“Bad Choice”
Review of Eden Apartments

Eden Apartments
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Welcome to my first holiday review.

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel so much but it was just nothing like we were expecting.

On arrival we went to our room to find it still being cleaned, went out the back of the room to find a gravel garden with no sort of view. We were horrified and even talked about leaving after 5 minutes.

Anyway we got on with it, unpacked the suitcases and decided to go to the swimming pool / children's area to find the children's area no longer existed, the pool area people were packed in like sardines and the shallowest end of the pool was 1m 20cm which wasn't suitable for either my 6 or 9 year old who needed constant supervising even though they can both swim.

Daily I would see the pool temperture advertised as being 25c, truth of the matter was that after 30 minutes you had to get out as it was so cold, the sea was warmer than the swimming pool.

Also no kids club except a colouring in session at 9pm for half an hour till the entertainment started.

We only did B&B, the walk to the dining area was highly amusing at 8am as daily it was the same people sleeping on sun loungers so they would get a sunbed!

Trying to get some toast was a complete joke. One 6 slice toaster to serve all residents. We were thankful we only did this as the hotel has nothing to provide for a whole day, if you do want to do extra EVERYTHING comes with a charge.

This includes internet, tv, playing pool, fun inflatables for the kids for an hour is 5 Euros. BBQ / Chinese night is 12 Euros for adults and 6 Euros for kids but does not include any drinks. Washing is an extra 4 euros, hiring a iron and we were also charged 4 Euros to print off our boarding passes.

Nothing comes cheap with Eden, even charging 4.50 Euros for a cocktail that probably cost 2 to actually make. Drinks for all inclusive is from 11am to 11pm which is very clever seeing the entertainment lasts till 12!

Also strong smells of sewage would greet you when you opened the front door, the water also smelt awful, my wife's hair after 10 days now smells despite washing it everyday.

Location wise it's pretty dire, apart from the Europa Centre there is actually nothing to do around the hotel complex.

It's literally 4 euros per trip to get around, we did hear of a 800 step walk to the beach but never found it. No views at all to be seen except an amazing sunset if you go the outside of the hotel onto a balcony/viewing platform.

The only decent thing we found at Eden was the local shop which sold stuff at very cheap prices and the brisk walk to the Europa Centre to get some decent food at very low prices.

If you are happy with sitting on a sun lounger all day all inclusive then this is for you, having two children it would be impossible to entertain them from morning till night time.

I would go back to Gran Canaria but I certainly would pick Eden as my next hotel choice.

It's not about value for money but what extras they can take you for.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 10!
3  Thank Mikee580
Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

stayed at eden for 7 nights all inclusive rooms are very basic but clean food on the all inclusive is prety much basic buffet style food couple of choices plus the usual chips and burgers hot dogs plus ice creams pool area is also a basic pool nothing more than that all inclusive drinks from 1100 to 2300 are ok never had to Q and staff always very helpfull entertainment was usual holiday stuff we would highly recomend eden all inclusive if you have children from age 12 down to about 2 and plan to stay in hotel all day every day this is great CHEAP HOLIDAY if your looking for antthing more than this would suggest somewhere else we will be back to eden for sure however beware puerto rico is very very very hilly

Room Tip: expect basic fun family holiday and you wont be diapointed
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank christopher b
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I used to work for Thomsons so when I heard that this hotel used to be a super family hotel I laughed... Booked with on the beach NEVER AGAIN...We only went there as it had a kids club for our girl when we got there they said there's no kids club thomson left the hotel 4 year's ago and a turned off jacuzzi was used as a kids pool 20+ babies toddlers and children squashed in here as the main pool you can't even walk into the shallow end is 120cm.. We were self catering however a fridge microwave and 2 hobs (no grill. no oven) doesn't leave much for us to eat...As for sunbeds I was up at 6am EVERY morning and there wasn't much space round the pool there were people sleeping on the loungers from 1 am to get beds... The entertainment staff pete and mark were the only good points about this hotel our daughter liked them both and they always made an effort and involved everyone however some of the shows were not suitable for small children but as entertainment never started till 9.30-10 and finished by 11.30 it was short lived after hearing how bad the food was from the all inclusive people I'm glad we stayed self catering...I would not go back to this hotel again or recommend it, having worked as a rep for years I was appalled...

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Mair J
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Returned from a lovely 11 night break at tge eden. Dont normally write reviews but having read some of tge rubbish people are writing, felt i had to. Staff are very friendly and couldnt do enough for you always bringing more drinks over to us (all inclusive aswell and no i never tipped). Had no complaints over the food, wasnt a la carte but we never paid for a la carte either! Always managed to get a sun lounger, but then i was always up before 9am. Rooms very spacious, we were in one of the older rooms but again no complaints, all in all an excellent holiday in an excellent area. Dont be put off by people who seem to expect a lot more than what they pay for :)

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Steatkin9
Reviewed 4 August 2014

just got back from Eden apartments spent 2 weeks all inclusive, nightmare in food hall as they have entertainment in there as well impossible to get a table of evening to eat as once people have finished they wont move to let other people eat as they have there place to watch entertainment. which means not enough tables for other holiday makers to have there meals. very understaffed , most waiting and bar staff miserable as sin not very helpful especially manager off food hall and bar, no sunbeds around pool in 2 weeks I was there , food ok need more variety for kids and adults consisted of rice & chips mainly. need to change rules for all inclusive guests if your ill wont even allow you to take a peace of toast for family member etc back to apartment never been so disgusted and disappointed in the whole of my life be warned don't go all inclusive to Eden apartments advise self catering if don't wish to stave to death. would never return to these apartments ever in my lifetime.

Room Tip: room by pool and food hall
1  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just returned from an 8 night stay at the Eden. We found that the staff were really friendly and the night-time entertainment was definitely entertaining! We were staying in the Annex, which was really nice and had a lovely pool. However, it would be nice to have been shown there when we arrived as it was quite confusing to find! We tried to get a sunbed at the main pool a few times, however, we were always unable to do this. There are signs around informing people that they cannot reserve sunbeds, however, this is not stuck to as they were always full up of towels when we arrived for breakfast at 9:00. This would be okay, but people were never actually on their beds until much later! All-in-all we had a really enjoyable holiday and benefited from the buffet breakfast. However, the Eden needs to ensure that if they make rules, they stick to them!

Room Tip: Take earplugs for at night!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Samantha L
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This holiday was terrible experience. The first mistake I made was believing everything the agents told me. (" on the Beach". ) Firstly, I booked an all inclusive package, which was to include all food snacks, drinks, except branded drinks, and entertainment, and I added the transfers. That was just what my family wanted, so I booked and paid. Within 10 mins of checking in I was made aware, that this was not going to be the case. We put our bags in the room, and went to get some lunch, and a drink. The food was luke warm, and we asked for a beer, a cocktail for my wife, and 2 children's cocktails, seeing as they had given us the menu. We were told the cocktails, including the kids ones, were not free. These were chargeable. €3.50 per child's drink, which just had juices in it, and 4€ for the wife's. I went and spoke to the receptionist who pleaded ignorance, and told me to go and speak to the bar Manager. He explained that it was the resorts policy to only offer 2 cocktails on the menu of 25 to the all inclusive guests. This was my first issue. Next the food, this was poor, Luke warm at beet and a very poor choice. So we decided to order a snack. Snacks are not on the all inclusive menu either. You have to pay for these. Again I was pointed to the bar Manager, who explained it was the resorts policy to only offer certain meals on the AI package. So we just gave up and ended spending a lot of extra cash on meals out, in rider to get some decent meals.
Ahhh the entertainment must have made up for this surely. Don't kid yourself. This is generally a sales pitch in order to get you to buy photos. An example would be the reptile show, which starts at 10pm!!! The presenter came and showed the guests a Turtle, a small snake , then a large one,which took 25 mins, and then spent over an hour, selling trying to sell photos to everyone. They do have kids entertainment most nights, which was a colouring completion. They just asked the kids to colour in a picture for 30 mins. And please believe me, that is not an exaggeration in the slightest. Sun beds were basically a sporting event. If you did not get up to reserve one by 6.15, you were not hoping to get one. There are signs telling you not too reserve them, when I pointed this out to reception, she said that I was lying. So I took a photo, and showed her. She said I might as well join them as there was nothing they could do. I was given a number by the agent in order to contact them if I had any issues, I called 8 consecutive days, and never had my call answered once. So I sent an email, explaining my concerns, and I reviewed on back, saying it Gould take upto 59 days to get back to me!!!!
By the time my final day came I could get out fast enough. We had to get our prepaid coach back at 3.40am. We were there at 3.30, with another family, and our coach never turned up. We both had to get taxis, at a cost of 70€ each. Again I contacted the agent, and as yet have not had a response at all. I used to live in a Puerto Rico, and have only ever spoke with great fondness for the place. I held in it in a very special place, and after this holiday I will jot ever see it in the same way again. This is the worst holiday experience, I have ever had, and left feeling very disappointed, and cheated out of my money. I will never return to this resort, and I will happily tell everyone who asks me about the place to stay well away.

9  Thank Jason A
Altamarhotel, Director Comercial at Eden Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank for having stayed at Eden Apartments and have shared your experiences with us. We are very sorry for the displeasure produced during your stay. In relation to the cocktails, you have had to pay for them because the time of all inclusive for the drinks is 11 am to 11pm. Also the staff inform to the customers that they can not reserve the sunbeds before 9 am but if this is so the towels are removed of the sunbeds. Regarding the transfer, could you tell us if the transfer was booked from origin or at the hotel? Because always a customer book a tranfer with us, these are guaranteed transport. If the transfer is not booked through us, you have to communicate this problem to the company in which you booked.

If this is not the case, please contact us. For anything, we are at your absolute disposition.

Commercial Manager Altamar Hotels & Resorts

Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa
Cala Blanca
Cala Blanca
#11 of 16 in Mogan

Been to Eden Apartments? Share your experiences!