This hotel came recommended to us from friends who had visited many times. We (2 couples) took a 10 day break here, which was also our first time in Gran Canaria. Previous hotel comments on this site rated this as great and we were all very much looking forward to the experience.
The hotel has a spectacular view of the sea and the hotel itself does much to make your holiday a very enjoyable experience. The rooms are very large, well equipped each with great views of the ocean.
Unfortunately we discovered that our rooms were directly below where the beer barrels are changed/kept at the reception floor pool bar area, and these barrels are moved around after the bar closes - this was around 01:00 hours - so be prepared to be awakened and if you have children you do not want these rooms - level 1 block 4.
The staff are all very helpful and fun, especially the restaurant and bar staff, the evening entertainment is all very well organized and enjoyable, although we felt the kids club show went on too long and often ended around 21:00 hours
There are however a few comments I would add which detract from the overall rating of the hotel and I use our previous "all inclusive" holidays within Europe as a benchmark.
Firstly upon arrival after a flight delay of one hour we arrived at the hotel at 23:30 hours, there was confusion at reception with our room allocation as there were 4 of us - two married couples each with their own room - but they had put three adults into one room and one adult into another, this seemed to take an age to fix, especially as the rooms were next door to each other. We were even asked if the rooms were for the two men and the two women, clearly the surnames would have given a clue to the booking.
When this was sorted out and each couple settled into their room we then discovered that the all inclusive aspect finishes at 23:30 hours so any coffee, drinks or food would cost extra - even though this was the first night and we already had "used" the all inclusive aspect for this night. We took a coffee and retired to our rooms, hoping the holiday would be better for the rest of the period.
The hotel and resorts surrounding it are all very good and the walkway along the coast provides excellent opportunity for a stroll either day or night.
We found that the food was warm but not hot unless you took the cooked meat or fish directly from the chefs. No lids are used to cover food on display so vegetables cool quickly.
Also the hotel indicated that the restaurant requires men to wear long trousers for evening dinner, and we dressed to accommodate this requirement which is common in good quality hotel restaurants throughout the world, unfortunately this hotel does not invoke this rule even though it is clearly advertised before entering the restaurant, with many men wearing shorts and sandals/flip flops. Our previous year in Cyprus men were turned away from the restaurant until properly dressed as per hotel requirements i.e. long trousers, so we considered if it is a requirement then it needs to be adopted.
Furthermore we tried to arrange a late check out from the room as our flight pick up was 18:00 hours. On previous holidays this has never been a problem with some hotels charging extra and some not. This hotel will not even consider a late check out until the morning that you leave and then there is an additional cost, which is reasonable but because of the initial problem at reception regarding three persons in one room and one in another when we arrived and which we thought was sorted out, getting a late check out because of this error proved problematic and time consuming. It was eventually arranged after around 15 minutes but then we were informed that the all inclusive aspect to our stay ended at 12:00 noon. We felt a little let down by this as we had lost the first day due to the delay in arrival, and we would not get lunch without an additional cost. . When returning to the room after 12:00 and having arranged the late check out our room cards did not work so it was back to reception to have them reactivated.
Overall the hotel is very good, but we agreed that we would not return.
Thankfully these problems did not effect the overall enjoyment of a holiday in Gran Canaria.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located between the beaches of Puerto Rico and Amadores, Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel is built on a cliff top and integrated into the landscape, providing spectacular views over the ocean from all parts of the hotel. Built in 2004, the hotel boasts one of Europe's best equipped thalassotherapy centres. In just a few years, the elegant surroundings and top class, friendly service have made it one of the most popular hotels on the Island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp and LoveHolidays so you can book your Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso And Hotel
- Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria
- Gloria Palace Amadoresthalasso Hotel
- Gloria Palace Amadoresthalasso Mogan
- Hotel Gloria Palace Amadores
- Amadores Gloria Palace
- Gloria Palace Puerto Rico