“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calafont Portmagee Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portmagee
Calafont Portmagee Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 8 Portmagee B&B and Inns
Fulton, New York, United States
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My father and I stayed here in a two bed room in September '13. Beds were comfortable, bathroom was modern with good water pressure. Mary was very knowledgeable about the area and breakfast was pretty tasty. We only stayed for one night but my dad talked to Mary for a bit about the area and she recommened we visit Valentia Island if we had time (we were scheduled to visit Skellig Michael the morning we left her). And sadly we didn't get to land at Skelling Michael due to the waves, so we returned to shore earlier than anticipated and because of Mary's suggestion we ended up visiting the truly breathtaking Valentia Island.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had a great experience at Calafont. The breakfast was good, the room nice, big and clean and the rate (60 euros) reasonable. Mary was always ready suggest things to do in the area. Portmagee is just ten minutes by walking. We enjoyed our stay so much!

Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The house is very clean and appears newly redone. I found the shower great because of the high water pressure. The owner (Mary) is very courteous and friendly, and extremely knowledgeable of the area, having grown up just down the road. The breakfast was quite good. The best feature by far is the view, which is fantastic.

1 Thank Gregory S
ShanIn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed a night here in peak tourist season- on our drive to Portmagee, my husband and I had no specific plans for what we might do the next day. We arrived at the B&B which is a little set back but still within walking distance of town.

Our host was unavailable for a few hours, so we took the scenic drive around the Skellig ring, which made our mind up! We would try to make the trip, with the husband fighting his seasickness and me fighting my fear of heights.

When we returned to the B&B, Mary our host was back. She was very welcoming, and apologised for not being available earlier- she needed some private time to get the place cleaned, and get herself sorted- which we felt was more than fair, particularly given this place was sparkling clean and really comfortable. She made the booking for us with Patrick and Brendan for the Skellig Michael trip, recommended a lovely walk on Valentia island, and the local pub for dinner (which was simple, budget friendly but still delicious).

On our return, we realised the positioning of the B&B away from the town meant it was whisper quiet. That with Mary's lovely cotton sheets, and super comfortable bed meant we slept like babies. On waking up, we had a really generous breakfast before leaving for our trip to the Skelligs.

I would happily return here, and in response to Christa343's earlier not so positive review, am really amazed someone had such a vastly different experience to the one my husband and I had. I would happily return, and if I could give a 6 for value for money.

1 Thank ShanIn
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

My friend Louise and I spent four nights with Mary Carton in Calafont. We were received with the warmest welcome from Mary. We stayed in the family room upstairs which was beautifully decorated, spacious and the bedroom had an amazing view of mountains, sea and cliffs. Also a beautiful gentle sound of the birds chorus , nature's orchestra outside my window. The house felt so fresh and new and most important, breakfast was delicious,atmosphere was fun and friendly among clients. Mary kindly organised our trip to Skellig Michael which was the highlight of our trip. Not to mention the craic in The Moorings , set dancing with the locals and music galore. I will definitley return to The Ring of Kerry and will return to Mary in Calafont 'Home from Home' highly recommended by Thelma and Louise

Room Tip: amazing views from all windows
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank therese k
Spring, TX, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I am amazed to see the other positive reviews, as my experience does not resonate with those reviews. Mary seemed kind enough, but was not very social or welcoming. I even felt like she was putting me down when I was explaining my difficulty with the directions. She does not understand computer things well enough to understand how to fix her Wi-Fi and thus most of the time we had no Wi-Fi. Rooms are decorated for girly women, which didn't bother me, but I wouldn't recommend the decor to my guy friends. The area was under attack by biting, flying ants, but the window was left open, leaving me to kill and clean up a bunch of flying ants. Room was not en suite, though I had been led to believe that I would have that. The reason I give this a rating of 2 instead of 1 is that the view was nice and breakfast was good. I will not return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Christa343
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Came back for a second trip over to Skeilig Michael. We stayed with Mary and she organised our trip over with Casey. Nearly missed my ceili music this morning but she got the machine working. Mary will have to learn the meaning of the word copious.He breakfasts are just that and more besides.

Really enjoyed our short stay. Will be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmagee
The Waterfront Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 8 in Portmagee
Beach Cove B&B
Beach Cove B&B
#2 of 5 in Ballinskelligs

Been to Calafont Portmagee Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!