“Excellent !”

Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We have just spent an excellent week in this hotel.
Everything was really good : the weather, the location, the animation, the pools, the thalasso, the meals...
The staff is really professionnal and very friendly !
But the exceptionnal high view on the ocean from every parts of the hotel is the thing the most incredible !
It was the seventh time we went in this hotel and there will sure be a eighth time.

2  Thank Pierre S
GLORIA_TH, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing GLORIA Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel**** and the time that you have spent sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We would like to thank you for your loyalty and trust over the past years. I am very delighted to know that our team could fulfil your expectations and you enjoyed your stay.

We are absolutely looking forward seeing you one more time on our sunny island

Glad Regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2013

This was our second stay at the Gloria Palace and we enjoyed it thoroughly. We went Sept 2012 and April 2013. It's a large hotel and has one busy pool area and one quieter pool area, both overlooking the sea. It’s also very close to both Puerto Rico beach and Amadores beach both 5 minutes’ walk either way. Amadores beach is particularly beautiful. There are plenty of sun beds /umbrellas and tables by the pool.
We went all inclusive this year as it seemed good value. Unfortunately "all in" doesn’t include ice creams and most snacks from the pool bars or use of the indoor pool /gym. The cost of the gym is also very expensive at 8 euro p/day then 23 euro for use of the treatment pools. I wouldn’t mind paying a rate but thought they were very expensive.
The hotel rooms and general areas are very clean and well looked after. The T.V has alot of channels some English some German and Spanish, but they are ancient.
The all in meals are buffets as you would expect and breakfast is very good. Lunch and dinner could be improved though. There isn’t really any difference day to day or even between what’s on for dinner or lunch. Dinner could also be made a bit more atmospheric with music or candles. In saying that though the food on offer is nice with lots of salads and fruit so you won’t go hungry!

The all in wine and beer are good and the cocktails are really good!

As I mentioned the location is fab and the view from the hotel are great. It’s a short 10 minute walk to the commercial centre which is handy if you want some buzzy nightlife as the hotel night-time entertainment isn’t very good and all bars stop serving at 11.30pm. It turns into a bit of a ghost town then.

Most of the staff are very nice and friendly. Of all the staff the only ones that would need improvement are the restaurant waiting staff, they are a little disinterested and it’s very hard to get attention to get a drink. If you are lucky getting a table on the balcony to enjoy your dinner is a real treat.

I would recommend the hotel and will definitely return myself.

3  Thank AoifeG01
GLORIA_TH, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2016

Dear Guest,

We take into account every single comment from our guests and appreciate your suggestions about the lunch and dinner.

It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you are especially commenting on the excellent staff and that you recommend the area.

We hope to see you soon at GLORIA

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Just back from a short week break with friends for a birthday celebration. this is not our first time their but it is for our friends. they were blow away by the hotel. amazing. staff & service was excellent. apart from the weather, first two days were very over casted.

We will be all back very shortly

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure for us to know you enjoyed your stay in Gloria Palace. Our team is looking forward to make your holiday memorable next time as well!

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel two times and I love the hotel. It is beautiful and charming. I almost never left the hotel on my stay.
We had all inclusive and the food was great. There was alot of food to choose from.
I loved all the activeties (competitions), I never got bored.
Every evening there where different great shows.
The spa was amazing.
Last but not least the hotel has an amazing view.
I will definately recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would recomend the luxury rooms with spa.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your opinion. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Animation Programme and Spa Procedures.

We hope to see you soon at GLORIA

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Have just returned from my first vacation at this hotel and it wont be my last. Its location is just perfect, . 250mtrs from Puerto Rico beach and 750mtrs from Amadores Beach. Both beaches can be reached by an enjoyable 5 - 10 minute walk along the Paseo Mritimo located right in front of the hotel. There were taxi's directly outside the hotel to take you into Puerto Rico Central in the evening if you want at a cost of 2.95.The quality and assortment of the food is very good, My only gripe would be the Entertainment finishes at 10.30pm every night.

Room Tip: I stayed in Block 3 floor 6. All rooms have a sea view but we were situated under the pool area and...

Dear Guest,

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed the convenience of our hotel´s location. Thank you for your opinion about the entertainment shows, and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 April 2013

very good hotel.nothing bad to say.good brekfast.free wifi.2 outside pool area and one on inside.short walking to amadores and puerto pico beach.no need to drive taxi all the time like meny other hotel on puerto rico.

Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for a nice comment and we are waiting for you to come next time.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I use trip advisor a lot and really depend on it when it comes to booking a holiday so I hope this review is fair and honest.

My partner and I (both in our early 30’s) stayed at the Gloria Palace Amadores for 1 week In April. We stayed half board which was more than sufficient. If you did fancy lunch there are snackbars in the hotel- however, I would advise against these because the food was quite expensive for what it was. Hamburgers/pizza etc. They looked pretty plain and uninspiring.

The breakfast offered a wide variety, fruit, yogurts, cereals, pancakes, freshly cooked bacon and sausage, fried eggs, and also items such as scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, cheese and cold meats. Continental style breakfast, croissants, etc were also available. Coffee/Tea and fruit juice is also provided at no extra cost.

The dinner food was a real mixture of food!- you could literally stuff yourself silly. (we did) Foods including steak, chicken, fish, sausages, seafood. Each night they also had a different theme and it was fun guessing what the next day would be! You won’t go hungry that’s for sure, you can have as much or as little as you fancy.
My only complaint would be that sometimes the food was luke warm and towards the end of my holiday I did feel it was all a bit samey samey. This includes the deserts which was the same choices everynight. Saying this though, there was a selection of about 8 to choose from not including ice cream! So its fine-don’t worry!!!
A shame water wasn’t included with your meal. A small glass bottle of water was 2.5 euros. ( a large plastic one cost 2.5 but you could not have these in the restaurant)
The restaurant did feel a little chaotic at times, but overall it was fine. If you like a more intimate dinner and not of that in a busy area have a table outside. ( see tips )
You can upgrade to full board or all inclusive once there should you wish too. (For all inclusive it was 26 euros per person per day…..too much unless you drink a lot!)

The rooms were great!!!!- very spacious with the most amazing and very private balconies overlooking the sea ( we stayed in Block 3) I think block 1 and 2 is better suited to you if you have children as you wouldn’t have far to go to get to the pools.
There is a mini fridge in your room, enough for a few bottles of water. The cleanliness of the room was superb and it was cleaned daily if you wanted. Towels are provided and lovely little gifts of chocolates were left in the room.
No complaints there. We loved our room and the location for us was perfect.

The local area was ok, Puerto Rico was…a little tacky. Ok for a quick walk around but that’s about it. Much better suited to the younger clientele (under 25’s) which is surprising as most people there seemed to be over this age! We did get stopped by timeshare sellers and even when you said no they continued to harass us to the point of being rude. 2 from Liverpool set upon me one day whilst I was alone and I felt quite intimidated. The tourist board need to sort this out. But don’t let this put you off. If you are fine with staying in the hotel most of the time (we normally aren’t that kind of person, but the hotel is so large and nice it was enjoyable to stay in! )
I was very glad we were staying at such a nice hotel, because the restaurants looked cheap and cheerful, a shame there wasn’t more authentic Spanish looking restaurants. I have no idea what the food was like, but we were glad we had our food sorted for us.

The beach at Puerto Rico is sandy, but the water is dirty looking! – most likely due to the fact the harbour is next to it. The beach at Amadores was STUNNING the water is so clear and turquoise. The sand is a little bit more peppley but not stoney so its still sandyish and fine to walk barefoot on. From the hotel it takes 5 mins to get to Puerto Rico Beach and 15 to Amadores….worth the extra walking time and the walk is along the coastal path away from any roads so its fine and safe to walk even with children.
The cost of 2 sunbeds and a parasol was 10 euros, quite expensive, but for one or 2 days worth it. The nearby toilet is 50cent, if you dont have it then they will not let you use it!

Gripes/Complaints

Drinks was too expensive!!!! … a small plastic cup of vodka and orange was 7.5euros!....a Malibu and Coke 7.5euros a Pina Colada 7.5euros…you see my point. I know it’s a nice hotel but seriously far too costly.

Water 2.50euros, 2.10euros more expensive more expensive than the local shop!

If you wanted a sunbed in a specific area you needed to reserve it by 7.30am (despite there being signs saying please don’t, people did, I did I wont lie because I wanted to spend all day there and it was important I wasn’t too near the pool or bar because I hate noise and getting splashed!. But if you are not fussed where you go there are plenty to go around!!!

I did notice glass a few times on the floor near the snack bars…so wear shoes even if you are getting an ice cream. I did mention this to the waiters, but they looked at me bemused and it still happened on a few more occasions.

Twice I asked for help in the restaurants and the waiters said they would come back to me but never returned!....once all I needed was cutlery and asked him to tell me where it was so I could get it myself, he said he would get it so I waited whilst my food got cold and then gave up and went looking for some myself…a little annoying.

We were woken up at 5.30am one morning and when I rang reception to enquire what the noise was, I felt fobbed off and was told rather abruptly that a water pipe was leaking and that they had men coming to look at it…it would have been nice to have been offered some form of compensation for this. The noise continued until 6.30am and it was LOUD.

On arrival we was offered a glass of champagne or orange juice……but this never came and after a few minutes we felt silly standing there and went to our room. Don’t offer is it if you aren’t going to give it!!- not the greatest first impression. I did see others receive it though, so we felt a little miffed.

Internet was expensive 1euro for 10 mins

Top tips are

Go for dinner before 7.15pm ( ISH) and you can get a table outside without too much of a wait, beyond this time you can wait for upto 30 minutes. Get a drink on the waiting tables and enjoy the sea views is my advice if you prefer a outside table. * Just one thing though, if there is a queue watch out for jumpers in!...some nationalities don’t seem to respect queues and we saw this happen twice which the waiters should address but didn’t. It would be a lot simpler if they took your name down so they knew who was first!

Don’t go to the pharmacy in the hotel. Go to the local supermarket/pharmacy. If you need further sun cream buy it from Spar as its much cheaper there ( we made this mistake and it cost us 6 euros extra) The shop assistants were pushy and not very helpful when we went in for sunburn. She tried to sell us a cream for 25euros that we managed to get in town for over half that price.

Don’t buy water from the hotel, I made this mistake on my first day and it cost me 7.5 euros for 3 large bottles, it cost me 1.20 euros the next day from Spar. You could even get a taxi back from Spar and it still would work out cheaper!

Ask for a room in block 3 or 4 if you want a quiet room, 1 and 2 overlooks the pool and is better suited to those who like to be sociable. All rooms have a sea view.

There are 2 main pools and one small childs pool. 1 is quiet and next to the nudist section. 1 is for activities (you can use inflatable’s in this pool, play games etc) If you do have small children or like to jump in and splash etc please don’t use the quiet pool. It’s not fair on those who want total peace and the other pool is designed specifically for fun/children in mind.

Overall I would definitely go back to the Gloria Palace for one week. Two weeks and I might get a little bored. ( But if you are older then I think you would be fine!)
The hotel is by far the best we have stayed in within Europe. The staff are mostly friendly and helpful. David who tended to be the outside waiter was excellent. The receptionists were all very professional and fluent in many languages which were impressive.
The food was plentiful and tasty and caters for many.
It’s a beautiful hotel and I felt that for what we paid £ 500 each, it was a fantastic price. We are going there again next spring, because it’s ideal for winter sun. But for our main summer holiday we prefer Greece as we feel it has more character and we like to go out in the evenings to local authentic tavernas etc

Room Tip: Go to the local supermarket ( Spar ) and srock up on water there....its 2.5 euros for a large plasti...
6  Thank Miss T

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your suggestions about the restaurant. We appreciate your review, which is the best way to be aware of details that makes the difference and helps us to improve the service and maintain the standards.

We take into account every single comment from our guests and appreciate your suggestions about the repetitive food.

Also we would like to thank you for your tips for other guests and detailed description of hotel rooms and local area nearby the hotel.

We are definitely looking forward seeing you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Rico
#17 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Cordial Mogan Playa
Cordial Mogan Playa
#1 of 2 in Puerto de Mogan

Been to Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel? Share your experiences!