“Fabulous relaxing holiday”

Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed at the Gloria Palace Amdores for the first 2 weeks of July. I was a solo traveller, which at times can be a bit daunting but at this hotel it didnt matter one bit. Spending most of my time at the pool and beach, the only time you felt alone was at dinner but only because there were so many people having dinner at the same time.

I arrived in the evening and all I could see once I got into the hotel were the amazing views of the ocean at reception which were just the same as all of the pictures I had looked at before I traveled. The views were fantastic. The hotel looks out on the ocean so you can see it from everywhere you look. You feel spolit seeing a fantastic sunset every evening.

While checking in, I was offered champagne or orange juice which was a nice touch. Checking in was fine and I sorted out the renting of the safe there and then. It was €40 for the two weeks to use with a €5 deposit back at the end of the two weeks. It was a little pricey but my peace of mind it was worth it.

I was located in Block 3 on the same level as the Bar Salon. The room was really spacious with two single beds pushed together, a couch that could be pulled out to another double bed and a single seater couch. There was also a vanity with a huge mirror and tea/coffee making facilities. There were 2 slide wardrobes with two huge full length mirrors on the outside. There was loads of room for clothes. The bathroon was a nice size too with complimentary tolietries which were replaced everyday if used. The were a big balcony with two chairs and a table and a little clothes line that pulled out from the wall which was great cos it saved me from using the twine I bought. There was a small fridge, which I found did keep water cold but not super cold but it was still nice to have. And a TV as well with a great selection of English channels. Where I was located was a really nice quiet area and even being so close to the bar salon, you couldnt hear the noise at all. There was also air conditioning which you could control yourself.

The room was cleaned daily and pretty much around the same time each. I liked when little toffees were left on my bed with a little toblerone bar. It was a really nice touch.

The pools were fab except don't expect to get a sunbed right at the front with a sea view or by the pool itself unless you get up at 3am to put your towel out. It started to get very frustrating coming to the pool at 10.30am and the only beds left where those that were shaded by 4pm as all the other had towels on them. In some cases these beds were not even used until 3pm or so and then those people left after an hour. That is one thing and really only thing that annoyed me. I was one person looking for one bed and one unbrella I couldnt imagine what 4 people plus had to do. I tended to sunbed hop and when one was vacated further in I would go there. The pool dept was great, not too deep or shallow. There was also a bar at the pool which you could get drinks at and ice cream and there were shaded areas to sit under. There was activities announced during the day such as bingo and archery and there were some aerobics in the pool too. The pool area was nice and quiet, the main one where I went. I did try to go to the pool ontop of block 3 but it was very very hard to get a sunbed there. You could use the hotel towels but there were €0.50 to change. I had brought my own towel with me.

The snack bar on top of block 3 was also really nice. I didnt eat there but I got a drink twice and you can sit in the sun or under the shade. Snacks are really reasonable at the snack bar and it was nice to sit and chill by the railing and watch the world go by.

I went half board and that suited me fine. Breakfast was from 7.30-10.30 and had a huge buffet selection from hot food to cold meats, fruit and cereal and yogurt and pastries. Dinner was also another buffet selection from 6.30-9.30. Again a great selection with a particular countries food speciality each night ranging from French to Spanish to British. There was also a chinese section, salad section and then all the inbetween as well as a desert section with cute little cakes and pastries and ice cream. It was possible to find something to eat and you could go back as many times as you wanted. I would recommand to get a table first and then go and choose your dinner as by the time you got your dinner and found a table, the food tended to be luke warm. As I was on my own I got my food first and then found a table.You could sit outside on the balcony area or inside. I sat in the same general area each night and there were two waiters there, a man and woman, who were so nice and lovely. There were pretty much the reason why I sat in the same area each night.Also as soon as I saw down, the waitress brought me my bottle of water without even asking. Remember to bring your card key with you each time for dinner as the waitor scans it through to say you have arrived for dinner. You have to pay for your drinks at dinner. You can pay by cash or put it on your card - which was the norm for all food and drink outside of meal times. I paid cash for everything. I enjoyed going to dinner each night in hotel and to see what they had cooked. They had little signs above each dish so you knew what they were which was a nice touch.

The lift down to the coast walk was really nice with great view. Sometimes you had to wait a little while as there was only one but it was worth it for the easy access to the coast road. You had to use your card key to get in and out of the hotel as the coast walk. 15 minutes walk to the right brought you to the Amadores beach and 10 minutes to the left brought you to the Peurto Rico beach and another 10 brought you into Peurto Rico itself. If you dont mind the walk there is no need for a taxi all the time. Amadores beach is fabulous., White sands and crystal clear water and the sand didnt stick to you. Peurto Rico beach was really nice as well. It was €3 for a sunbed and €3.50 for an umbrealla but it was worth it to have a day at the beach. Both were peaceful and quiet, Peurto Rico more so and no matter what time you arrived at you would get a bed and umbrellla. There were little shops at both beaches that sold drinks and suncream and all kinds of things. I would stay at the beach till after 6.

There was a Spar shop in Peurto Rico which I would completely recommend to use if you wanted big bottles of water or groceries. It was good value and they are very nice there. It is just beside the beach but doesnt open after 8pm I think it is. Dont rush into buying from the smaller shops on the strip on the way down as they are a little more expensive.I got a taxi up the huge hill to The Europa Shopping Centre and it was deserted when I went, not many shops open. There were a good few shops in Peurto Rico with the usual knick knacks and pressents.

I would highly reccommend taking the ferry to Mogan especially on the Friday morning as that is the day of the market. Beautiful place and the market is fantastic. Lots of lovely things to buy and see and a great place to spend your money.

I also did the Whale and Dolphin watching trip with Spirit of the Sea and we saw Minke Whales and Bottlenose Dolphins. I enjoyed the trip and it was also a nice way to see some sites on the way out.

The entertainment in the evening was typical hotel entertainment. There was a really good illusion act. For my two weeks I didnt see the same act twice but I kinda stopped going to the entertainment during the second week. I found it hard to get a seat after 10pm. I didnt leave the hotel in the evevning once I realised there was not much for a solo traveller. There were bars and clubs in Peurto Rico for those interested in that.

The hotel did have internet wi-fi access but I found it hard to connect to using both my phone and kindle. They did have computers with internet access for €2 for 20 minutes.

There was 4 small shops in the lobby entrance,. Again shop around first for better value before your tempted.

I liked getting the letters through my door and took up the invitation to have a tour of the spa. If you like getting pampered its a lovely place. For taking the tour I got to use the 'get in shape' sea water pool for half price and that was something different. There was also a gym which I was allowed to use for free on one occassion but decided not to bother. The treatments were the same as at home but varying prices.

The only negative thing I would have would be the reception. There were so many staff there standing around and when I was waiting not one would ask if you were ok. I had gone to ask about a late check out and was asked to come back on the day I left by a man who could learn a little more about people skills. I went back to ask again and was told to come back on the Friday before I left and when I went back on the Friday I was told to come back on the Sat. As it turns out a letter was placed under my door saying I could have a late check out for €30 which in my opinion was completely worth it as I got to stay in my room and use my own shower and not worry about my bag while I spent my last day at the pool. I sorted that out the Sat morning before I let. That would be my only negatiive as I said. Reception, being such an important part of a hotel, could be a bit more friendly.

I had a great two weeks. It was so chilled and relaxed and a beautiul hotel. I would go back to it again and I would bring someone with me to share it all with. I wouldnt go All inclusive as I found having breakfast and dinner just fine during the day.

I traveled with Sunway Ireland and Thomson both of which I would go with again. I even won a free drink on the plane home as I guessed how many bags were on the plane!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a bit of luxury and to get away from it all. I think it deserves its 4 star rating.

Room Tip: I was in block 3 which had a fantastic sea view and was quiet. I cant say what the other blocks were...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
16  Thank CillDaraCailin_12
GLORIA_TH, Public Relations Manager at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2016

Dear Gloria Palace Amadores Guest,

Thank you for choosing GLORIA Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel**** again and the time you have spent sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your holiday with Gloria and I also want to thank you for your long and extensive review, which will definitely be useful for our new guests.

Our team was really glad to know that you liked the food selection at restaurant as well as entertainment shows and you room furnishing. Our main goal is customer satisfaction and we are doing our best to deliver the best experience possible.

We hope to see you one more time in sunny Gran Canaria to make your next trip amazing as well,

Best regards from Amadores,
Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel ****
Public Relations Team

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My wife & I stayed for 10 days from 15th July & what a holiday we had fantastic, hotel & weather was fantastic, we stayed in block 2 floor 5 with fantastic veiws over looking pool & Atlantic ocean, there are 2 pools the one at block 2 it the busy pool with all your activities going on,the pool at block 1 is the more chilled & relaxed one brilliant we made lots off friends there! Rooms a very spacious with a nice balcony where you could have a nice drink after a hard days sunbathing lol,nice bathroom with 2 sinks good power shower & bath there is a tv I did have it on when were getting ready to go to dinner! You have bbc1 bbc2 itv channel 4 film 4 sky news & there was a childrens channel think it was CBeebies! oh all rooms have carpets so if you have someone above you you don't hear anything like moving furniture! Food....couldn't fault it plenty off choice fish,pork steak, lamb, Chinese ect I could go on & on sweets gorgeous! Pool bar toasties fries, hotdogs burgers pizza, if you didn't want to go too restaurant for lunch! Sun beds not a problem always loads, infact the couples we met we always managed to get beds beside each other! We were all-inclusive best way too go but that's my opinion! Yes it is true you have to take your room card with you when ordering drinks even at pool they just swipe it not a problem at all, staff at pool bar fantastic very quick & polite one off the bar staff even taught me to order all my drinks in Spanish we had a good laugh doing this! Entertainment only went once not good we always went to lobby bar great bar to go to with people you have met or make news friends great atmosphere, there is a tv but sound always turned down! Staff at lobby bar very good by the second night the barman knew wot my wife & I were drinking! I thought wow how many people does he serve in a night to remember ours plus he was quite a funny guy. Reception staff very good & helpful always well staffed always spoke to you when you passed desk! All in all hotel, staff superb can't wait till we go back..

Room Tip: Ask for a high room for the views, block 3 & 4 the much quieter blocks!
5  Thank Steven G
GLORIA_TH, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing GLORIA Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel**** and the time that you have spent sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I pretty much appreciate your review with such a high valued score and full of details and tips for other guests. I am also glad that all the GLORIA team has met your expectations with our facilities, furnishing, as well as the staff.

We would be absolutely glad to see you one more time,

Sunny Regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed at the Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel for 2 nights and enjoyed every minute of the time. The location is excellent - between Puerto Rico and Amadores - 2 of the best beaches in Gran Canary to choose from. Breakfast was overwhelming, so much to feast on. The facilities are superb, Pools and recreation area great, the Spa excellent. In short a great hotel and we recommend it strongly.

A happy and relaxed couple from Iceland,
Ingimar & Greta

3  Thank Ingimarjons
GLORIA_TH, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2016

Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Furthermore, we pretty much appreciate that you liked the facilities from the hotel as well as the food.

We would kindly welcome you next time as well,

Reviewed 24 July 2012

The Hotel meets every expectation for a good holiday. Staff,accomodation and food excellent. Pity the reception staff took the "couldn't care less attitude" when my wife reported that part of her Bikini had been removed with the towels placed on the broken airer by housekeeping.
Complained to the Hotel by e-mail still waiting for someone to have the decency to reply.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Alexander M

Dear Guest,

I want to apologise for this issue with reception. You can be sure that I will pass your complaint to Reception Management team for further discussion and improvement.

We are glad that we have met your expectations and it will be an honour to welcome you in a near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

My sister and her family stayed here for a week. We live here but visited the hotel every day without any problems gaining entrance!
The rooms are spacious with outstanding sea views and the beds are massive!
Couldn't fault the buffet - each tray being constantly replaced when nearly empty.
The hotel is just a few minutes walk from the lovely Amadores beach and about ten minutes walk to the main shopping centre in Puerto Rico or a 5 minute cab drive to the Europa centre at the top of the hill.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank LisaGuide

Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again in the future,

Sunny Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2012

just returned from the gloria palace . definately the best hotel we:ve ever stayed in . The staff are very helpful, rooms immaculate, choice of food was amazing . We would definately recommed this hotel , in fact two of our friends have just booked on our recommendation. The only down side of the holiday were the queues at manchester airport . Thomas cook need to stop checking all there flights in on one big queue,Then asking customers if they want to pay 10.00 per passenger to check in quicker . Just another way of making money.

Room Tip: higher rooms have a smaller balcony .
2  Thank diane m

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review and are glad that apart from the issue mentioned above everything else was fine. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed at the hotel and everything was excellent.

We hope to see you next season,

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Rachel from Ireland...We stayed for a week on 14th july with our 14 year old daughter. The room was beautiful, spacious and exceptionally clean. The views from the hotel were amazing, especially at sunset. We were in block 1, 6th floor, overlooking the pool.
We went half board and the selection of food was great !!!. all nclusive would be better if were going to spend all your time in the hotel, the hotel will do a packed lunch if you are going out for the day.
The hotel is placed half way between puerto rico and amadores beach, both 10/15 mins walk along a promenade accessed by a glass elevator in the hotel or a taxi ride for 3 euro.
Entertainment was very good, we didnt have small children but play area and kids entertainment were great.
Amadores beach was beautiful white sand and blue sea.
This hotel has something for everyone !!!!
All staff were pleasent and helpful, nothing was too much bother.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, either looking over the sea or pool, blocks 1&2 over look the pools, the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rachel M
GLORIA_TH, Public Relations Manager at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2016

Dear Rachel,

We are glad that we have met your expectations "This hotel has something for everyone !!!! All staff were pleasent and helpful, nothing was too much bother." and it will be an honour to welcome you in a near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Rico
#17 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Cordial Mogan Playa
Cordial Mogan Playa
#1 of 2 in Puerto de Mogan

Been to Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel? Share your experiences!