“as it is”

ClubHotel Riu Vistamar
Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed 16 December 2013

just returned from our 5th visit to the Vistamar,and once again did not disappoint,the only disappointment was the weather which of course has nothing to do with the hotel,only I wish the hotel had put something on in the large concert room for us to do,games were on but only the normal shuffleboard etc which is normally on outside,so was bit boring for couple of days when it poured down non stop..Anyway the staff in this hotel are the best ,the bar staff exceptional,the food was superb maybe sometimes could be hotter but apart from that was very good.Our room was floor 5 and got what I asked for,brilliant view over the stunning beach,but got a bit of a shock when we got in the room as I didn't realise the rooms on the 5th floor are so much smaller,a whole balcony size smaller,so wont do that again.When we got the sun we sunbathed on the solarium bit of a suntrap but get towels on early we went at 9am all beds had towels on the beds so go early ,at the pools beds are a bit close to each other. so is it a return visit for us,,,,you bet roll on March.

Room Tip: try for high floor overlooking beach but floor 5 are smaller rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank annieEastYorks
Write a ReviewReviews (2,735)

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Good hotel. Clean comfortable accommodation. Friendly staff. Delicious and varied choice of food. Entertainment was enjoyable. Liked the 2 sittings for dinner and the fact you had the same table all week. Sun worshippers should opt to bathe in the private area called the solarium. Really enjoyed our week which flew in. Will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pauline H
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Just got back after a great week,where do i start!
The reception,quick and easy with friendly staff
The room,comfortable and clean
The food,excellent with plenty of choice
The kids club,fun with loads to do
Riu animation staff,friendly,fun and always chatty
Entertainment, so what if its mimed its entertaining and enjoyable
Pools and sunbeds,two pools and loads of beds
The lifts,theres 175 steps from bottom to top ideal to work off those calories!! If you dont like to wait then walk!if you dont want to walk then dont moan
Drinks,plentiful and loads of choice including international brands,you dont have to wait to get served either.
Cleaners fantastic
Cant wait to return

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank H A
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Returned from fortnights stay at the Vistamar on 26th October. This was our fifth visit in 4 years.
Hotel was very full but never seemed crowded. Very swift check in. All staff without exception very friendly and helpful. Food excellent with plenty of choice and variety. Drinks choice very good with premium brands available, but would benefit with a good beer.Animation team very good
although evening show format might benefit from revamp. We always spend most of our time at the solarium on the 9th floor which has been brightened by new sunbeds/umbellas and lighter floor coloring. Very good night at the Irish bar in Europa Centre(10 mins walk).will most definately be back next year.

Room Tip: ask for room on 4/5 floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zbunny57
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just returned from a winter week in the Riu Vistamar.
This was our 4th visit since it opened.
Check in was quick and everything about the hotel explained to us, we had a room on the 5th floor (we had emailed ahead) the views fantastic. The hotel is sort of upside down in that reception is on the 8th floor and restaurant on 7th. There are some gripes but will leave those to the end.
Rooms are spacious, with 2 single beds together for twin rooms, beds comfortable and extra pillows in wardrobes if required, adequate mirrors, a small table and 2 chairs. Bathroom clean shower we found excellent, mirror and shaving point. There is a small tray with shower gel etc and replenished daily. Towels were changed daily.
Restaurants: Food good and plenty of variety although I think you may struggle if a veggie.
Breakfasts good variety for a cooked breakfast, cold there was cereals, yoghurts flavoured and plain, cheeses, tomatoes, fresh and tinned fruits. Croissants, breads, rolls and sponges and tea breads.
Lunch: serves in restaurant and at pool bar. Not much difference in what they serve, although pool bar has burgers, hot dogs, etc the restaurant offers soup, pizza, salads and hot meats as well as cold and salads. There are 3 speciality restaurants, we tried 2 the Andalucian and the Asian. Food was good in both with variety.
Dinner: Again plenty of choice, cold and hot soups, salads, show cooking etc, plenty of choice in desserts with fresh fruit also. There are 2 meal sittings just give your preference to times.
There is wine on tap we chose the rose as the White was awful. Soft drinks and beer also on tap with meals.
Only the pool bar open for drinks through the day,
There is a bar in the entertainment area from 6pm. Good choice and brand names, also cocktails and fruit juice
Entertainment available throughout the day no problem if you don't want to join in.
Evening entertainment was by the hotel animation team and not too bad. I've seen so much worse.
There is a free bus from the hotel to Amadores beach. Mostly busy at peak times.
Now for the gripes they may not bother other people in that they are minor
Towels being put down at the crack of dawn to reserve the best sun loungers, they used to lift them previously.
Tables in the restaurant too close together, some people have the most dreadful table manners and insist on blowing their nose at the table. Bigger spaces would be great and I thought maybe that would happen but no.
Wi fi only available free for 30 mins continuous use and only works in the reception floor. You can pay I think by the day or week, but people have said again it doesn't work in rooms.
Air conditioning does work but not very effective. Rooms become warm even with it at the lowest setting. There is a ceiling fan also. We had it on 24/7 to keep the room a bit cooler.
If you have mobility problems then think seriously. It maybe ok to go down the hill at the hotel but steep to come back up again.
The speciality restaurant has to be reserved, it's entirely buffet style which I felt was a disappointment. It was our anniversary and I thought it would be nice for a change but they only cook a small amount at a time so you end up having to wait for mor. The Asian one was good and would recommend for the food only.
I think I've covered most things. Staff are lovely and always smiling saying "ola"
The hotel is a bit tired looking, but clean.
Rooms have flat screen TVs but limited British channels.
It Rained for a period on 2 days and you really realise there isn't much to do.
I think I would visit again in a few years.
The balcony has a table and two chairs. We had rooms 539 and 540 and it got the sun for the majority of the day.

Room Tip: E mail ahead for a room on the 4 th or 5 th floor as the lifts get very busy. They only hold 8 peopl...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank holidaycritic
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Very good Hotel for position, landscape view, food and amazing animation team (this time very very good).
For us it's the second time and we will be back in the future if possible.
But... I must say BUT, this time.
In my opinion it's not possible that in 2013 a 4 star Hotel doesn't give the possibility to have a wifi connection in the room or in the pool or somewhere in the hotel outside the hall. Normally in every hotel that I have been I had free wifi connection in the reception lounge and if I want, for payment, I can have the connecrion also in my room. In some hote also free connection everywhere. But (here) If I want to have the connection where I need it (room, pool) and I can't get it, even paying, there is something that I can't understand, for the level of the hotel and because nowadays it's a must. 20 euro for 1 week just in the reception is unbelievable.

Another unbelievable thing is the cold water of the pool. why don't they put some solar pannel just for the pool water (it's sunny all the year)? But this is a problem that I have found in each Canarian Hotel I have been.

Considering that I like to go in the Canary Islands in november an that these problems are tipical of all the hotels, I must say that this is for sure one of the best place to go.

I want to say again that I have found, this year, an amazing and professional animation team: congratulation to all of them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Pros -
Very clean
Great location for amazing views
Friendly & helpful reception staff (even charged my e cigarette in their USB ports!)
Beer fine & wine not great but acceptable!

Cons -
The food I would compare with school dinners, I'm a vegetarian & struggled more than usual, mainly lived on pizza but there's plenty of fruit.
Main restaurant could do with a bit of a makeover.
Too big for personal touch
Cocktails mainly awful
Entertainment dire.
Men wandering around the food area in skimpy speedos...please tell people to show some decorum at meal times...enough to put anyone off their food!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple