“Excellent service, dreamy location”
Review of Villa Le Barone

Villa Le Barone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked this hotel last minute, traveling with a baby, and we received a very nice welcome at Villa Le Barone. The hotel is located in Panzano and offers a stunning view; the swimming pool and garden are just perfect to relax. It is a very quiet place to enjoy a luxury Chianti break.
The room we had was a little small, so was the bed (not king size and rather short) but the outside facilities and the service were excellent and you don't go there to stay in your room.
Breakfast was the best we had in Chianti, we were a little bit disappointed by the dinner though.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sknitting
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear sknitting,

I am grateful for your review and grateful to TripAdvisor that allows me to answer it.

I would like to recall how your reservation went:: you called Villa le Barone in mid-afternoon asking for a room, Barbara at the Reception answered you that we were sorry, but that we were fully booked, you called back insisting two hours later and Barbara gave the only remaining room which we reserve for for single persons or a child because of its size (Barbara felt she had to justify herself later one by telling my wife and I that she felt compelled to help, because it was late, you had not found an accomodation elsewhere, you were on the road with a baby ... and you sounded hysterical with worry). Now you write: "The room we had was a little small, so was the bed (not king size and rather short)" ... and I am a bit upset because , to be fair to me and to TripAdvisor readers, I believe you should have told the whole story ... and include a "thank you" to Barbara for having had food and shelter for the night.

Similarly, my wife and I met you and personnally welcomed you in the drivevway while we were walking to dinner (my wife and I are late diners, at approximately 8:45pm) and you were just arriving with your car, husband and baby. After having been shown your room, put the baby to sleep and washed up a bit, you got to dinner well after acceptance closing time (which is at 9 pm) and were served your dinner which - by that time- may have been a bit overcooked which apparently allows you now to write:"we were a little bit disappointed by the dinner though.". ... once again readers should be aware of the whole story. Barbara is at present on holidays, but she will be astonished at reading your review and a bit bitter at having been compassionate to give you the room.

Believe me, I am happy to receive good marks and good comments for Villa le Barone, I recognize that we are far from perfect and am more than ready to have comments that help us improve, but I believe that the whole story should always be told.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here with My Family (4) for two nights for our 25th wedding Anniversary. The facilities are immaculately maintained, The views are very breathtaking. The Villa is a wonderful home away from home. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. It is a wonderful spot to relax and get away from it all. I could have stayed here a week easily as there is much to do in the surrounding countryside.

This is a family establishment in fact the owner is frequently on the property and I understand it is not unusual to meet them. The Count spent over an hour talking with us on the evening that we arrived out in the garden. He is a genuinely a kind and very interesting man. I note that he has taken a lot of time to respond to many reviews here and I think his commitment to ensuring you have a "special" stay comes thru.

I met a lot of wonderful people in Italy I actually regret not asking him to take a picture with our family. Our Stay at Villa Le Barone was a highlights of our trip. Villa de Barone is magnificent! You won't regret your stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a view of the surrounding country side which is out of this world.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear ScottJphe,

good that TripAdvisor does not record the face of the person responding to your review, because I am blushing with a bit of enbarassment and lots of pleasure!

First of all, thank you for having chosen Villa le Barone for your stay with your lovely family - I am so glad you enjoyed it, even though two days is a minimum to get to feel the ambiance of Villa le Barone and get to know the surroundings. We hope to see you again to make you discover more of Chianti and Tuscany.

Please don't over estimate my kindness: my wife and I also get a lot by talking and listening to our Guests and- if we can help them make the most of their stay with us- ... the happier we are.

I hope that we shall see you again soon in Villa le Barone and wish you and your family all the best,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We were a family of 16 who enjoyed the 3 nights we spent at the villa. The children felt as if they were home. They played ping pong, tennis and swam. It was a restful stay between visiting Rome and Venice. The views were amazing. It would have been helpful to have a taxi service as we did not have cars. The food was basic and plentiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the countryside
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear AJS3042,

thank you very much for your visit at Villa le Barone and for taking the time to give us feedback. I am very happy you had a good stay with us and that the children (and you, hopefully!) felt at home.

I am only sorry that my wife and I were not at Villa le Barone during your family reunion of 16 people. We hope we'll have the chance to meet you someday again.

As for the taxi service in Panzano ... well ... it's not New York over here and there is only one! I know that our staff helped bringing you around including with the small Fiat Panda of the hotel which was a challenge, I understand :=)) ! Next time-if told in advance- we can plan some more efficient logistics support for you.

All the best from Villa le Barone,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I spent a week at this lovely property in the Chianti region of Italy. There are a variety of rooms to choose from. We were in room 23. The room was beautifully appointed and spacious enough for two people. The bathroom was large with a tub/shower combination. Ours didn't have a view so check out which ones have better views, if that is important to you. It wasn't to us. But what makes this property special are the grounds. There are beautiful sloping lawns with a magnificent view of the local church as well as the town of Panzano. There are gorgeous roses growing through out the property and little hidden gardens to relax and enjoy the view. The staff is very accommodating. We did not realize that breakfast was served at 8 am and we sauntered in at 7:30. The staff immediately got us coffee and began bringing out all of the breakfast buffet. The dinners are very good and are price fix. It's location is perfect for drives to San Gimignano, Siena and Florence. There is free Wi Fi. I would highly recommend this beautiful little hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BloggerLinda
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Linda C,

thank you for taking the time to review Villa le Barone, for the high marks and for the sound advice you give to TripAdvisor readers.

All rooms are different at Villa le Barone, all decorated with the same care ... and respecting the history of the building where they are set. For example your room 23 is located in the Fattoria (Farm) part of Villa le Barone and this is why the decoration is more "rustic" than that of the Villa where the owners (my family) used to live! Authenticity needs to be respected ... with comfort, of course =:) Next time you come, try a Historic room which really will bring you back to the past.

I also suggest to readers coming to Le Barone to discover the itineraries that my wife and I have made for our Guests (free of charge at the reception) . They take you to little known places of Tuscany in charming landscapes to make you discover iur country.

We hope to see you soon back in Chianti,

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at le barone for 2 nights and we r not quite sure what that place is about. We have nothing in particular to say about it, neither good nor bad. It is a beautiful establishment but it's missing charm, seems to be stuck in the 80's.... It's somehow uptight but mostly because of its clientele. All in all it was not bad but it did not do it for us as it felt it had no soul, and it also did not feel you were in Italy. Would we return? Definitely not.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank hase1
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Hase1,

thank you very much for reviewing your stay at Villa le Barone even though I am at a loss in front of it after having read your review several times. In general Guests rightly praise or complain about specific items: room, food, garden and so on: We then gratefully and gracefully accept their remarks as opportunities for improvement. None of this in your review, but just some general statements like " we r not quite sure what that place is about. We have nothing in particular to say about it, neither good nor bad" ... Getting a poor mark based on vague sentences is somewhat unfair and personnally hurts me! . It is clear from your statements that you and Villa le Barone are not made for each other: some people like Velasquez and dislike Rubens, some people Like Schubert and dislike Chopin, some people like Pizza and dislike Pasta .... some people like a certain type of hotel and may dislike what Villa le Barone is: an ancient family villa, (a "beautiful establishment" as you recognize in your review), open to friends.

What annoys me a bit is that you seem to have reviewed many hotels and very probably have read as many reviews from others as you have written: from that reading, from my personal answers to Guests (I like to respond to most of them!), from Villa le Barone's website ... you should probably have had it clear what sort of hotel we are and that we are out to please Guests who look for quiet luxury, beauty, relaxation, authenticity ... in a word: charm. If you were not able to sense this ... there is not much I can do for you (or for myself!).

As for Villa le Barone being stuck in the 80's you are right, Villa le Barone is stuck in the 1580's when it started becoming a Villa for part of my family and has evolved to 2014 building on this heritage: Central heating, Air Conditionning, comfortable beds and mattresses and other modern fixtures are just add-ons to a place built and kept with love ... and we hope to keep evolving into the future while keeping true to our past.

By the way, Villa le Barone is in Italy, but it is also in Tuscany and please take the word of a person who has lived part of its life in several Tuscan family country houses, Villa le Barone has in it the essence, ambiance and authenticity of a real Tuscan home.

You are also writing you "will definitelty never return" ... life is long, tastes evolve and maybe myself, my wife or our successors will eventually welome you back here and we shall have a laugh about this matter.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We just returned Home from our vacation in Chianti,and spent 3 nights at the Villa Le Barone.
This Hotel is a perfect place if you want to be away from the crowds,and enjoy the beauty of the Tuscan countryside.
The villa is beautiful,staff is extremely nice and helpful,they provide you with excellent tips as to where to go and what to see.
2 Restaurant that you should not miss during your stay,they both have great food and view:
La Cantinetta Di Rignana
Osteria La Panzanelle
We had a wonderful time at Villa La Barone,and hope to return again.

Stayed: July 2014
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear emocica,

thank you for staying at Villa le Barone and taking the time to kindly eview it. We are glad you took advantage of the tips we give our Guests for visits out of the beaten track places in Tuscany. There are many more to discover and we hope to see you again here with us.

Thank you also for giving tips of restaurants outside of Villa le Barone (Ristoro di Lamole is also a good one and Dario Cecchini's is also a special experience). Of course, the food served at Villa le Barone itself is reputed as quite good and many Guests prefer to stay with us on many nights of theor stay.

All the best,

Corso and Jacqueline Aloisi de Larderel

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a quiet 3 night stay here after a few weeks of on the go travel through Europe. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the food freshly made every day with local vegetable and meats, and herbs from the garden. We took a wonderful cooking class with Fernanda who was quite lively and personable. We were fortunate to have another couple with us that spoke Italian and could translate for us. The rooms were a bit rustic, but that is the point I guess. If you are over six feet tall, you must remember to duck in many locations or learn the hard way as I did. Some great day trips which included the walled city of San Gimignano - good shopping if you did not get your fill in Firenze. A bit of an older clientele here. My wife and I are in early 40's and we seemed to have some curious eyes from the older folks. After our cooking class we were able to enjoy what we made with Fernanda and the lovely couple who translated. I have to admit I was not enthused to have to wear slacks to dinner as it was very warm and I am vacation, not a business dinner. However, the count and countess proprietors want a civilized dinner and relaxing stay ( no tv's in rooms, only in the social area - fine by me, but I did want to watch some of the British Open without any chit chat). Overall a good experience we will remember forever, not to mention the breathtaking views of Chianti.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear EZD92,

thank you for taking the time to review Villa le Barone. I am glad you had a pleasant cooking class with Fernanda. Sorry I wasn't there to help translate as I often do, but Fernanda - with the help of some of the staff - comes in general through quite well and the mimics to put the message through often raise the level of fun.

Yes the Villa was built when people were smaller and some of the doors (we are not allowed to make them larger or higher) are somewhat low! Sorry if you bumped your head! All rooms have different styles, some are more rustic - as you say- some are more luxurious (rooms 7,10, 16,18, 26, ...) bit all have their own style and are furnished with love. Next time - and I hope there is one- please ask what kind of room you woild like and we shall be happy to try and please you.

On television (we write this on the welcome package which you probably did not have time to read), all rooms are wired for TV and a TV is brought immediately (and of course free of charge) to your room on request. My wife and I - without wanting to impose our point of view- prefer not to systematically put a television in the room which people tend to often turn on without really wanting to watch a program and which distracts Guests from simply enjoying the quiet pleasure like talking to each other, picking up a book, going for a walk, ...

On aged Guests ... well, all the spectrum of ages is well represented: we have young honeymooners, we have families and we have retired persons. Depending on the season, the distribution of ages changes and you were at Villa le Barone probably in a week where more aged people were present (personnally I am 70 and I hope I don't have a curious look in my eyes when I speak to younger folks ! :=)) )

On dinner, you are right, we don't ask people to wear a tie or a jacket (even though some people do), but we do ask them - out of respect for others - to wear trousers. If we did not ask this minimum standard, some Guests would eventually come barefoot in their bathing trunks to dinner ... and this - we believe - would not go well with the general ambiance of Villa le Barone.

I hope to have a chance to meet you during your next stay at Villa le Barone and I am very sorry you had to wears slacks at dinner.

Sincerely ,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Panzano in Chianti
Villa Bordoni
Villa Bordoni
#1 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Castello Vicchiomaggio
Castello Vicchiomaggio
#3 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Relais Fattoria Valle in Panzano
Relais Fattoria Valle in Panzano
#2 of 5 in Panzano in Chianti
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti

Been to Villa Le Barone? Share your experiences!