at any time. There is no privacy at all.
The food at the hotel was also mediocre, despite having a michelin starred chef. We ended up only eating there once and that was by far the worst meal of our whole trip.
The only reason I have given this hotel a slightly higher rating than I actually would have is because of the service. The hotel manager was really fantastic. She was always friendly and helpful and made the hotel very warm and welcoming. The hotel staff in general were very good.

2 Thank alondongirl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

La Maltese is located at the top of Imerovigli and at a fairly good location. The host Adelina is probably one of the most attentive managers I have ever met. She is a lovely lady and took care of us from the minute we arrived until the minute we left. Always smiling and went out of her way to make sure our stay was a nice one. We really felt at home.

However, the La Maltese property had some imperfections. There was an electric cable running across the front of the hotel which blocked the beautiful view. The rooms were large but not very clean with old furniture and stereo. Cleaning service was below par and sheets were not changed regularly and amenities were missing. There is virtually no phone reception and internet connection was poor during the day (and much better early in the morning and after dinner which was strange...) The restaurant has a Michelin star chef but we were frankly not impressed with the food and was not good value.

There are not a lot of shops/restaurants around the hotel, but it still has good access to the rest of the village and the Skaros rock which is pretty cool. You can walk to Fira in 20 minutes or take the super scenic hike to Oia in 2 hours. Imerovigli is probably the best place to watch sunset in Santorini so many days we went to the Rocka cafe which is a few steps away to enjoy the sunset. Mezzo restaurant nearby was good and Anogi which has a high rating was mixed since the pork dishes were hugely overcooked (like a rock!).

If it were not for Adelina, I would have given a much lower rating to La Maltese. Adelina really compensated for everything that the hotel was missing and made our stay a memorable one. Thank you Adelina!

2 Thank toucho
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Adelina and her team went above and beyond for my husband and I. Our flight into Santorini landed at 6:30am, therefore we arrived to the estate at 7:00am. Without hesitation they greeted us with a coffee and a substitute room to rest before our Caldera Suite was ready, they also offered us a beautiful breakfast. Once we settled into our suite (accompanied by a welcome drink + sparking rose and fresh fruit in our suite) we enjoyed the beautiful sun deck and view of the Caldera, hightest point in Santorini and my opinion best view (especially of the sunset, don't go to Oia for this if you have your own private view, too crowded). Adelina was amazing with dinner suggestions and reservations, every restaurant our reservation was under La Maltese and the restaurant took extra special care of us. We rented an ATV for the day, Adelina had delivered to the estate! It was beautiful, the staff was attentive and even remembered how you liked your coffee. If you want a luxurious stay, amazing view, clean space, (pics on trip advisor are old, they have renovated and is brand new, I am picky so trust me) hospitality and a worry free vacation...then stay at La Maltese, your vacation will be complete. Wish we were still there!

Room Tip: Did not have a fitness center, but was fine because the hike to Fira was a good enough workout. Spa...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patricegradyerickson
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed 10 June 2013

WE had to rent the entire hotel in order to have our daughter's wedding reception here. Staff was fabulous in last minute decision to move reception dinner inside due to high wind. Food was delicious and staff attentive.
Only the immediate family stayed in three of the rooms we had rented. As the hotel has just been repainted and decorated, everything was fresh and clean. Rooms we had were large and roomy and had an Oia look as they were built into the side of the cliff. Linens were of a high standard and bed was very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was good even though they lost electricity for a short period of time.
Staff at the Maltese strive to help, but you will not find them as friendly as other locations on the island. They are professional but know they have an elite property.
My only other concern was seeing someone I did not know in the morning on a terrace of a nearby room. I never asked, but since we had paid to book the entire hotel, I would have been angry if I thought they double rented a room which is what I suspected.
Anyways, give them my highest recommendation because they did a wonderful job for our event.

Room Tip: Saw all rooms. There are rooms on side of hotel so if you want a view, you must ask for water view...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Countesthorpe
Reviewed 3 June 2013

In August 2012 my wife and I were married at this venue. The food and service was incredible! On our return in May 2013, we decided to stay here. The room was incredible, the food was believe it or not, a step up from our wedding which I thought would be impossible to achieve, but they did.

The intimate service was second to nontsetse terrace setting whilst the sun sets is something that will take your breath away. The food, well the steak was world class! It is my understanding that this hotel is seeking Michelin Status, and I believe they will achieve it.

Adelina Andreea has a magical touch, and she could not do enough for us. We will return, it would be a crime not to.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms
Deer Park, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is a review written by one who actually never stayed at the hotel. Obviously there's more to this story. Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted and then Adelina explained a major problem. Our room had been double booked to another party. You'd now expect the property to offer another comparable room, however, none was available. Adelina knew this was a very special anniversary trip for us and made new arrangements before our arrival. She booked us into a 5 star sister property just down the road, accompanied us to the new property to ensure our satisfaction, offered a full complimentary anniversary dinner in a private, beautifully decorated area on the veranda of La Maltese, with complimentary transportation that evening and to the airport the next day. The chef prepared a wonderful dinner and the wait staff was exemplary. Adelina's genuine concern for us was clearly evident down to the smallest detail of securing white rose petals that covered our dining area. There are many hotels on Santorini that boast spectacular views, but few can match the exceptionally attentive service, here or elsewhere, that we received.