“Tholos - the lost paradise”
Review of Tholos Resort

Tholos Resort
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
London, United Kingdom
“Tholos - the lost paradise”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Tholos comprises a small group of hillside rooms and the pool/ bar area. It is so alfresco that there is no indoor area (and you really don't need one), apart from bedrooms obviously, which makes you feel like you are a bird living in a tree! I could feast my eyes on this view for hours on end, it is transfixing, hypnotic and healing. The most photogenic place I have ever stayed. You feel like a Greek god indeed, surveying the entire cauldron that is the curved Santirini archepelago. I have never aspired to have a holiday home, much preferring new places to visit and stay, but this is the only place I have stayed that I dreamt of having one! Except that having one would mean being deprived of the superb hospitality of the Tholos team.

Room Tip: Some balconies you have to walk through to get to your room, so if you want an extra private room, a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
TholosResort, Manager at Tholos Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Thank you for writing a review for Tholos Resort. Indeed, Imerovigli is the most photogenic place we've ever been as well. People should definitely bring a camera when they visit Santorini.
We hope to see you again in Tholos!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

**Location**

The hotel is located in a town called Imerovigili. The town mainly consists of 4-5* hotels but also houses a few restaurants. It is a very quiet peaceful area and a great place to relax and feel like you are away from it all. We visited all other towns on the island and none were quite like Imerovigli…yes it may not have everything there on your doorstep (bars, shops, restaurants) but it was so relaxing.

The hotel is roughly a 15 minute taxi journey from the airport. Upon booking we were asked if we would require a taxi transfer to be booked via the hotel for €20 each way. I compared this to prices on HolidayTaxis and found it to be a very good price so asked the hotel to book this for us. Imerovigili is a 30 minute walk from capital city Fira where you will find plenty of shops, bars, restaurants. Therefore you are not too far away from everything. The walk is on a popular path along the cliffs and there are several bars and restaurants along the way.

The buildings are literally built into the cliffs which looks amazing and means the hotels have an amazing view. Beneath the buildings is a sheer cliff drop which is quite nerve-wracking but also amazing and so different from anywhere I have ever been before. Due to the way the buildings are built there are many steep slopes and steps which must be used to get around. Tholos itself is built on a few different levels and you have to walk down steep steps to get down to the rooms from the reception. We are both young and healthy therefore this didn’t pose a problem to use, however anyone who struggles on their feet would find this part of the island difficult if not impossible. There are no lifts and not many slopes for wheelchairs therefore its really only for the able bodied. Despite this the hotel staff do all they can to help and insist on carrying your suitcases up and down from your rooms etc.

**The Rooms**

You enter the rooms via the balcony as because they are built into the cliffs there is no other way in. The balcony was very large and offered a picture perfect unobstructed view towards the sea where we could see Crete in the distance and watch the sunset at night. I have never seen such an amazing view, never mind had it on my own balcony and found this to be the highlight of my visit. On the balcony there was a table, 2 chairs and a parasol.

The room didn’t disappoint either – I was already aware that the room wouldn’t be quite as modern as our usual choices but I actually really loved it and in the end was glad it wasn’t too modern as that wouldn’t really have suited the place. The room consisted of 2 areas, the lower area near the balcony doors was like a mini lounge / kitchenette. There was a sofa with a large glass table, and nearer the window was a chair with a purple material cover, another small table and a writing desk. The kitchenette included a work surface, sink, full size fridge and basic crockery, glass ware and cutlery. The large fridge offered storage for our own wine and water supplies which proved very useful and a step up from the tiny minibar style fridges that we usually find in hotels.

The second area of the room was slightly raised from the first area differentiating it from the rest. The bed was king size and was one whole bed (not 2 beds pushed together) It wasn’t really comfy but didn’t really bother us, however anyone suffering with back problems may have found it uncomfortable. Opposite the bed was a dressing table with mirror and a wardrobe. I was pleased to see the dressing table as I like to get ready in front of a decent mirror and not in the bathroom. There were also plug sockets located right near the dressing table so I could dry / straighten my hair. The wardrobe was slightly smaller than I would have liked and only had a very small hanging area with few hangers, so most of our clothes were left folded on the shelf.

The bathroom really let the whole room down. To me it looked extremely dated and very old as though nothing had been upgraded for a long time. Everything seemed to have a yellowy tinge even the mirror. Despite this everything worked well in the bathroom, the water was always hot and the shower was powerful. The shower was actually in the bath but the shower head was attached to the wall and there was a shower curtain which was fine.

In terms of freebies there were some mini shower gel and shampoos in the bathroom and in the fridge we were given a complimentary bottle of local white wine and a few large bottles of mineral water. This was such a nice touch, it was lovely and generous to get the wine and we enjoyed it whilst watching the sunset one night. But even better was the water, I always find the first thing you need when you arrive in a hot country is water and of course you can’t drink from the taps in Santorini, so it was brilliant to be able to pour out some cool water when we arrived and have enough to last for the first couple of days. We were also given a while towelling robe and matching slippers each which were great for chilling out in before getting ready in the evening and gave the stay a luxury feel.

There was never any noise in the hotel and our sleep was peaceful and uninterrupted. Despite the bar being open until late no loud music was played.

**Cleanliness**

The whole hotel was kept really clean. The maid visited our room every day and cleaned it well and left fresh towels daily. We saw the maid around the hotel but were never disturbed by her and got the feeling she tried to make sure we were out when she visited which was very thoughtful. The pool and bar area was also kept very clean so we have no complaints about that.

**Hotel Pool**

We don’t usually spend a lot of time by the pool on holiday but this pool area was too good to ignore. It consisted of a small swimming pool which despite not being exactly an infinity pool still gave the same impression of literally spilling into the sea in the distance, several cushioned sun-beds with parasols and small tables, and a manned bar area. The view from the pool was just as amazing as our balcony. The pool itself was more of a size for chilling and taking a dip rather than actually swimming which suited us fine. It was a nice temperature, not too cold but fresh enough to cool you off.

**Hotel Food**

Breakfast was included in our booking and because of the nature of the hotel there is no dining hall which means breakfast is delivered to your balcony every morning. This was a great luxury and meant we could drift out to enjoy breakfast in privacy before getting ready. Breakfast was available any time between 07:00 – 12:00 which was great for lazy days when we didn’t awake until later. To order breakfast you simply called reception to request it and every time it would be brought to the balcony within 10 minutes. This was definitely the best breakfast service I have encountered at a hotel. The breakfast itself was perfect, it consisted of tea or coffee, fresh orange juice, mixed bread rolls, cream cheese, fresh tomatoes, cheese, meats, an omelette, fresh fruit and pastries with chocolate spread. All the food was tasty and there was plenty to keep us going throughout the day. In fact we were so full that on most occasions we simply shared a salad for lunch.

On the first night we arrived late afternoon and decided we would have our evening meal in the hotel. The hotel restaurant is for guests only and consists of an area a stage down from the hotel pool which shares the same fantastic view, and has 3 small tables. The bar staff come down to take your order and carry the food down from the kitchen. We both ordered pasta dishes, I had the Pasta with tomato sauce and my boyfriend had pasta with salmon. We also ordered a caprese salad and some bread. We were both very impressed with the food which was fresh, well cooked and very generous. We were so impressed that we dined at the hotel again on another of our nights but that time ordered the food to our balcony where we enjoyed a meal at sunset. I read mixed reviews on the food in the hotel but cant understand how people couldn’t rate it, we are quite fussy with food and only eat in highly rated restaurants at home therefore would recognise microwave meals when we see them, and there most certainly weren’t. Therefore if you do stay in this restaurant we would highly recommend you give the meals a try.

**Eating out**

On our other evenings mainly dined in local restaurants such as La Maison and Blue Note which were both very good. The local restaurants are expensive but the quality of food is completely worth it. We did venture out closer to Fira on one occasion to try a place we had seen on our walks, but found this to be overpriced and not very good. Therefore in our opinion Imerovigili has the better restaurants and we would recommend staying local.

**Staff**

Usually we don’t get to know the staff to well at a hotel and rarely communicate with them, however with this being a small hotel we felt like we knew the staff and they really gave a personal touch to the service. My boyfriends suitcase went missing and didn’t arrive in Santorini until later in our holiday and the 2 hotel receptionists couldn’t have done enough to help us out. They insisted on calling the airport and helped us call the airports back in the UK to chase the missing luggage. They seemed genuinely concerned for us and we felt really glad we had chosen to stay in a smaller hotel where the receptionists actually remembered who we were and remembered about the missing suitcase. The other hotel staff were also very polite but in a laid-back and friendly way. The gentleman who brought our breakfast to the balcony each day always checked that we were enjoying it and would ask if we wanted anything different next time etc.

We’ve never had any problem with hotel staff in the past but they are often a bit cold and inpersonal, whereas here it was like being part of a family and we felt so comfortable and at ease with the staff, and were never afraid to ask anything. We didn’t have to complain about anything but I got the feeling they would do all they could to solve any problems we may have encountered.

Room Tip: Room 205 has an excellent view
2 Thank yazoo88
TholosResort, Manager at Tholos Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
On behalf of the staff and the managing team, we would like to thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review. We really hope to see you again in Imerovigli in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I had to be in Santorini for a wedding on the south of the island and sought to find somewhere to relax and be quiet, away from the maddening crowd so to speak.

Tholos Resort looked to be the place and the reality was just that. A wonderful room with terrace, our own swimming tub/jacuzzi and perfect weather other than the odd cool wind in the early day or so of our stay. The view was expansive, encompassing the volcano and the island of Therasia.

Location was a good half an hour walk outside of Thira, a walk we did maybe two or three times a day for shopping, restaurants and exercise. This could be a problem for the less able as it's nearly all up-hill from Thira to Tholos.

The staff really made the difference for us. The two Anna's in reception couldn't have been more helpful, indeed they were outstanding dealing with all our questions and last minute changed minds! Chris must be the fittest waiter on the island, running up lots of steps with loaded trays to our terrace - breakfast al fresco every day was such an indulgence! Not to forget the room maids who always left it clean and inviting despite our best efforts to make it look untidy. The other star for us was Christos, he carried the bags and made sure everything was working as it should and yet found time to paint and tidy the resort on a daily basis to keep the whole resort looking pristine and whilst no English was spoken and he always had a wonderful smile.

Will we be back? One word - yes and it can't be too soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Paul,
It was a pleasure to accommodate you in Tholos Reosrt. Thank you for all the kind words for the staff.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2012

My husband and I travelled to Greece for our honeymoon, where we visited Athens, Crete and Santorini. After taking the ferry from Crete to Santorini, we stumbled upon (quite last minute) onto Tholos Resort after having it recommended to us by those at the port, and are we ever happy we did! From the moment we set foot on Tholos, the staff treated us so warmly and kindly, that after looking at previous reviews, we had wondered how anyone could have anything bad to say about this beautiful place! In fact, my husband and I made it a running joke that the "damn volcano was blocking our view" as per the previous poster. How anyone could complain about the natural beauty of the island was beyond us!

The room we received (after being upgraded given our honeymoon), was absolutely breathtaking! My husband and I stood on our balcony with private jacuzzi in awe of the amazing view of the caldera. The free welcome wine was a great touch!

I have travelled around the world since I was 6 years old, and would consider myself a knowledgeable and experienced traveller and to say that this resort was good would be an understatement. The food was delicious (we ordered dinner on our private balcony, the same went for breakfast - both were brought quickly and were more than we could eat). The drinks by the pool was refreshing. There was just enough room on the pool deck without it being crowded, and the pool overlooking the caldera was so beautiful (see pictures). The location was great too, we had rented a car from the port, so we had no problem getting around, but even without a car, the town is so close that you could easily walk to any restaurants, etc. Taxi's are also plentiful and can get you to Oia (where we went for sunset and shopping) or Fira.

I must thank the helpful staff (both Anna's) who were so kind and recommended a great yachting tour of the island (we recommend this!). Thank you also to the great staff who walked up and down those stairs in the sweltering heat to bring us our tzaziki (again we recommend this - best tzaziki by far). A memorable honeymoon. We only wished we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have a beautiful view.
1 Thank Jackie C
, Manager at Tholos Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
A grate thank you from the management and the staff for taking the time to leave such a nice and detailed review for Tholos. We were very glad to have you staying in our premises and we hope that you will manage to visit us again in the future.
Beijing, China
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Tholos is located in the heart of Imerovigli, a quite and peaceful area, quite the opposite with Oia. I was first amazed at the hotel staff's hospitality. However, the longer I stayed at Santorini, my husband and I got a bit disappointed. We found out, first of all, the view from Tholos is not perfect. There is a volcano right in front of the resort. So, you can't really see the perfect sunset. The volcano is always blocking part of your view. Secondly, the restaurant recommendation given by the receptionist Anna was very misleading. We followed her instruction and drove to a supposed "extremely nice local restaurant", but were pissed off. The restaurant was situated in Aumoudi Bay, and looked very shady. They charge the bbq fish for 89 EURO per pound! I was not kidding, but this is the "best restaurant" per Anna.

There are also great stuff about the resort: it has got a terrific chef. If you plan to stay there, I would recommend to eat every meal at the hotel.

7 Thank Karen Xinyue Z
, Manager at Tholos Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for choosing Tholos Resort for your vacations. We are profoundly sorry to hear that got disappointed from your trip in Santorini but we feel that the average score (3/5) and your comments does not reflect our staff’s effort to ensure a nice and comfortable stay in our premises.

Few of your comments might also give a wrong impression to prospective visitors. Therefore I would like to clarify the following:
You say that “There is a volcano right in front of the resort. So, you can't really see the perfect sunset”. What you refer as “volcano” is a very famous historical landmark of the area, the rock of Skaros, a conical shape rock with a whole Venetian village and castle built on it that was abandoned in the 19th century when an earthquake ruined it. Guest, nowadays, go there for hiking as it is in small distance from Tholos and take wonderful pictures of the Caldera and the sunset. The volcano is actually the submerged rock in the sea behind and southern of Skaros (on the left). This rock appears in photos in our website and while being a prominent figure of the landscape, it certainly doesn’t block your view to the sunset which takes place on the right hand side (northern) of your view, quite far from Skaros rock.
In regards to the restaurant, we understand your frustration and we apologize for that. Our recommendation was based on positive feedback from previous guests. We can only guaranty the quality and the reasonable price in our restaurant and not in another property. In addition the front desk has been advised to be more careful and detailed when such information is requested in the future. As you understand we would be more than happy to have our guests eating in the hotel rather than diverting them to a restaurant outside.

Reading your review again, and your comments “amazed at the hotel staff's hospitality” and “it has got a terrific chef”, we feel that you were not dissatisfied with our hotel, our service and hospitality but the bad experience of the restaurant reflected in the final score you gave to us. Therefore we would kindly ask you to reconsider and change your review.
Herndon, VA
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The Tholos Resort was the most amazing hotel I ever stayed at. From the moment I arrived, the staff attended to my every need. Anna greeted me so warmly that I felt more like a friend than a hotel guest. She made me familiar with the resort and even suggested a wonderful excursion which I'd HIGHLY recommend to anyone. It was a dinner sailing cruise, my 2nd night at the resort, where we watched the magnificent Santorini sunset on the water. I had dinner at the hotel my first night there and watched the magnificent sunset from my table. The food was spectacular. I had sauteed calamari in a fresh tomato sauce and a Greek salad and a glass of wine. Before dinner I was called in my room 15 minutues prior to my reservation reminding me and asking what I'd like to drink so it was waiting for me when I arrived at my table. WOW, I felt like a celebrity with treatment like that. The next morning Christos brought me the most wonderful breakfast tray of Greek delicacies to my balcony table. Everything was delicious, especially Christo's famous omlettes. Later on that afternoon I went to the pool and Christos brought me his signature strawberry dacquari. It was the BEST strawberry dacquari I ever had. I was not ready to leave when my stay was up. I wish I could have stayed another week. The staff at Tholos made me feel so very welcome and Anna and I even had our picture taken together so we could remember this time forever. When I go back to Santorini, I will most definitely stay at the Tholos Resort. There's no better hotel on the island. Thank you Anna and Christos. I love and miss all of you sooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I had a corner room but all rooms at the resort are amazing and have incredible views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Manager at Tholos Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Dear SF,

Thank you very much for your kind words about us. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your staying in Imerovigli and we are definitely looking forward to see you again in Tholos Resort in the future!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed at 3 separate places on Santorini over the course of a week in May – Mero Vigla (50 Euro a night), Oia Mare Villas (65 Euro). On the last night of our stay we decided to treat ourselves at Tholos (170 Euro).

On the positive side, the staff – the two Annas and Chris, were very friendly – they set up flowers and champagne for a surprise proposal to my fiancée. They dropped the price of the room from 198 to 170 Euro when negotiating the room. Chris was lovely company by the pool. The view was really nice. Rooms were reasonably modern. The staff were understanding when we reduced our stay from two nights to one when another hotel made a mistake with our booking.

We were disappointed because we expected some of the ‘small touches’ present at other hotels in this price bracket – remember you’re paying over $US200 a night. Balconies are cramped and close together compared to the other two places we stayed, and we found the walls of our balcony in part concealed the view and sunset - although the view from the pool area is really beautiful and a short stroll away. We heard and saw quite a lot of foot traffic and noise from our room – compared to Oia Mare where we had such a vista in front of us and had a lot more personal space. The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor and the shower base had part of it coming off.

Breakfast was disappointing, ordinary supermarket orange juice, packet ham cold cuts, Lipton Yellow Label tea, a single omelette provided for two of us, a tiny bit of fruit, a few small uninspiring croissants and bread rolls. For the price, maybe a selection of some nicer teas and fresh orange juice wouldn’t have gone astray, and overall just something a little fresher, tastier, healthy and special – considering it’s a resort and you’re paying over $200 a night. The room didn’t have a stove which we like, though this is not a requirement for everyone.

Most disappointingly, we asked for a late check out several times during our stay as we had a 10pm ferry. While we appreciate the staff’s kind offer to extend our check out slightly by one hour to 1pm and to stay by the pool for as long as we wanted, we were dismayed to find that our room wasn’t cleaned until 3.20pm, and no guests had checked into it by the time we left at 7.45pm. Would it have hurt if we stayed until 3.20pm or even later?? While we realise that late check-outs are discretionary, once again when you pay over $US200 a night, you hope that the staff might have been a bit more flexible … a day after a marriage proposal as well!! We have stayed at many, many hotels - and much cheaper - that have granted this request. The management said they’d do everything to help us with a late check out when we were scoping out the hotel, but really we didn’t see a lot of effort in this regard. We did ask just before 1pm so we couldn’t see any reasonable excuse for it! And when we mentioned later in the day that we were a little surprised (we do like to make the effort to determine the reasons for things before we decide to put something constructive on Trip Advisor), we were told that she didn’t know of our request and didn’t know why the room hadn’t been filled. However we specifically asked the same person several times!

Overall for the price, we didn’t want to have to worry about the small things and whether we should be getting x, y and z for over $200 per night - but unfortunately we found ourselves doing so very often, questioning the value and quality a lot of the time, and wondering why we moved from our previous hotel!

We could list a few other negatives but we'll give the hotel the benefit of the doubt on these. It was a hard choice between an 'average' and 'poor' rating - what tipped us over was the late check-out issue - no matter what the excuse we felt it could and should have been arranged particularly as they knew about it well before we booked the hotel and promised they would make the effort to arrange it.

Our favourite accommodation by far was Oia Mare – unbeatable uninterrupted view of the ocean and sunset, beautiful large room, big balcony with two reclining couches, a table and two chairs, functional kitchen, great furniture, super friendly staff (Dianna at check-in at bus stop, and Delice at the actual hotel), incredible value for money and bang for your buck. No need to spend a fortune to have an amazing view and very nice room in Santorini!

Tholos proudly displays its 4 and a half star Trip Advisor rating at the Manager’s desk in reception. They should be proud, as there are some positives with the hotel, but if they want to retain high marks from discerning travellers we urge them take on board some suggestions above. With small touches and perhaps a better price, it would have been a really good experience.

Thanks Anna and Anna for helping with the proposal - it was very kind of you and I won't forget that!

Room Tip: Try to ask if there is a room where the walls don't impede a panoramic view, and preferably a li...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dan R
TholosResort, Manager at Tholos Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
We are very sorry to hear that our clients left unsatisfied from our premises, especially since we tried a lot to fulfill their requests in very short notice.

In regards to complains about the price we believe that they are unjust. In comparison with 4 star hotels in the same area (Imerovigli) the price offered to the clients was highly competitive. In this particular case the couple passed from our premises without a reservation, the staff showed them the room first and then they agreed to the price. Please note that they were offered a last-minute discount as well.

Initially they booked the room for two nights. Later on they requested to cancel the second night. According to our hotel's policy, in such cases of short notice, there is a cancellation fee which we did not charge taking their word for a problem with another hotel booking and trying to do our best to maintain a good atmosphere since our client proposed to his fiancée the previous night in our hotel.

As far as the late check-out issue we completely understand their frustration but most of the time it is impossible to offer the clients to extend their stay by more than an hour or so for practical reasons. The cleaners end their duty by 4 pm and all the rooms should be empty at least 2-3 hours in advance. Even if we knew that no other client is entering the room by lets say 8 or 9 pm, it would have been impossible to allow such a late check out simply because the room would not have been cleaned for the next guest. For this reason the front desk explained to the couple that we expected the next guest without an exact time of arrival, therefore the room must be ready as early as possible. An exception to the above rule could have happened (and has happened in the past) if only there were plenty of empty rooms to reallocate the new guests, but Tholos was almost fully booked at that period. Thus we asked Dan and his fiancée to stay to our premises as much as they wanted and offered them refreshments free of charge.

We believe that the late check out was so important for our client, that led him to a poor rating which does not reflect all the effort put by our staff to make special the one night they choose to stay in Tholos Resort. Therefore, we would kindly ask Dan to revise his review about our hotel.