“Great location, spectacular view, attentive staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tholos Resort

Tholos Resort
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
British Columbia
“Great location, spectacular view, attentive staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My daughter and I spent 4 days at this resort and enjoyed the amenities. With only 12 rooms you get personalized service. The view was second-to-none. While the hotel room was as advertised (spacious) and very clean. I expected more for what we paid and certainly wouldn't characterize this as a 4-star. For example, bath products provided were limited. Breakfast was ample, simple and adequate, but provided very little in terms of variety. We tired of it after the second day. The food provided wasn't very kid-friendly - no cereal or toasted bread. It seems we paid a premium for access to the most amazing views of the caldera. Our deck was private and large; we loved spending time watching the comings and goings of the port. I should mention that the pool is very small and very chlorinated. It turned the lining of our bathing suits yellow. We did enjoy the food provided by Voitek (who is a very talented chef and very service oriented.) A special mention also goes to Christos. Free wifi is a plus (but only works at pool or on your deck) The staff were very attentive and provided recommendations for dinner and activities. We would definitely return to Santorini! But be forewarned, the island is very expensive - be prepared to pay a premium for everything!

Room Tip: Stay in room 205 for a private balcony & access
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

We spent only one night at Tholos resort, but it was wonderful stay. Very kind personnel, good price/quality, situated in the heart of white anthill, wonderful view on Caldera. You are enjoying your wine in the pool with the nice romantic view on the best sunset seen ever) The only mines is steps..steps...steps. Be ready for steep steps)) But if you want to get into the heart of the paradise and uncover the true Santorini sense you need to do some gym) Take walk around.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I have stayed in many locations in Santorini and this would have to be my favourite. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and AMAZINGLY fit, running up and down the many stairs delivering breakfasts at a rapid pace. They will meet you up on the road to assist you with your luggage. Great location, within a short walk of a variety of tavernas, supermarkets, rental cars etc. It is a lovely 10-15 minute walk along the Caldera to Fira and only a 10 minute taxi ride to Oia. The pool area is lovely, with a great all-day lunch menu. If I had to fault anything, it would only be that the bed was slightly hard for my liking. Apart from that - PERFECT!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

This was such a great small hotel!! It was the peak of our three week vacation. The view, the service and food was soooo good, we had an incredible and unforgettable time. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in June 2011. If you go to Santorini then we would highly recommend that you stay on the West Side rather than East or South. The West side of the Island, and Tholos Resort particularly is quintessentially Santorini, anywhere else and you could just be in a European resort anywhere.

Anyway, onto Tholos. This small hotel is located amid the Rabbit Warren of boutique hotels on the lliff Face in Imerovigli. I would not recommend this place for toddlers or anyone with walking difficulties as there are steps to every hotel here.
Upon arrival and departure of the hotel however, the steps did not prove to be a problem as the excellent staff will porter your luggage.
The rooms are simply decorated but clean and everything you need. You have a fridge and sink area which is excellent for making up your own greek salads in order to save a bit on spending on room service or keeping those essential cold drinks. Breakfast was served within 10 minutes of our request every day on our balcony, overlooking the fantastic and unique views.

The pool area is just WONDERFUL, quiet and serene yet backed up with some 'eurobeats' in the background.The views are truly breathtaking over the Caldera; you don;t need to read by the pool, just take in the views!

Staff go out of the way to be helpful, ensuring a speedy service of drinks by the pool and throwing in the odd free Ouzo!

All in a wonderful few days of serenity in a breathtakingly beautiful place. Tholos hotel is exceptional value for money; some of the neighbouring hotels are slightly swankier but the prices are swanky too. You get everything you need at Tholos and more so would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lau_Jonboy
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

I stayed with a couple of friends for 4 nights - the room was comfortable, clean and sizeable to accomodate the 3 of us. Great private balcony, jacuzzi and stunning views. The staff were friendly, attentive and professional - in particular Christos and Voitek deserve special mention here. The F&B was extremely good - Voitek's menu was delicious. Would definitely return to Tholos Resort and to the wonderful people we met there. Thankyou for a lovely stay! Louise, Hong Kong.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Macau, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

It's hard to know what to say about this place. I started out very to be back in Santorini after 28 years since my last visit, even though my wife from Macao felt it was overpriced with no pick-up from the port, no luxury for the price, and just a great view. Soon I was unhappy since the person who checked us in told me that while we had no access to an outdoor jacuzzi, there was a jacuzzi tub, but when we got to the room there was a shower, not a tub, since we had received a free "upgrade" to the one superior room which did not actually have a tub. I expressed my dissatisfaction, and was encouraged to pay 100 euro more (50 percent increase in price to 300 euro per night) to have a room with a private jacuzzi, which I "strongly" refused. After visiting reception again, I was "reassured" by the other receptionist that while my room did not have a jacuzzi, it had a "hydrojet" shower! Ok, so I tried it out, and it didn't work properly. The lower right jet was too strong, and the other four trickled. Then the next morning I got really "upset" when I reported the "hydrojet" problem, and two staff in a row, the second of whom spoke good English, assured me to my face that the shower was working. After several "B.S." and "Not f------ working" replies on my part, the first receptionist and the first staff person came to my door, complained about my language, and offered to let us leave with a refund for the second night, since they didn't like having dissatisfied guests around. Too late. My wife was out on her own and unhappy, and I was not going to check out in her absence with no alternative room arranged. The receptionist also said that perhaps I should learn to control my anger, and I replied that perhaps she and her staff should learn to tell the TRUTH. So, I was not a happy camper. The next morning as we were checking out the staff painted the sidewalk in front of the reception office! Great timing! I gave ananti tip by stating I would definitely give no more, and left my luggage with a threat to sue if anything went missing. My wife was unhappy too, with bothe and the hotel, so she left on her own to explore Oia. I stayed in the neighborhood until the owner arrived at about check-in time, and I asked to speak with him. His conditions were "no bad words" and English-Greek translation by the first receptionist. I agreed, and to make a long story short, after a long and somewhat difficult conversation, we parted friends with a good handshake, a free lunch and a bottle of wine for me, and a promise to call a plumber to fix the shower, and to clarify the location of one of the photos on the hotel facebook page which I considered to be misleading. Bottom line, I left feeling vindicated, but knowing that when I next visit Santorini, I will choose different accomodations.

• Stayed June 2011