“Amazing”

Tholos Resort
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

This was such a great small hotel!! It was the peak of our three week vacation. The view, the service and food was soooo good, we had an incredible and unforgettable time. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in June 2011. If you go to Santorini then we would highly recommend that you stay on the West Side rather than East or South. The West side of the Island, and Tholos Resort particularly is quintessentially Santorini, anywhere else and you could just be in a European resort anywhere.

Anyway, onto Tholos. This small hotel is located amid the Rabbit Warren of boutique hotels on the lliff Face in Imerovigli. I would not recommend this place for toddlers or anyone with walking difficulties as there are steps to every hotel here.
Upon arrival and departure of the hotel however, the steps did not prove to be a problem as the excellent staff will porter your luggage.
The rooms are simply decorated but clean and everything you need. You have a fridge and sink area which is excellent for making up your own greek salads in order to save a bit on spending on room service or keeping those essential cold drinks. Breakfast was served within 10 minutes of our request every day on our balcony, overlooking the fantastic and unique views.

The pool area is just WONDERFUL, quiet and serene yet backed up with some 'eurobeats' in the background.The views are truly breathtaking over the Caldera; you don;t need to read by the pool, just take in the views!

Staff go out of the way to be helpful, ensuring a speedy service of drinks by the pool and throwing in the odd free Ouzo!

All in a wonderful few days of serenity in a breathtakingly beautiful place. Tholos hotel is exceptional value for money; some of the neighbouring hotels are slightly swankier but the prices are swanky too. You get everything you need at Tholos and more so would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lau_Jonboy
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

I stayed with a couple of friends for 4 nights - the room was comfortable, clean and sizeable to accomodate the 3 of us. Great private balcony, jacuzzi and stunning views. The staff were friendly, attentive and professional - in particular Christos and Voitek deserve special mention here. The F&B was extremely good - Voitek's menu was delicious. Would definitely return to Tholos Resort and to the wonderful people we met there. Thankyou for a lovely stay! Louise, Hong Kong.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Macau, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

It's hard to know what to say about this place. I started out very to be back in Santorini after 28 years since my last visit, even though my wife from Macao felt it was overpriced with no pick-up from the port, no luxury for the price, and just a great view. Soon I was unhappy since the person who checked us in told me that while we had no access to an outdoor jacuzzi, there was a jacuzzi tub, but when we got to the room there was a shower, not a tub, since we had received a free "upgrade" to the one superior room which did not actually have a tub. I expressed my dissatisfaction, and was encouraged to pay 100 euro more (50 percent increase in price to 300 euro per night) to have a room with a private jacuzzi, which I "strongly" refused. After visiting reception again, I was "reassured" by the other receptionist that while my room did not have a jacuzzi, it had a "hydrojet" shower! Ok, so I tried it out, and it didn't work properly. The lower right jet was too strong, and the other four trickled. Then the next morning I got really "upset" when I reported the "hydrojet" problem, and two staff in a row, the second of whom spoke good English, assured me to my face that the shower was working. After several "B.S." and "Not f------ working" replies on my part, the first receptionist and the first staff person came to my door, complained about my language, and offered to let us leave with a refund for the second night, since they didn't like having dissatisfied guests around. Too late. My wife was out on her own and unhappy, and I was not going to check out in her absence with no alternative room arranged. The receptionist also said that perhaps I should learn to control my anger, and I replied that perhaps she and her staff should learn to tell the TRUTH. So, I was not a happy camper. The next morning as we were checking out the staff painted the sidewalk in front of the reception office! Great timing! I gave ananti tip by stating I would definitely give no more, and left my luggage with a threat to sue if anything went missing. My wife was unhappy too, with bothe and the hotel, so she left on her own to explore Oia. I stayed in the neighborhood until the owner arrived at about check-in time, and I asked to speak with him. His conditions were "no bad words" and English-Greek translation by the first receptionist. I agreed, and to make a long story short, after a long and somewhat difficult conversation, we parted friends with a good handshake, a free lunch and a bottle of wine for me, and a promise to call a plumber to fix the shower, and to clarify the location of one of the photos on the hotel facebook page which I considered to be misleading. Bottom line, I left feeling vindicated, but knowing that when I next visit Santorini, I will choose different accomodations.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank JohnnyHerbseed
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

Tholos Resort was a great place to stay for our anniversary trip. We were always being asked if we were doing OK or if we needed anything. Hara and the rest of the staff were great. The only issue we had was that the thermostat on the outdoor jacuzzi was manual and keeping the water temp where we liked it was a challenge.

Room Tip: Be prepared for stairs!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

We have just returned from our honeymoon, 8 days spent at the Tholos Resort hotel on Santorini. An simply lovely hotel in an idyllic and majestic setting.

From start to finish we received outstanding service with genuine concern to make our stay just perfect. The two hotel managers, Costas and Hara, were a model of kindness, amiability and efficiency in attending to any requests such as booking restaurants/taxis/rentals etc.

The inclusive transfer service from the airport was a boon after the journey and we found we had been upgraded to a junior suite to mark our marriage (not necessary but a nice touch).

The early season weather didn't guarantee us wall-to-wall sunshine but our comfortable suite with lashings of hot water for baths and showers was a cosy retreat when the wind got up. When the sun did get to work, the terrace with pool and bar was a delight to sit on with book and gin, looking out on the stunning caldera.

Polish Chef Voitek was endlessly attentive and regularly seeks to enlarge/improve his menu - his seafood pasta is to die for. We ate on our private terrace every other night because the food was so good.

Any down-sides? We did find the bed rather too firm, there was curiously no overhead holder for the shower head (which had to be held), and the bar music was not our taste at all, but to raise any other very minor quibbles would be churlish.

This is a really stylish and friendly hotel in a stunning setting.

Room Tip: Studios or Standard rooms are away from the pool.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Our overall review of Tholos is a positive one. The view from the room is breathtaking. The reception desk individuals were very kind. Unfortunately, we stayed at the end of the season as they were closing. Food was limited. We called room service one night and the chef said he didn't have anything we wanted. He ended up bring us some rolls and feta cheese. Like many places on the island, we had many steps to get to our room, which was fine and expected. However, one night it began to rain; and my husband slipped on the slick steps and knocked his head on the hard stone. Reception saw everything. I called room service to ask for ice, as his head was beginning to swell. We never received it. In short, I think the staff would be kind and accomodating, but just wanted to start their holiday.

The room was clean enough. We had some weird bright blue liquid that crept out of our toilet (again, we asked reception to look into it, but didn't). The bed was clean, but hard. The shower was clean with decent water pressure.

Overall, one of the better places we stayed in Greece. If returning, however, I may look into another place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple