“Huge rooms, great location & beautiful views” 4 of 5 bubbles

Marina Suites
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Huge rooms, great location & beautiful views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend last year for our first holiday together. Marina Suites is fantastic for couples!

One of my favourite things about the hotel is the infinity pool. It is really romantic, and boasts spectacular views. Our room overlooked the street and the marina out front of the hotel, which was lovely to look at when we sat on our balcony of an evening.

We were gobsmacked by the size of the rooms, considering there was only the two of us, it was like we had bought an apartment over there! We couldn't really capture the true size of it in pictures or video, so I suggest booking a room and taking a look for yourself :)

The location is good, perhaps a 10 minute walk from the beach & 15-20 mins from the main strip - however we stayed away from that area as it wasn't very nice.

I admit we did not eat at the hotel, and the reason I have rated the cleanliness down is that we found some ants in our little kitchen area. We told the reception staff, but I can only assume they looked into it after we left as they did not look whilst we were there.

Overall, if I could pick up this hotel and drop it anywhere I would stay there for most holidays!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MelissaCBee
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Melissa,

we are really glad to read you liked our rooms and had a great stay at Marina Suites! Thank you very much for all your comments and for recommending us to other travelers!

We hope to see you and your boyfriend back at Marina Suites!

Dara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

MS is a nice hotel that offers decent sized rooms with a nice view of the sea (if you can get a sunbed), however it's not all positive....sun beds - they need more as it was always overcrowded. Pillows - you have to rent pillows to get a decent ones??? Towels you have to pay to change??? The beds are rock hard!? Entertainment - well they shouldnt be allowed to call it that as it was so awful!!! Food ok and staff generally helpful. Watch out on the drinks as they are not cheap.

Room Tip: Tell them your bed is rock hard and they may add a soft mattress. Request a high up room.
2 Thank chris p
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Chris,

thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Marina Suites. We are sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations.. We are considering all your comments which always help us to improve our services.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Overall this is a lovely hotel. Clean, nice views, beautiful pool, decent food. I've only given it 3.5 stars because of some minor issues with the room and a debate I had with the staff, which I discuss lower down. First, we were surprised that there was very little information provided in the room about the hotel's services or the local area. For example, it wasn't until three days into our trip that we learned you could ask for pool towels at reception. There was also no pasta strainer in the kitchenette (kind of basic?) and no non-metal utensils to use with the non-stick frying pan provided. However, these are relatively minor issues. The bigger problem was when I got into a debate with the staff over whether my 12-year-old son is a child or an adult. The hotel charges a lower price for meals for children, which it defines as 0-12 years. My son is tall for his age and looks more like 14. We received the bill after one meal and realized they'd charged him the higher price. I asked the waiter about it, and he said that since my son was past his 12th birthday, that he was now an adult. When I disputed this (pointing out that you are 12 until your 13th birthday!), the waiter told me that 0-12 meant "up to 12". He eventually agreed reluctantly to give us the child rate. There were probably other meals we'd eaten at the hotel when we paid the adult rate for my son because I hadn't bothered to check, which still rankles. I wouldn't normally get so worked up about something like this, but it's just ludicrous. And it was the principle of paying more than we needed to. It caused my blood pressure to rise and upset me, marring what was otherwise a nice holiday. I would recommend Marina Suites in almost all other respects. For families with young children or teenagers I would imagine you'd have a perfect time. Just watch out if you have a 12-year-old!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 113, which is directly across from the Kids Club. It got kind of noisy sometimes w...
2 Thank Anne P
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Anne,

thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to read that your stay with us was a 3 of 5 due to the issue at our restaurant and wish to comment on your statements. Every hotel needs to establish an age for considering adults, and for us it means up 12. We consider children from 2 until 11(inclusive) but once the child is 12 years old, we consider him/her an adult. I'm sorry you disagree with us, but we need to establish a year and I'm sorry it was the age of your son.
We hope that beside this misunderstanding, we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back at Marina Suites.

West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I can only echo all the positive comments here about the Marina Suites - a great (quiet!) location in Puerto Rico, excellent customer service, clean rooms, great room service, lovely pool, friendly bar staff and a pretty decent evening buffet if you don't feel like venturing out (at least try to make it across the marina once to the Costa Mar Grill).

Warning: geeky bit..

There's the bonus of free wifi around the rooms, pool area and foyer, but it can struggle at peak times when your device will get a good connection, but is not allocated an IP (network) address so you can't do anything. This problem could probably be fixed by lowering the IP lease time from 1 day to, say, 1 hour to rapidly free up addresses allocated to phones, tablets etc. that have since gone off site with their owners, or by increasing the size of the room area subnet (it's currently a /24 subnet). Some people would pay good money for this consulting - how about this: I'll fix the network in return for a free one week stay for my family!!

The accommodation is not the cheapest in the area, but the Marina Suites are a few notches above the standard apartments in Puerto Rico, PLUS you don't get to hear any of the noise from the town night clubs.

TLDR; Not the cheapest, but a good price for what you get and really great staff.

PS: How about that network fix..?

Room Tip: Looking up at the suites from the front of the building, the leftmost front-facing rooms have a corn...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Linker3000,

thank you for all your positive words regarding the location, the pool, the cleanliness, our customer service and of course, our staff. Also thank you for your suggestion regarding the internet, we will pass your comments to our IT department.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Marina Suites! please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance!

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have just returned from spending a week in the Marina Suites. I had read every review before booking, mostly favourable, but some issues were raised on a few. We weren't disappointed with the hotel, the suites are very comfortable, spacious and well equipped. we had a suite on the 1st floor, which was great for the pool, we faced the marina and the views were still good , wonderful to sit on the balcony and watch the sun set, with a cold glass of wine, you could even have ice as the fridge has a small freezer compartment. What wasn't so good was the working boat yard, just under our balcony... which at times, not constantly, was very noisy! This was our only issue.. the beds weren't hard as rock as mentioned in some reviews and the pillows were fine. All staff were very welcoming and helpful. Paying for the towel deposit was per room, not per towel and was not an issue at all.

You do get what you pay for , the hotel is well positioned, well maintained and the pool, well is wonderful, what I didn't like is that people rushed out to put their towels on the sun beds, poor form that... but we went in March, so finding a sun bed was never an issue.. and the view out to sea well.............., fantastic!

Puerto Rico basin is a good area, nice and quiet, good places to eat, The Grill Costs Mar is worthy of its no 1 status and the wigwam bar is very good too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Red1301
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Red1301,

thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay at Marina Suites with other travelers. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for all your positive comments!
We hope to see you back soon on board!

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

After staying at this hotel a year ago in October we have booked to return again in June! This luxurious hotel is perfectly situated around a quiet harbour within a few minute walk from the beach and a row of cocktail bars and restaurants (highly recommend Wig Wam & La Cantina) The hotel itself is modern and clean with very spacious apartments. I would suggest booking a room over looking the harbour as it is nice to sit on the balcony while the sun sets. The hotel offers ultimate relaxation by the pool and also has hot tubs and a masseuse by the pool side. I normally enjoy spending my holidays at the beach, but this hotel is so perfect we opted to stay by the pool every day. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday this is your place. Looking forward to returning in the summer!

Room Tip: Over looking the harbour.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear BRKR37,

it is so nice to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Marina Suites and to know you have already booked again! Thank you for all your positive words, which we really appreciate!
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance for your next stay with us!

Looking forward to welcoming you back in June,

Warm regards,

Northamptonshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Loved this hotel the apartments were spacious with a lovely bathroom and large balcony. The view from our hotel room was amazing, we faced the pool and some rooms face the marina but it does not matter which side you are on as long as you are on one of the higher floors (floor 3 and above)

The staff are friendly and professional and the whole hotel is spotless. The pool area does get a little crowded especially around the children's pool which is to be expected. A few people put towels out to reserve favourite spots but not many; we never had a problem getting a sun bed.

We went self catering but we did try breakfast which was very good value for money and of good quality. We did not have an evening meal at the hotel but we did have a few lunches which were ok I felt the salads and sandwiches were excellent but there needs to be more choice and variety as it was getting a little boring in the second week of our stay. Cocktails in the bar were inconsistent in alcohol content and taste, I suggest the management put on some training for the staff.

I would highly recommend the hotel and plan to book again in September.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PPPNorthamptonshire
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear PPPNorthamptonshire,

we would like to thank for posting such a good review about your stay at Marina Suites on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and thank you for your suggestion regarding the cocktails, which we are considering.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in September. Please, do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Rico
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,859 reviews
Morasol Suites
Morasol Suites
#5 of 70 in Puerto Rico

Been to Marina Suites? Share your experiences!