“The Garden of Eden!”

Ranked #12 of 70 Hotels in Puerto Rico
London, United Kingdom
“The Garden of Eden!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Please remember that the Eden apartments are classified as 3 star, so set your expectations accordingly. Also, study the location and appreciate that the resort is in the hills, but don't let this stop you! Taxi fares are cheap.....4 euro's gets you too Puerto Rico or Amodores beach and there is enough to do on site.

We have just returned from 10 days all inclusive in a 2 bedroom apartment for 6 (4 adults, 2 children). This meant that 2 had to sleep on the converted sofa's (no different to a previous Iberostar holiday).
All in all, we have very little to complain about. Accommodation was as expected, enough choice of food for all, including the children (BBQ on a Sunday night was impressive), best holiday breakfast I have seen (British sausages!), pool was amazing, no issue with getting a sun bed (again, same as previous holidays, if you want the best spot, get up early) and evenings were pleasant, we had a sing along to Lionel Ritchie and Elvis.......and the bingo song!

Don't be put off by the negative reviews on this site, clearly from groups that don't understand that this is a family resort, not in the centre of Puerto Rico and have never stayed outside of a Haven resort!

Most of the groups staying are regulars, several groups that we talked to during our time had been going to Eden for 10 years plus.......that says something.

Don't get me wrong, there are always opportunities to improve, but in the main it is about understanding where you are going, what to expect from the accommodation and that this is a relaxing family resort......

My last comment is that this is a value for money option, if you are looking at Eden then it will attractive due to the price.......for what you pay, you will not be disappointed.

4 Thank Alun C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
bury, manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just come home from eden after a fortnight all inclusive stay my husband and I and my 21 yr my 10 yr old and 4 yr old granddaughter we had a fab time great food good entertainment and friendly staff always happy to help. The only issue is the saving of sunbeds heard people at 4 am taking towels to save beds. You will need a taxi to get down town 5 euros or you could walk if feeling energetic. Would definitely recommend to my family and friends.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank pozzie67
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family decided to go to the Canaries for the weather and location with it not being too far of a flight from London. We travelled as 5 and went for a family holiday. We finally reached Eden after long transfer from the airport, being one of the last off of the coach.

As we arrived we was greeted by a friendly receptionist which gave us our key to our room. We also purchased Wi-Fi for a week which cost 18 Euros - not a bad price compared to the Airport which was 5 Euros for 45 minutes. The room was a little trek away but we had one of the new rooms. Number 57 was our room, there was no view outside apart from a bare garden area. It is a good substitute for a balcony and a good place to chill out in the evenings.

The room was in a very clean condition when we arrived with good facilities. We stayed as 5 and there was two bedrooms - with two beds in each. I took the sofa, which isn't a sofa bed. It wasn't the best as the cushions were rock hard but I wasn't complaining at all. You get a refrigerator and freezer, with a drawer containing cutlery for those who need it. Being all-inclusive you don't find yourself needing these. Each room had a ceiling fan which was useful. If this wasn't enough you can buy air conditioning for your room at the reception. The room wasn't cleaned regularly, once every 3 days maybe, however towels were changed and cleaned regularly.

At first we discovered our room was quite a walk away from the restaurant and pool area, but we discovered a short-cut which only took a minute to get to. You have to walk over a small but steep bridge to get into the restaurant area. All staff in the area were friendly, sometimes the bar staff would be a bit pushy, but it's understandable with a line of people to get through. The restaurant staff were very helpful, always keeping the tables clear. Sometimes if you're sitting without a drink they would ask if you wanted one and would bring you them as you eat. The selection of food wasn't the greatest. However there was a BBQ night and a Chinese night. The food on these two nights was very nice and would recommend trying all of what they have to offer... if you have the room for it. On our second to last day, my sister found some sort of insect (in the food), dead, on her plate... which was kind of a put off... but this only happened once.

The pool area is set out quite nicely. People would be sleeping on the sunbeds at 6 am and even earlier, so if you wanted a particular sun-bed, bring your toothbrush and a pillow for the night. Apart from that, there are plenty of beds on the left side of the pool, which is exposed to the sun if you want to get a tan. There are plenty of umbrellas for everyone if you just want to chill in the shade too. The area around the pool was quite dangerous and slippery. A man slipped around the pool and injured his shoulder/ arm... he was in a sling for the rest of his holiday. You just have to walk very slowly around, otherwise you'll be gliding everywhere. There could be some better grip around the pool, especially because it's usually so packed out in there. The pool itself was kept in good condition and was cleaned every morning. It is very deep for young children so they would have to be supervised by an adult if they can't swim. Only one day out of the 10 days was there a pool activity, and that was water polo. They only played this as people had been asking the staff if they could play it.

A useful perk of coming to the Eden Apartments is the mini supermarket located two steps outside of the reception. It has everything you need in there, and is perfect for self-catered visitors. If this wasn't enough you can take a small walk to the Europa Centre and it has many bars and restaurants, also shops selling knock off items. The only issue about this place is if you want to walk down and browse on your own, you can't. You will be bombarded with people trying to get you in their shop... which is the same story for almost every shop in Puerto Rico.

I mentioned the small distance to get to the supermarket and the Europa centre but if you want to spend a day at the beach it's a long downhill walk. On our first visit we took the "long route" which was down a steep and dangerous hill (one of us slipped). The other route contained steps, I counted 700 steps. Your legs will feel like jelly at the bottom. I would recommend getting a taxi back to the apartments, they are cheap rides back... with us getting about four taxis back in our stay, costing on average 4-5 Euros each time.

As for activities in and around the apartments there isn't much to do. We went to the beach which hosted Water sports. Three of us including me went para-sailing which was good fun - even if we had to wait 2 days for them to repair the boat. We had to take this option over the big water park in Maspalomas as it was a fortune to get there. For five of us it would have totalled nearly 200 Euros to get there and back, this also including the price to get in the water park.

The entertainment at the complex is average, at 4pm every day it hosts Bingo. One of the entertainers takes the kids on some days to take part in activities like darts and "killer pool". Each night at 10pm (which I think is a little too late) there was an evening show. Personally I didn't stay around for any of these so I can't comment on them. My family did and said the majority of the shows were good. If the show contains animals, get your wallet at the ready if you want a picture... usually around 12-20 Euros.

The large majority of this apartment was English which was nice if you're English too. One night, a young group (who booked the wrong holiday) were dancing a bit too explicitly whilst a young girl did karaoke and there was a little squabble. I mean, that was entertaining in itself, but not for young children. The staff at the hotel got security involved promptly and everything was taken care of swiftly.

Overall it's a great place to stay, I wont be staying here again as there wasn't much to do around or in the complex. But if you're a parent and looking to bring your children here, don't hesitate, they and yourself will have a nice time!

1 Thank Jack B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at Eden on 14th-21st and came away very happy...It's on top of a hill and quite family orientated, but it's a lovely walk down to the beach (20 mins) and a £3.40 taxi back up! Apartments are a generous size (ask for Upper Floor), all inclusive is from 11 till 11...Estrella lager on tap and infinite slush! There's a lot of food to choose from, friendly staff, a lot of different entertainment in the evenings from circus acts to very clever parrot performers! If you fancy a few drinks post midnight, then Europa is a 2 min walk and has a variety of pubs, restaurants, gift shops and a club.
I am 30 and my partner is 28. We loved it! As I mentioned above, it would suit a family more and there's lots of cooking apparatus if you want to go self catering. (You have to go all inc though!).
Transfer time is 1 hr 40, but nice sights and time to get some sleep in!
Hope this helps. We would go back btw!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank AJJnSEBBY
Ayrshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just arrived back from a ten night stay at the Eden on the all-inclusive basis. We are a young couple and 15 year old who booked with On The Beach. I can honestly say the apartments and complex has everything you could ask for.
We stayed here from the 13th-23rd August. Using Hopparide for our transfer took around half the time as the regular coach. Only around 5 stops until we arrived at apartments. (Do check your paperwork regarding the confirmation of your return transfer as the office closes at 1pm).
On arrival we were greeted at the reception and given our all-inclusive bands and told our room number which was number 38. Great room next to pool and restaurant. The veranda opens up to a large grass garden area which was in the shade all day which suited us as the temperature was in the 90's some days so we enjoyed being able to relax in the shade when back at our apartment.
We did have to rise early in the morning to guarantee a sunbed but this is expected as the complex is really busy. The pool is not as deep as others we have been to so be careful at first when jumping in. Complex is clean and staff all pleasant and friendly. Our room was cleaned on the 5th day of the holiday although plenty towels and bedding when we arrived.
My 15 year old had no problem making friends as there were many families there of all age groups and everyone looked out and spoke to one another giving the place a lovely atmosphere.
The supermarket in apartments are really cheap with a great choice of food, juices, alcohol and lilo's. We did make the most of the all-inclusive and always had good fresh meals and alcohol which is definitely not watered down. Local beer was nice too.
The Europa Center is literally a 5 minute walk from the Eden and has numerous bars, restaurants and shops. We visited this around 5 times on our holiday and have to give a shout out for the Blarney Stone (Irish bar) where you are guaranteed a great night!
The waterpark in Maspalomas is a brilliant day out. For all 3 of us it cost 78 Euros entry, and 3.50 Euros for sunbeds. We took our own picnic as food and drink in there is expensive. My son bought a hot dog and pepsi which was 10 Euros so I would advise taking in your own (no glass bottles allowed).
The Eden has shows on every night and runs on a fortnightly basis so did have a different show each night of our holiday. Also at 4pm they have a fun hour which includes bingo, darts and killer pool.
This is a great complex which is busy all year round so if your looking for a quiet holiday with no kids I wouldn't advise it but this is exactly what we wanted.
We had a great time and are planning to book up for our next holiday there as soon as possible. If anything I have missed please don't hesitate to message me and I will comment if I can.

Room Tip: Room 38 is right next to pool, bar and restaurant so a lot of passers by but great location so would...
6 Thank Cheryl P
newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just returned from the Eden in the early hours of this morning 10thAugust, had a great time , there are a few small negatives so i'll get them out of the way first.
*sunbed situation is a nightmare, most beds are taken by 7am, some even earlier, they have added more beds this week which has helped a bit
*Food at the hotel is great but they do not have any type of childrens choice apart from burgers at lunchtime so if your kids are fussy they might struggle a bit.
*would benefit greatly from a kids club
*entertainment area would be better outside on main terrace as can be cramped as its help in the restaurant after evening meals are finished
Good points.....
* we paid extra to stay in one of the refurbished apartments and they are lovely, whilst they do not have air conditioning, the fans are in every room and very effective
*food really good quality, there is only a small area but a great choice and like I said earlier a childrens buffet would be great.
*You can order food from the main menu which you pay a supplement for and whilst we didnt use it, everything looked lovely
*Bar staff are great, take the time out to get to know you and your families, reception also really helpful
*Mark and Pete who are providing the entertainment this year are great fun and try their best to get everyone involved in the daily activites, there are also nightly shows at the hotel and while they might not be to everyones taste there is something provided for you.

Few euros in a taxi will get you down into the main resort and there is a wider choice of shops bars etc there although the Europa centre which is about 2 mins from hotel also has plenty of shops and bars

Overall we have had a great time and would return to the hotel, keep up the good work Eden

Room Tip: all pool view rooms overlook entertainment area so may be a bit noisy
2 Thank holidaysonline
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Now I'm not one for writing reviews but feel after reading the bad reviews on here I should! We stayed at the Eden in June myself my partner and our 4 children aged 7,8,11,12 and I can honestly say its one of of the best holidays we've been on! The apartments are basic but spotless and this is from the lady who takes a bottle of flash in her case every time she goes away! Lol we upgraded whilst there to all inclusive and at only 15 euros per day for a child and 30 euros for an adult I carnt see how anybody can possibly complain! Yes as with most all inclusive things do get a bit repetitive but there is always something even for the most fussiest of eaters! To be fair it's worth it it just for the drinks and ice cream for the kids all day the food is an added bonus haha the pool area is lovely yes there's no shallow end but if your children carnt swim take arm bands and tada jobs done and as with most hotels people will always reserve loungers it's been happening everywhere for years not just at the Eden my advise would be to build a bridge and get over it other wise you may never enjoy another holiday again! Or you could just move the towels there's always a solution, all in all the Eden is a fantastic little hotel set in a nice quite area but close enough to the attractions of the Europa, taxis are cheap if you want to venture further afield the food is lovely the apartments are clean the staff are great! This is not not a 5* hotel but it never claims to be! It is however excellent value for money! We've already booked to go back next year and we honestly carnt wait!

• Stayed June 2014