“amazing views”

Alexander Villas
Melbourne, Australia
“amazing views”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and i came to santorini for our honeymoon in april and stayed here. We had so trouble with our flights being cancelled due to weather conditions and this hotel was very understanding. It has the most spectacular views and the rooms weres large, clean and well designed. The bathroom and toilet was a little corwded without ventilation but thats not a big deal. Staff were nice and welcoming. Breakfast was nice however very plain. They could have changed the breakfast menu up a bit as it was very boring having the same food each morning for 5 days. Appart from that, we loved it. Close to everything but quad bike or walking.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2011

While the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful villages in santorini- it was way overpriced and the website photos very misleading! Not all was bad, so i have broken it down:

THE GOOD: we did have a beautiful view from our room and a lovely plunge pool- (however, the luxury stopped there). The rooms were ok, but quite old-fashioned and dingy- as i said before, the website photos are VERY misleading, and make them seem far nicer and more modern that they actually are. Breakfast was nice and they deliver it to your room which is a nice touch.

THE BAD: there is no reception or any official entrance so we spent 20mins lugging our suitcases around the village in sweltering heat, trying to figure out where to go- no staff offered to help us at all (eventually we approached a barman and someone met us in the bar where we waited an hour for our room). Although i know this isn't such a terrible thing.

The worst thing about Alexander Villas was the massage. My partner and I decided to order a massage from the hotel- which was quite expensive but we were prepared to pay for the luxury. I would have to say this was the worst massage I have ever had in my life- it bordered or unprofessional and was excruciatingly painful (keeping in mind, I usually like firm, slightly painful massages- but this was ridiculous). The Masseuse set up the table in the middle of the public pool area- and while I asked her if I could have a private room, she told me there were none, which I thought was ok still. She then took my top off and got me to lie on my back (exposed to everyone sitting by the pool) and massaged my chest- telling me. 'its ok, no one is looking.' However, there were people looking and many people and barmen walking past. This made me feel extremely uncomfortable and seemed extremely unprofessional. In addition, the massage consisted of exfoliation- whereby she rubbed the exfoliant paste into my body so hard and for so long that any lubricant dried up and she was literally rubbing my skin raw with sand-like stuff. I was lying is absolute agony, my whole body burning, red and raw- i didn't say anything at the time because i felt shy and awkward- this woman clearly had no idea what she was doing and was NOT a proper masseuse. This was later confirmed by the fact that we saw her cleaning our pool the next day!

Overall, While the rooms were ok, they were very old-fashioned and far from luxurious. The service was average and most of the staff seemed not to know what they were doing (although we did have a lovely barman who served us drinks who was professional and knowledgeable) and of course, the massage service, which was not cheap, was diabolical. This would usually be acceptable, of course, given my partner and I often stay in hostels and cheap hotels- however, paying over 100euros per person, per night, seems very steep for the quality of room that is provided and the second-rate service.

Go find something better.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Gabrielle R

Travellers are raving about these Imerovigli hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I am disappointed as a Greek that in wonderful locations like Santorini, we still have awful hotels like this one with people managing it reminding me of classic old type sales people. There are plenty of other hotels in the area which are significantly better at the same price. Don't be fooled by the retouched pictures on their website. We got out 2 days after even if we'd pre-payed a week's stay. We simply could not stand being in the room. Enjoy the wonderful caldera at another hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel!!
4 Thank Marios T
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The hotel is overpriced. The ventilation of the bathroom was not working so the humidity was obvious. There is a jacuzzi at the balcony that is uncovered so most of the days was dirty. Looking the pictures,we were expecting something much better (because we paid for a junior suite). The first day that we arrived they told us that there was a problem with our room ( someone else was staying),so they sent us to an other hotel for the first night.They day after ,we had to take our baggage again and go back, we were waiting 2 hours for our room.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed in Alexander Villa #1 and it was a nice room (cave type) with comfortable bed. The ceiling in the bathroom is very low due to the characteristic cave rooms in the caldera. Standard of sheets & towels aren't top notch... but still clean and ok.
We had a FANTASTIC view, great breakfast delivered to our room at whatever time we wanted in the morning, access to a big pool with bar at their sister hotel Kallisto which was only one stair down.
Staff was very friendly and helped us with transfer and restaurant recommendations.

Although the hotel doesn't have their own reception - you have to check in through Kallisto hotel reception which we didn't know. Luckily we meet a guy in the alley when trying to find the hotel who told us this?!

Imerovigli is placed very high with a fantastic view! Very romantic & quiet. An old chuch is placed very close by with frequent weddings in the summer :)
Fira is only a short walk away and the path is quite easy to find.

Would recommend this place if you have a limited budget but still want a luxurious feeling and great view!

1 Thank Bambolina_j
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Be really carfulll!!!! This hotel is a fraud. We make a reservation for 4 nigthts and when we arrivied in Santorini, late at night, the concirge told us that the hotel is fully booked (like the flihgts) and they offers to us an "upgrade" (but i dont call this like this, it was relly a down grade), to another hotel. How they can sell something and doens't have? The answer is easy: the alexander hotel has beautiull pictures, that lots of people get interested and they sell more than they could suport and they offer a alternative staying ih another awfull hotel, trying to say this is an upgrade. We complain an so far they dind't give us the money back. I will sue this hotel. My name is: Guilherme von Muller Lessa Vergueiro

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank GUILESSA
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel is amazing, the view is breathtaking, though anything on the island looking out to the volcano is just awesome. We had our own plunge pool and amazing deck with 180degree views of the caldera, we were stoked when we got there to see that the room was everything it was advertised to be and more. Location wise watch out if you're not up for walking too much, its about a 20min brisk walk down to Thira which after a few times gets kinda tiresome, though you can hire a small car or quad bike for about 20euro per day which I highly recommend.

The room is well appointed, quiet spacious and the cave roof is to die for, though watch out if your are anything over 170cm, the roof is quiet low particularly up in the bedroom due to the arch of the ceiling. The kitchenette and bathroom were clean and tidy though there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom and the shower head shots onto the floor which isn't too bad however due to the fact that the room is cut directly into the rock the room holds moisture quiet badly, so I recommend unpacking your bags completely and leaving the door open as much as possible to keep air flow though the room.

The breakfast supplied daily was really nice and tasty, good variety though we didnt appreciate being woken each morning to eat when the staff decided it was time to eat. They keep banging on your door until you get up which is fine on a normal day but the morning after we got engaged and drank the night away until 5am the last thing we wanted to do was get up for brekky at 9am.

The other thing to watch out for is room #4 where we were, the staff storage room is right next door so as of first thing in the morning you get to listen to all the staff speaking (quiet loudly too) and calling to eachother. Again not a biggy for me as I'm a pretty heavy sleeper but it was really annoying for my partner.

Overall experience was really great at the hotel, the staff are super friendly and attentive and everything is neat, clean and tidy, no nasty surprises. I spent hours trying to find an affordable and yet still luxurious room for us and I was really happy with my choice to stay at Alexander Villas, great value for money in my eye's.

If we ever go back to Santorini (which we definitely want to) we will be booking there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple