“Great winery - great wines!”
Review of Fontodi Winery

Fontodi Winery
More attraction details
Owner description: A leading Chianti producer in the Tuscany region.
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Visited this winery in 2009; tasted different wines and was very impressed by the Chianti Classico and the Flaccianello della Pieve - both in the 2006 vintage.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We were fortunate enough to stay in an apartment of a villa on Fontodi's Conca d'oro vineyard property for our week in Panzano. The tasting we had here was our chance to "meet" the wine of the vines that surrounded our apartment, and boy, I'd say they are probably the best Chiantis we've tasted (add Flaccianello in there and it takes it to a different level.) Sentiments aside, their winery is beautifully streamlined and modern with a rustic outer shell - and gorgeous view. Our tour guide was hospitable and eagerly described her harvest experiences there. We took our time tasting and she was patient in answering all our questions. A memorable experience!

1  Thank TheOtherHunny
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My wife and I visited Fontodi at the advice of the owners of one of the other vineyards in Chianti. Although the Fontodi vineyard was -- technically -- on holiday, there were two employees present, and one of the employees obliged by giving us a free, short wine tasting (unfortunately, we couldn't tour the facility because of the holiday). We thought that was a lovely touch (and hospitable, too!). The wines lived up to their recommendation - outstanding.

Reviewed 14 August 2010

Having been fortunate to drink their flagship wine, Flaccianello, at a Super Tuscan wine dinner last fall, we looked into going to the winery during our trip to Siena this July. We played our itinerary day-by-day, so the morning that we decided to drive through Chianti, I was hesitant to call the winery to request an appointment for that afternoon, as much because of my lack of confidence in my Italian language skills as the thought that it was probably too late and they were all are booked. But after some friendly prompting from my girlfriend, I called and quickly realized neither fear had been necessary: they understood my rudimentary Italian (and we soon switched to English), and they had a 2pm appointment available!

So after a lovely lunch in a small restaurant in nearby Panzano, we set out to find the winery. Our GoogleMap app on our iPhone directed us down the wrong road, but after a quick phone call to the winery to get more detailed directions, we ran across their (admittedly small) sign and were promptly at the main house.
We were quickly ushered inside, and immediately realized that going to a tasting in Italy was quite different than those we'd done in California and South Australia. The tasting room, more of a nook really, was tucked away past their offices, and consisted of a table with three bottles, a few brochures and some WineSkins for sale (highly recommend using them for packing wind bottles in checked luggage, by the way). After a quick tasting from the three bottles, one of which was the '07 Flaccianello, expected to equal if not surpass the well regarded '06, we enjoyed a pleasant chat about the wine, and then were given a chance to purchase some of the wine we had just tried. We opted to get two bottles of the Flaccianello (the limit, sadly). While were waiting for them to fetch them for us, we noticed another room down the hall, where some men in suits were seated at a table, also sampling wine. We reasoned that this room was reserved for the importers and buyers that bought the bulk of their wine. We didn't feel slighted not getting to rub shoulders with these guys, and in fact, it was cool to see this side of the business. Many of the medium and big wineries in California have tastefully done tasting rooms, that offer a great everything-wine-oriented experience. But even at the nice ones, it can be difficult to get away from the mega-store feel, with them offering everything from wine and grape themed doilies to truffle oil, and just focus on the wine.

Afterwards, we spent about ten minutes just standing in the parking area, soaking in the beautiful view of the surrounding hills covered with vines and olive groves, knowing that in a few years, we'd likely be enjoying those fruits in liquid form.

Yes, it's not the kind of tasting experience you would have in Napa. But after all, it was a free tasting, and in truth, don't you go to a place like Fontodi for the quality of their wine and not the size of the tasting room? It's a welcomed change of pace, and well worth the hunt for their sign!

7  Thank arm90405
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Rating of wines sampled = 10
Hospitality of tour and visit = 0
On our visit to Tuscana in Sept/Oct. 09, Fontodi was on our to-do list and highly recommended by our local wine store. After making an appointment 2 weeks earlier and finally reaching the day of our visit, our trip began. Traveling well over an hour from our hotel in Arezzo, 20 minutes into our trip up a narrow winding mountain road, a car ventured over the center line, clipped off our driver’s side mirror and never stopped. We proceeded to the nearest major town and hotel to report the accident to the car rental agency and credit card company. Time involved = 1 ½ hours. We realized we were now going to be late, so we asked the hotel manager who kindly provided us with a phone, to call Fontodi and explain (in Italian) our situation and that we were going to be late. The winery’s response was no problem and to please come. An hour and a half later, we finally showed up…our GPS couldn’t locate the address that we were given by the winery and website. After stopping in Panzano and conversing with some of the locals, we finally reached the winery. The sign at the bottom of Fontodi’s winery is as big as an American license plate. Not very impressive for a facility that produces 300,000 bottles a year.

So, up the long and bumpy dirt road we ventured. After parking we located the tasting room and popped our heads in and apologized for being late. A woman who was pouring samples of wine for three 3 people seated at a country table looked up and chastised us for not calling (which we clearly DID) and said she would be with us in 10 minutes. We walked around and took some beautiful country side pictures and 15 minutes later she came out for us.

We again apologized for our lateness and briefly explained the accident…and without even a word of concern or empathy, she proceeded to give us a hurried tour of the facility and a stand up wine tasting of 3 wines. This lasted all of 30 minutes. Nothing like appreciating customers who buy your products back in U.S. At the end of our tasting at which we purchased several wines, I asked her if she would be able to get me a large wine bottle label of Flaccionello so I could display it in my wine room. Flaccionello is a great super Tuscan and probably their most famous wine. Puzzled by my request, she wasn’t sure if it was possible, so I then asked her to find out. Five minutes later, she came back with the smallest of labels and said this was all she could get. Holding the label in my hand and thinking about the whole effort of getting here and being made to feel like our visit was a big inconvenience to her, I tossed the label on the table and told her to keep it. The expression on her face was one of shock. Ironically, when I made the same request to a gentleman working there, he was able to provide a middle size label which was fine. If a winery isn’t interested in making you feel welcome and wanted, they shouldn’t have tours. So my advice is next time you’re driving in Panzano and see the Fontodi sign…keep driving.

6  Thank mistrjazz