“Unbeatable view!”
Review of Arc Houses

Arc Houses
Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Although a bit tricky to find, this place was a real gem amid a sprawl of other accommodation. Flora was an unbeatable host and was very enthusiastic about her island. She offered us juice when we arrived and several good suggestions for our short stay.

The small table on the veranda had an outstanding view where you could see both Fira and Oia and of course the gorgeous sunset. We were spoiled beyond doubt. Flora also arranged for us to have breakfast delivered from a nearby restaurant on our balcony, although I don't think she does this for everyone.

The room was separated into 3 levels - on the bottom was the bathroom and a spare room with a bed, the main floor was the kitchen, couch, and small table, and a few stairs lead up to the master bedroom, which was dreamily comfy. Lots of natural light and you can even see the views from bed!

When we checked out, Flora was not there so we left our keys in her office with a small note. Once she found it, she called us and apologized for not wishing us farewell, and asked to ensure everything was okay. One of those additional measures that you don't get from everyone.

All that being said, we paid the low season price for which it was great value. If we had been traveling in high season, the prices would have been a bit steep for us. In any case, we were very happy that we had stayed here, and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Mediterranean room easily stands out as the best in terms of views, privacy, and romantic atmosphere...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmiller11

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I am a little late in writing a review, however even though we have been home for almost a month, the memories of our time with Flora and Dora at Arc Houses haven't faded. We stayed in the stone room, which had a beautiful private balcony with a view to die for! I have literally got about 300 photos of the same view just at slightly different times of the day! Flora was the most welcoming host I've ever met and we left feeling like she was a friend. Dora was equally charming and helpful. Every attention to detail was taken from the moment I booked our accommodation back in May to the moment we departed. Anything we asked for we got, champagne glasses, restaurant bookings and attraction info. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Arc Houses, although would equally hate for it to become so popular that it changed, it is so perfect in every way. Flora you were wonderful and I really hope we can visit you again....I can't rave enough about your cracking apartments. I really do hope that we will be back. Thank you so much. Lucy and Pete

1  Thank loosea
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 night during my trip in June 2011 to Santorini. I was given a free upgrade of my room upon my arrival. Flora also took an effort to give me an overview of Santorini and also offered a welcome drink. The Arc House have one of the best view as it's very nicely located. There's a local store nearby when you walk to the bus stop. Can't wait to be back here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We enjoyed 2 wonderful nights at the Arc Houses. Being our first trip to Santorini, we were glad we chose Imerovigli and the Arc Houses. Very conveniently located for access to Fira, Ia, and buses to other island destinations. The main 'path' along the cliffs is only a few yards away - convenient but secluded enough from the constant traffic on the path. We were on the main floor in a two bedroom suite. Loved sitting on our patio for breakfast overlooking the volcanic islands and sea. We watched the sunset with wine and bread/cheese from their rooftop patio each evening - spectacular! Flora was a wonderful host - friendly, helpful in every way in arranging activities for us and recommending great restaurants, and let us stay most of our last day at no extra charge as no one was coming in behind us and we had a late flight. Only minor drawback was some of the fixtures in the unit are getting a little old, worn by use and weather, etc. but we'd go back in a heart beat. It was a great value and wonderful place to stay compared to some of the overpriced alternatives.

Room Tip: The rooms above the main floor have some pretty steep and narrow steps - if that's a concern, li...
1  Thank maka1205
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Cosy little place. Tucked in between a lot of other houses in the heart of Imerovigli.
The hostess Flora is great. She is a colorful character and she knows about a lot of little hidden gems around the island.
You get the rooms at a very decent rate compared with other places in the town. The room is so much better than the price dictates.
I guess the reason why you can get a bargain here is the lack of a pool and the crammed outdoor area. But I highly recommend this place for people who wants to get around to the islands beaches and explore. If you plan to sit by a pool and enjoy the view all day, you have to choose another place.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Like others here, I also chose to stay at ARChouses because of the Tripadvisor reviews, and I just wanted to add my thoughts as well. Generally speaking, the positive remarks are completely accurate. The rooms were pristine and charming, classically Santorini/Greek, the view was the best on the island, the terraces were very private and peaceful, Flora and Dora were as helpful/welcoming/friendly as could be, and the value was excellent.

Flora and Dora offered very personalized service that began more than a week before I arrived with frequent email exchanges about where to eat, what to see, how to get around, etc. I was a bit neurotic as I was traveling alone following business in Athens but they made me feel extremely comfortable.

I hadn't planned to use the kitchen but it turned out to be great because I was able to save some $$ on breakfast/lunch -- and with the million dollar view as a backdrop, I really didn't want to eat out anyway.

There aren't really words to describe how beautiful the view is. I was in the Mediterranean room which is the most private and peaceful of the 5 rooms, and has the biggest and most private of the balconeys. I literally had to tear myself away to go explore the rest of the island. My favorite time was from about 6-8 pm - I would grab a bottle of wine, bread, cheese and tzatziki at the local grocery store (yes, a convenient 5 minute walk) put on some music and watch the show unfold - the unforgettable sunset behind the caldera. It was quiet, peaceful and stunning - even spiritual.

As for "Mie N" who claimed to have seen graffiti - I think he needs either his vision or his memory tested - there was NO graffiti. True there was a building for sale, but only a truly miserable and/or spoiled person with no perspective on things at all could allow this to spoil the view. And I really cannot comprehend how s/he could characterize the service as "terrible." Flora and Dora could not have been more helpful and accommodating. Flora even lugged my suitcase weighed down by loads of work documents up the stairs to the street herself when I was leaving (as the porter had broken his ankle).

My only regret was that I could only stay for 2 nights!

Caitlin M

Room Tip: Mediterranean room was great, and if you are 2 couples or a 4 person family, the value is REALLY exc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank caitlin m
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We had 4 nights at the ARC House, Stone room, and wish we could stay longer. Imerovigli is really quiet even during the sunset, making it the best location (IMHO) to enjoy one of the most famous and beautiful sights in the world. Indeed, it offers complete unobstructed view of the Aegean sea which is fantastic even before the sun sets. We enjoyed the view at the verandah relaxing over the locally brewed Donkey beer and some chips. An experience we missed immediately after we left for Athens.

Location:
- ARC House is situated in a very good spot of the town. A short five minutes walk up behind brought us to the supermarket, restaurants (Bella Thira, Estia Grill house & etc) and bus stop in the town square.
- It is also conveniently located above the trail linking Imerovigli to Fira and also other dining options (Mezzo, Blue note and Spiliotica).
-Getting here wasn't be a problem as Flora arranges porter to meet and bring us over. After showing us once, we had no trouble finding our way back.
-The previous reviewer mentioned a dilapidated house with graffiti "in front". Actually, it is a property on sale far below the stone room near the church. It was not painted white like the rest but there is also no graffiti on it, just a sign that read the contact of the owner. Honestly, it is too small to be of note (it is really far below the ARC House) and not in a run down state either.

-Clean towels everyday.
- WiFi is available outside the room.
-A small functional kitchen and a nice fridge that makes ice quick.
-Unfortunately there isn't a pool here, had the urged to take a dip many times but this itch remains unscratched. Hope it would be possible for them to have it one day.
-There were no shampoo or shower gels. It is not much of an issue, just come prepared or buy some off the supermarkets.
-Air-Con doesn't give cold ventilation in the day BUT the room remains cool throughout the day.

Service:
-Service was without any doubt GREAT. Everyone was all smiles and friendly, from the reception to the porter. Dora orientated us to the sights and restaurants on the island when we reached and Flora ensured everything was going well whenever she meets us.
- Our rooms were cleaned everyday by a very nice lady and even though we disrupted her work very frequently one day, she was all smiles about it as well.
-Transfer service can be arranged at 15euros each way. I highly recommend getting a private transfer especially if you have bulky luggages because the bus service there isn't very tourist friendly.
-Breakfast can be arranged to be served at the verandah and is prepared by Spiliotica. Expect to pay about 15euros or more per pax. It is a great experience but I think the food doesn't have a wow factor to it.

Suggestions:
-Enjoy breakfast (self prepared or ordered) at the verandah over the cool morning and great view.
-Hike from the ARC House to Fira (and back, it is not as hard as it seems even though it is uphill) using the trail below. It was the most enjoyable walk we had in the trip. If you have time, explore the other side of the town, i.e. after reaching the trail instead of turning left for Fira turn right towards Mezzo restaurant. It is pretty nice too.
-There is a beach umbrella at the verandah which is useful during the day if you don't like the sun. However, during the sunset, removing it somehow makes the all difference in the world. It is pretty light and easy to do.

Overall, I think ARC House is a great place to stay in Santorini. The peacefulness and brilliant sea view was exceptionally romantic during the sunset.

Room Tip: Remove the beach umbrella at the veranda before the sunset, make a great difference to the overall v...
3  Thank Jay L