I came across this absolute gem in Tuscany on an overnight trip from Rome to Venice last weekend (22 March 2014).
I was already impressed by its excellent reviews, but even they could not do it justice. From the moment of arrival, greeted by the genuinely welcoming and warm Elena, the Proprietess, it felt like one of those truly special places that you happen across all too rarely.
The review from 4 January 2014 pays Villa Armena many of the compliments that I would also make, but three are worth repeating:
1. The hospitality and genuine interest shown by Edoardo, Elena and Laura make you feel very special. Their personal warmth made it feel like having the run of a friend's house - or better still, as if some wealthy relative has left you their hilltop estate complete with the friendliest people he/she could find in Tuscany. All three speak perfect English and were incredibly attentive hosts.
2. The attention to detail in all aspects: the cooking and homemade foods, the lovely furnishings and architectural touches, the furnishings and layout, the absolutely top quality bathroom fittings and fixtures. All were remarkable. The common areas inside (restaurant and sitting rooms) were cleverly designed to provide warmth and cosiness in Winter, and coolness and escape in Summer, and the external terraces on many levels were intriguing.
3. The atmosphere: unsurprisingly given all of the above, the atmosphere of the place was again very special. Warm, relaxed, easy-going and natural.
My only regret was that I could only spend one night there, but I will find an opportunity to go back.
As I say, a real gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the romantic heart of Tuscany, only 20 minutes from Siena, only a stone’s throw from Montalcino and Val d’Orcia, in a fairytale world exuding magic and beauty, Villa Armena is a late Renaissance structure. Built of red brick, with original oak beams and roof, and having terracotta floors and a beautiful Italianate garden, Villa Armena today is an exclusive establishment with just 10 rooms, each one unique, where service, attention to detail and exclusivity are the cornerstones of our offering. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Hotels.com and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Villa Armena Relais reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Armena Relais Buonconvento, Italy - Tuscany