“Basic apartments, a long walk to the action.”

Jacaranda Apartments
Ranked #64 of 68 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Preston, United Kingdom
“Basic apartments, a long walk to the action.”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

These are basic apartments that are positioned a long way from the action, up a large hill accessed by a long, quite steep and winding road. The view is fantastic but after a few days of walking up and down lost its appeal. Taxis are not a solution as the cost will quickly convince you that it would of been better to pay a little extra for the accommodation. If you intend to hire a car or enjoy walking then the location would be no problem. The accommodation was clean and a good standard for what we paid, as we did get a discounted holiday. Some people who stayed paid a lot more than we did and I would of been disappointed if i'd paid what they did.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JohnT1984

Business
Scotland
Reviewed 26 March 2008

This place offers good basic accomadation, rooms are tierd but very clean the whole place could do with a make over but for what you pay they offer good value. Due to the location of the apartments and the many, many, many stairs you have to use to acess your apartment this is not the place for you if you have any mobility issues. The staff are friendly in particular the maids who will gladly chat away if you can speak a little spanish. Had one little incident when using the Corona Rosa bar (sister hotel) where the bar man swore at me under his breath for having a 50 euro note, but did get a apology. All in all a good place for a cheap week away.

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank jonbites
liverpool
Reviewed 4 October 2007

We booked this holiday purely as a base as we are moving to Gran Canaria in a couple of months and needed to view apts etc, so it was very fortunate that we booked a car ! otherwise it would of cost us a lot of money getting taxis up and down the hill. These apartments are not for the older person due to the amount of steps you have to negotiate just to get to your room, the layout is very confusing and took us all week to work out the best route from the car to our apartment. In the evening coming home after a few drinks and stumbling out of the taxi I think our homing instinct took over as we always woke up in the correct apartment ! The security in the complex was non-existant which did concern us as we felt isolated from the main areas. In the past we have always stayed at the porto nova and compared to the Jacaranda is heaven, we have booked the Marine suites for our next trip to help us get over the shock of the Jacaranda which has not worked out much dearer for bed and breakfast.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the layout of the complex
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank bobbyLiverpool
Aalesund, Norway
Reviewed 5 May 2007

Stayed in Apt. Jacaranda for my first time in December 2006 and get surprised when I arrived late in night. I was prepared for 3 weeks in a budget apartemento, but Jacaranda was pleasantly bigger and more tidy then expected. A little bit worn, but warm colours on curtains, furniture and wall make it better.

My apartment was situated in the top floor with beautiful view to mountain and the valley down to the harbour. Well equipped with fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster and coffee maker. Have patience with the 2-ring cooker! Satellite TV for rent, costs €13 a week plus €10 in deposit. Safety box (with key) costs €10 a week plus €6 in deposit.

Huge balconies furnished with 3 plastic chairs, table and a drying stand. My balcony gets the sun the whole day, from sunrise to 4 p.m.

The canarian cockroaches visited me once; the very first morning. I said hello and goodbye to “him” with hairspray and never saw others from his family again. The cleaning lady came 5 days a week (except Sunday and Tuesday). Brought fresh towels and cleaned the place. No problems on this front at all. Very satisfied with the standard of cleaning. She was a hard working lady, but some days she take a short break for a little chat with me in Spanish.

I knew the location was up the top of the hill and was bound for public transport. Unfortunately the authorities had stopped the public transport since last time I visited Puerto Rico.

No problems with hiring taxis, reception in the sister hotel Corona Rosa call up. It's only 2-3 euros to get down and up the hill. In daylight I walk the winding road down to town centre, 15-20 minutes with magnificent view. Car rental is also a suggestion, but I want "vino tinto" to complete my dinner.

For one night I decided dinner in the Corona Rosa pool bar. First and last time for me, it was terrible. Avoid the food at the bar.

In Centro Comercial there are a huge number of restaurants and bars. My favourite dinner places are hereby warm recommended: La Cabana, Albatross and Las Brasas. Delicious food, cheap and marvellous service.

Supermarket with acceptable prices close to the apartment, but I do my shopping down town (Netto).

All-in-all a successful holiday with wonderful weather (as ordered before departure). I will certainly book Apt. Jacaranda for next December.

• Liked — The balcony and the view, apart from price. And easy access to hillwalkings.
  • Disliked — No public transport and the distance to the town
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
8 Thank AuroraNorway

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Rico hotels

cathathowells@yahoo.com
Reviewed 14 August 2006

We, like most of the guests at the Jacaranda Apartments, had got a cheap last minute holiday, and so you have to 'suck it and see'.

When we arrived (most people arrive & leave during the middle of the night!) we were horrified at how high up in the hills and away from everything we were. However, in the light of day we found the hotel to be very friendly and just what we needed for our 10 year old child.

Everyone at the hotel was British and, therefore, they looked after your belongings & your children as a matter of course. Most had children too which meant they all played together safely and happily within the hotel grounds. Being a couple with a young child all this helped us to have a very very pleasant holiday.

The entertainment was great fun. Alex managed to entertain us 3 nights a week with silly quizzes, games for the children and drinking games for the adults! As we had a child, we would go down into the resort for an evening meal and then return to the hotel before it became too late and too rowdy. The Race Night was great fun and we all enjoyed the food and singer at the BBQ.

Puerto Rico itself was dreadful – a mini Blackpool!!! But there are so many eating places for children who are fussy like ours. There is plenty of cheap and nice English food and you can get Chinese banquets very cheaply.

The beach is great with a lovely harbour. As our resort was so high up we were away from the noise of people returning at all hours of the night. However, it was noisy at night as all concrete buildings can be. Sound travels and none of us slept particularly well. And, as I mentioned earlier, people did tend to arrive & leave during the night.

The room was adequate and we managed to cook a few meals with the equipment provided. The decoration was shabby, but nothing like I had read on previous reviews. Take a dishcloth!! You can buy most things in the small supermarket in the hotel.

The pool was great as we had 2 (sharing one with the sister hotel with pool bar). Everyone played together, which was lovely.

We were a long way up the hill and everywhere was quite a long walk down a steep hill. So we relied on taxis costing approximately 2 or 3 Euros each time.

All in all, the reason I am writing this review is just to give facts, as when we booked our last minute holiday to Jacaranda Apartments, I could find very little on the website. I hope you will like us take it all with ‘a pinch of salt’, and enjoy the sun and friendliness of everyone at the Jacaranda Apartments.

Cath, Kevin & Rhys Hughes

10 Thank cathhughes
UK
Reviewed 21 May 2006

We were allocated the Jacaranda on arrival in Grand Canary, it was 60 Euros in a taxi from the airport late at night. When we woke up the following morning in the bright sunshine we realised we were at the top of the hill in Peurto Rico and were faced with a 20 to 30 minute walk to the beach or the town centre.

The apartments themselves were clean and had all the basic facilities you would except from a 2star facility. We pushed the beds together and although they were not the most comfortable in the world they did us ok. You had to pay a further 10 Euros for a depoist on the TV and then 2 Euros per day to actually use it. The bathroom had a little damage in the bath and I guess this summed up the Jacaranda apartments over all, there was the odd tile missing here and there around the complex, and you sometimes felt it needed a lick of paint around the place. The pool was a little skanky so we never used it and instead walked down to the beach and swam in the sea.

the staff in reception were really nice an very helpful and even helped book taxis for us and find buses back to the airport when the rep for the holiay company could not be bothered.

Overall the Jacaranda is a cheap simple accomodation format, but its location leaves a little to be desired and it needs a paint job to re-establish it.

• Stayed May 2006
#15 of 48 in Puerto Rico
Apartamentos Mayaguez
Apartamentos Mayaguez
#13 of 48 in Puerto Rico

Been to Jacaranda Apartments? Share your experiences!