Overall, Tholos Resort would be good value...IF, IF, IF you get the room you booked. And it's a big "IF," according to almost everyone who was staying there. While chatting with other guests around the pool, we discovered that we all had a similar story that went something like this:
1. Check-in takes 45-60 minutes --- The woman in the registration office ignored us until I finally interrupted her to ask if we could use the bathroom while we waited. She seemed annoyed that I would interrupt her. She was just rude.
2. The room you get is not the room you booked --- After a bad start at registration, we were escorted to a completely different *1-star* hotel with NO explanation. How is this possible!? I went back to the registration office immediately thinking there was some kind of mistake. But no...her response was, "Sorry, we are sold out tonight." So our confirmed booking we made three months earlier meant nothing. Without any option (it was 8:30 at night by then), we were forced to stay our first night in Santorini in a dark, dirty, moldy room in a completely different hotel. SO DISAPPOINTING. So, Tholos is what you see on their website, but also a 1-star pension that is NOT on the site. Very good + Terrible = Average rating.
3. Here comes the upgrade --- If someone from Tholos responds to this review, they will likely highlight the fact that we were "upgraded to a room better at no additional cost." They did that...for one night, but only because it was available. Two nights, two different rooms.
4. Finally...the room we booked --- On the third night, we were moved a THIRD time, this time to the room we actually booked.
The experience was disappointing for obvious reasons, but the MOST disappointing factor was the fact that they clearly favor guests who have paid the most money. If you book a standard room, be prepared to move rooms. After talking with other guests, we realized that Tholos' strategy is to purposely overbook their hotel, then maximize their revenue by sending standard room guests to a different hotel. It is simply dishonest.
We wish we could recommend Tholos, but we can't endorse this lack of integrity. The property is great and the price is reasonable, but the experience is ruined when you realize the management/ownership lacks trustworthiness and honor. It's too bad...a case of a nice hotel that is willing to sacrifice guests' experiences for money.
One particular highlight must be mentioned: The bartender/server/runner, Angelo, is a fantastic, hard-working, genuine guy and we wish him all the best!
SPECIAL NOTE: You will notice that Tholos management is hyper-vigilant about responding to Average, Poor or Terrible reviews. This is damage control, which seems to be the theme while you're staying at Tholos as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Santorini hotel of your choice in Imerovigli, on the island of Santorini. Much beloved and world-famous, the island of Santorini in Greece is a place of awesome beauty and bewitching atmosphere. Its exceptional character is a blend of blazing volcanic rock, against the backdrop of the deep cobalt-blue sea and the clear Aegean sky. The imposing Caldera is the result of the volcano's biblical eruption, a crescent of cliffs rising steeply hundreds of meters above the water, with white villages nestled upon their tops. One of these picturesque settlements is Imerovigli, a small distance away from the capital of Santorini, Fira, where you can find Tholos Luxury Hotel Resort. Perched on the cliff of the Caldera, the hotel will offer you an accommodation of luxury and hospitality, in a magnificent setting overlooking the volcano. Panoramic vistas to the crater, submerged into the deepest blue waters, sparkling under the bright sunlight, will leave you enchanted in the day, while the spectacular sunsets that turn the landscape into a melange of dreamy pictures will make your memories unforgettable. The whitewashed apartments and studios, all in the traditional Cycladic style, are built on different levels of the cliff, with terraces or balconies facing the superb surroundings. In their discreetly luxurious interiors you'll find comfort and relaxation. At the patio by the outdoor pool on the other hand, you'll enjoy refreshing moments under the sun or romantic time under the stars. The service, day and night, is friendly and impeccable, while the hotel's owners are always at your disposal for your every need while staying here. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tholos Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tholos Hotel Imerovigli
- Tholos Resort Santorini/Imerovigli