Marina Suites
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our arrival came just as evening dinner was coming to a close and we were delighted to see that there was still plenty of choice and the food was up to standard, temperature wise etc. The EVENING DINNER WAS A HUGE HIGHLIGHT for myself and my partner, a different theme every night including Italian, Oriental, Mexican and steak with a great selection and very very pleasing. I'm sure everyone would find something to their taste. The breakfast was good, as good as it can be I suppose. We also had lunch a few times at the pool bar, the usual salads, burgers, pizzas and chicken and chip dishes, just enough choice to keep you happy and again a good standard. The staff in the restaurants were always a treat, especially at dinner. The hotel bar, which seemed to be open tea time while late, was very relaxed.
Our room was 111, over the reception looking to the harbour, we didn't request any room unlike many others but still had a PRETTY NICE VIEW, nice to sit out early evening when the sun reached it. A litre bottle of water was in our room on arrival, thoughtful. And other touches such as the kitchen facilities were useful. The bed and the pillow weren't the comfiest in the world but still good enough.
Like other reviewers point out the pool area is quite cramped but it's clear the hotel are just making use of the space they have there. The pool is amazing, overlooking the sea and the chairs on the decking over the rocks are a nice touch. Many beds are reserved but I was out for 9-10am and always found a good spot, in my opinion if arriving much later than that I'd expect to struggle for a bed, but no it's not nice when they are reserved an unused all day long. The seperate jacuzzi area, 2 jaccuzi's, with beds and small plants made it very private, much quieter than the pool a times too.
If I had to moan about the hotel which doesn't come natural after the stay we've just had, the shower wasn't the best, simply the way it sprayed was quite uncomfortable, the temperature wasn't a problem. As pointed out already, the cleaners can tend to leave the bedroom window open and on one occasion our patio door after their visit, rather strange and unnecessary. 9/10 for cleanliness of the rooms, very minor like smears on glass surfaces. The reception staff were welcoming and efficient but could have gave a bit more in terms of politeness and information etc. The charge for the safe is quite disappointing, I've always thought a 4 star hotel should have free use of the safe.
Puerto Rico itself wouldn't be for everyone. The europa centre, around a 15 minute walk where the main shops/bars/restaurants are, was enjoyable for us but you do have to try a few places before you find your favourites. We were there for the opener of the world cup and it was a really good atmosphere. The Sun Spot and The Outbacks I think it was, both close to each other on the third floor towards the back were small, friendly, cheap bars. The pestering from restaurants can be quite an annoyance. There are a few bars closer to the hotel that impressed us, the small cocktail bar across the road, and Charlie'z, further round the beach on the front road, alongside a few very good restaurants, ate at one for dinner but otherwise the hotel was more than good enough, we stayed half board.
Marina suites has the BEST LOCATION, couple of supermarkets to choose from, minutes away. Puerto Rico beach is just a five minute walk but Amadores beach, a 25 minute walk was much much nicer, and the walk itself was comfortable, right along the front of the cliff faces.
If we were to return to Gran Canaria, which is likely, we will 100% be returning to the Marina Suite's.

Room Tip: Try those evening meals!
3  Thank BLee94
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear BLee94,

Thank you for sharing with us your review about your recent stay at Marina Suites.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed our restaurant and its food. For us is really important to know you had a great experience at Marina Suites.

We hope to see you soon!

Best Regards from the sunny Puerto Rico,

Noemi

Write a ReviewReviews (3,320)

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I really can't praise this hotel enough. We booked our holiday way back in October and couldn't wait to get there, we opted for self-catering as we like to eat out when away and requested a sea view. When we arrived we were welcomed warmly, the staff are the friendliest and most helpful we have ever encountered, and we received a beautiful third level room facing the pool and sea area. I've noticed a few comments about the noise of the Marina but this honestly was not a problem for us, there was slight humming in the morning but it does not interrupt sleep, you can't hear a thing until you go to the balcony and even then it's not loud.

The room itself was absolutely stunning, so spacious and luxurious. The living area is huge and all amenities imaginable are available - toaster, hob, coffee maker, pots and pans and more cutlery and glasses than most other accommodations. There is sufficient wardrobe space and a safe that can be rented for the duration of the stay. The bathroom is beautiful and luckily has a bath and shower - unfortunately most only have one or the other. There's a hairdryer and toiletries waiting in the room as well as a complimentary large bottle of water. The hotel offers so many other services and are pleased to help with any issues you may have - we heard other couples requesting beach towels for the week etc. For a couple who may prefer to stay within the complex each night there is an option to rent a DVD player for 5e a day - all movies are free thereafter.

While we didn't avail of the restaurant during our stay, we ate multiple times at the poolside bar which was so relaxing and well laid out you could easily spend your days there. The staff are lovely and the food is great quality - definitely try a classic burger! There is so much space by the pool it somehow manages to avoid that crowded can't find a lounger situation, there's three different sections of loungers - sheltered and private loungers nearer the hotel, couches beside the bar and then the loungers by the stunning infinity pool.

The location of the hotel is one of the only downsides, although I wouldn't ever let this stop me going back. The journey time from the airport to the hotel is a good 40 mins - not counting the time it takes when dropping everyone else off at their hotels. The shopping centre - where all the restaurants and clubs are - is about a 15 minute walk away, but the taxis are surprisingly cheap, a standard fare from the hotel to the centre was 2.50e.

I really can't mention a negative thing about this hotel. Everything was absolutely beautiful, the view was spectacular and you may as well be staying in a 5* hotel with the excellent service. I have no doubt Marina Suites will be the only place I stay during any future visits to Puerto Rico.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LilMalteaser

Dear LilMalteaser,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor readers.

We are glad to read your positive comments about our service, staff and facilities. This encourage us everyday to continue focusing on guest satisfaction.

Thank you for choosing Marina Suites, we are pleased to know you will come back! We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Warm Regards from the sunny Puerto Rico,

Noemi.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm going to write this review slightly different to how usually would otherwise I'll waffle on too much!!

The maid leaves the bedroom window and patio door open once she's finished cleaning... Not sure how my insurance company would feel about this should I ever have to make a claim? Maybe this should be looked at? We were out ALL day, that's a long time for someone to have access to our room. But I'm mainly referring to rooms on a lower level!

Towards the end of the holiday the pool bar staff started wondering around the pool to see if we wanted a drink fetching (no pressure though) this was a welcome touch because I'm not one to walk up to the bar in my bikini. Just wished they'd done it from the start.

Towels on sun beds - come on, up your game marina suites. I've stayed at many hotels that have the life guard remove left towels after 30 minutes. Rightly I'd rather him be on guard to save lives, but between him, the entertainment team, the bar staff & the massage corner something more can be done. Every day there were more beds with towels on than people. I watched so many families walk away disappointed. One day we sat next to 3 empty sun beds for FIVE hours and the owners NEVER returned once in that time, leaving towels for 5 hours and nothing being done about it?? Out of the 7 days holiday, we managed to get beds 5 of them. But this was only because we went down early and 'settled' for the beds which were left free in the shaded area - and this was out if the school holidays!

I emailed the hotel before we travelled to request a higher floor as per the 'tips' on trip advisor. They were very helpful in doing so and we were pleased to see that on our arrival we were allocated the top floor (floor 9)
Unfortunately what I don't think anyone has mentioned, is there are some sort of water tanks on the roof and EVERY night we were kept away with a flushing type of noise, constantly, over and over again. Like true Brits we suffered in silence as after a few wines we fell asleep. But I'd really think twice if you were considering a top floor room. We had 913.

Late check out, what late check out? This completely left us with a sour taste in our mouth. We requested on out first day that we keep our room until 6pm offering to pay whatever charge (we had our young daughter with us!) the reception guy said he'd put a request in but we'd have to return at 9am on the day of check out, fair enough, we've had to do that elsewhere before. My hubby went down at 8.45am to be told no. No ifs buts, question which room we were in, just no. He had no option but to book the courtesy room, just to be told that we'd only have 15 minutes in there. Seriously? 3 lots of showers, get dry, after sun, get dressed etc in 15 minutes? With a kid? It really spoilt our last day!

The bedrooms are very dark even with the lights on. We had no issues with wifi or the showers as stated in other reviews. We were self catering but had a few snacks in the two bars - they weren't anything special and not really worth the €30 odd it cost us. The view is very beautiful. Yes the lifts get very busy. Makes me laugh when some reviewers state that they're slow - no just busy, therefore you wait longer! Well equipped rooms etc. Bedroom floors easily get slippy so be careful. My daughters camp bed collapsed on my foot and broke my big toe. Cost me €20 to get some pain killers and spent the rest of the holiday in flat shoes!!

We upgraded to a select suite, receiving chocolates, wine, bathrobe (although only two as with the slippers!) and a DVD player, I think that was the only difference? From the photos id say that it probably wasn't worth the extra £126 we paid. Although having saying that when we used the courtesy room, the lounge area was a lot smaller?? (Room 101)

Overall the hotel is nice, would we go back? No. Did we have a good time? Yes. Was it worth the money? Well if you pay less than £1300 yes any more no. Would I recommend the hotel? Probably have to say yes because it appears to be the best out of a bad bunch. The 'location' of the hotels that rank higher on trip advisor aren't as desirable in my view. I don't know, I just felt as though they were doing us a favour by letting us stay there, rather than them acting like we were doing them one? If you've already booked, don't let my review put you off, but if you're thinking about booking id say wait for a good deal. We had quotes of around £2500 for self catering and I'd have been very disappointed had we paid that!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Myhusbandpays
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Myhusband,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

We have already taken into account all your suggestions, and we are sorry we did not meet all your expectations. Our sun beds policy is to remove towels after being 30 minutes empty, we will take actions in order to get this policy always applied.

Regarding the late check out, we always make our best to give it to our clients if there is availability. We are sorry that by your departure was not possible.

The advantages of our select suite are the ones you mentioned plus the confirmation of a room at higher floors.

Our apologies again for the inconvenience you had, we will consider your comment and we hope you give us another opportunity.

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a last minute break at the end of January and as The Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel was full we decided on The Marina Suites. Our room was on the 7th floor overlooking the marina, and although the rooms overlooking the sea got more sun through the day our views were great and there was always something to watch. The suite itself was very spacious for the two of us and of a good standard. However, there was an issue with the supply of hot water in the shower and although we did flag this at reception it continued to be temperamental. Breakfasts were great but we preferred to eat out in Puerto Rico in the evenings. We ate at the Beach Club on the other side of the beach which has lovely views and the waiting staff were very friendly. Food was good if a little more expensive than other places in the area. The other restaurant we ate at twice was literally next to the Marina Suites (can't recall the name now), and had an awning attached to it. It was more informal, cheaper and the tapas there along with the seafood was fantastic. We would definitely come back here again at this time of year as the weather was lovely (low 20's in January), and much cheaper than Majorca where we usually go at Easter! We loved the location of the Marina Suites and hope to return next January.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Fiona,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time writing your review of your last stay at Marina Suites.

For us is really important to know how it was your stay, we are delighted to know that you had a relaxing stay with us and that you loved our location. We are glad to inform you that the issue we had regarding the hot water has been already solved.

We hope to welcome you back next January and we would love to see you at our restaurant next time!

Best Regards from the sunny Puerto Rico,

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Hi ta people's, just arrived at the morina suites first impression is omg we have room 423 the balcony over looks the marina, I just want to spend the whole week looking at the boats coming and going lol. Not looking forward to the dreaded sunbed run lol had s few beers last night in the square really good night, c u l8rs lee + paula

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Redbrab

Dear Lee and Paula,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the readers of Tripadvisor and for choosing Marina Suites as your destination.

We are glad to read that your first impressions about Marina Suites are excellent and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay with us!!

If you need anything during your stay, please feel free to contact our staff.

Best Regards!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a glance of a few of the recent reviews, phew... thought I was OTT but yes the hotel is lovely but for the pillows, we stayed in 908 Deluxe Suite pillow on my side not comfortable and card on locker advertising a luxury pillow at extra charge, even though we booked a deluxe suite. Underblanket bulky and sheet uncomfortable as a result, especially after I got a little burned. Airconditioning, although they advertise air conditioning self control, this is a joke, no air conditioning worth mentioning, called reception a few times and on day three of holiday technician came and checked same but no change. We ensured we had all windows closed and left a card in power supply to keep the little bit of air conditioning circulating so that our suite might be a little cool, however, every evening when we arrived back in our room, the card was either pulled up so that power was disconnected or else the door to balcony was left ajar. I am sure staff are instructed to do this by management to cut on air con costs. Marble floor tiles which were beautiful and shiny four years ago were tired looking and scoffed and could do with a good shine. Did not spend much time at pool as knew from last time that you tend to me looking up people's butts i.e. loungers back to back very little space between them. I love the walk to Amadores beach, approx., 15/20 minutes beautiful vista. Listen everyone, we took a boat trip 20 minutes to Mogan, it is like paradise known as "little Venice". Beautiful designer clothes and buildings etc., are so beautiful, great integrity regarding the buildings, architect must be very proud. Oh, no tissues in hotel bathroom, no usual soap at hand basin, shower gel not changed and very low quality, all the extra touches to define a hotel claiming 3/4/5 star rank missing. Would not go back, a long flight without the luxury I had anticipated, air conditioning was the most frustrating as did not sleep well as result. Think I will go to the Lakeside Hotel in Villamoura next year.

Room Tip: Go for higher floor and a problem if you are overlooking the marina is the constant humming of machi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Lilian,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

We are really sorry for not meeting your expectations. We have already taken into account all your comments in order to improve our services.

We hope to have the opportunity to see you back!

Our best regards from the sunny Puerto Rico,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just come back from Marina Suites.....what can i say,this Hotel,& its staff are superb.The views are stunning,overlooking the Marina & Ocean.The food was great.The rooms are very spacious...& spotless. We arrived at 11pm,missing dinner,but they had a Chinese meal sent up to our room....along with a bottle of wine ! Staff always smiling & curtious. I highly recommend this Hotel,& would book again.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor. We had room 911....great views of Ocean & Marina.
4  Thank ruski2014

Dear Ruski2014,

Thank you for all your positive comment regarding our rooms, food, view, staff and more.

We will pass on all your comments to our staff!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on board!

Warm Regards,

#1 of 2 in Puerto de Mogan
Hotel Riosol
Hotel Riosol
#17 of 67 in Puerto Rico

Been to Marina Suites? Share your experiences!