“Read all the reviews”

Apartamentos Palmera Mar
Ranked #34 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed 17 August 2012

On arrival, and as noted by other reviews, my key was in an envelope attached to the window of the hotel reception. I'm a single traveller and never really know what to expect regarding my room. The room I was allocated was 004 - facing on to the pool. It was clean and as a base would have done nicely. The apartment had a kitchenette, a breakfast bar, a sofa and an additional single bed in this area as well; the bedroom had two single beds and wardrobes built in; and a bathroom.
During my first evening the room became alive [infested] with cockroaches - the biggest being at least 2 inches in length and the smallest the size of a finger nail. They were everywhere and I was forced to vacate the room at 2am; thankfully I was able to stay in my son's room for the rest of the evening. The hotel manager insisted the rooms are fumigated weekly and at first I thought I would have a fight on my hands to change rooms as he was not happy, saying there might have only been one or two cockroaches. After clearly explaining the situation the manger was helpful [probably because I stayed calm, telling him I had already contacted the travel company]; my room was changed to 810 - one of the newly refurbished rooms at the top and back of the hotel. I only saw one more small cockroach in my room on the last night of my stay.
My comment to the hotel would be - if you advertise rooms on the website showing a pool/sea view, that is what the guest should be given. If, on arrival, you are given a room that does not match the description, attempts to charge an additional 100 Euro for a 10 night stay for an upgrade to a room you had already paid for [as per the website description] is absolutely unacceptable!
There is no air con anywhere in the hotel, which is horrendous in the blistering heat both day and night in the height of season [August]. You can hire a fan which helps a little.
The pool was clean and a lovely cool down from the heat. The sun loungers get taken early with towels draped over them - some people don't occupy them for most of the day but will keep a towel on a lounger regardless - in the 7 days I never got a lounger, neither did the other 5 members of my party.
Lastly... the hill down from the hotel to the beach is steep - take care going down as the tiles can be slippery.
I would not stay here again. It was an experience... the cockroaches were enough to make this decision easy.

Room Tip: See my review about the poolside room and cockroaches... A higher room, keep your balcony door clos...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank fefige

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for 10 days, we had a room with a sea view.
The rooms were very clean, and nice receptionist.
They are the only good things I can say about this hotel.
There was no restaurant, entertainment, we had to walk down the very steep heel to get to the beach. No air conditioning, reception wasn't always open.
There were much nicer hotels in the neighbourhood.
We had to walk to a different hotel for breakfast and lunch.
Also, the shower was broken.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view, there were some rooms which didn't have any windows at all!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We spent 10 days recently at palmera mar apartments, we booked and paid for a room with large balcony and sea view, we were basically given a room in the basement, we had no view, no sun light at any time of the day so basically we went straight back to reception to ask what had happened. The man at reception said the it would be 20 euro per night for an upgrade but after a while of bisputing this he finally settled for 10 euro a night. rooms are basic but clean room service visited every 2nd day , and fresh towels every 3rd day(not fantasic with a young child). we had another member of the family arrive after us and she was given room by the pool, to say the room was moving with cockroaches would be an understatment!!! she had to vacate the room at 2 in the morning. Thankfully our room was fine.
Rooms are not air conditioned you have to rent a fan which just blows around hot air( again not good with a young child).
Stear clear of the lift as the break down at least twice a day,
Resturant at the hotel does lovely pizza, but thats about as far as it goes they have very limited menu and most of the time they are out of alot of things.
Hotel is placed on top of a mountain!! take taxi for 2.50 euros.
I would not stay at this hotel again as there are far nicer hotels near by with air conditioning & entertainment for the family.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We asked for a sea view as told to but got a view of a wall, we the asked about this the following morning and got told we had to upgrade to see the sea! For 80 euros,
The rooms were like sleeping in a sauna
Had to rent a fan for 30 euros
Pool was very nice,
Room was very clean,
Wouldnt go back

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Samnhari
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Me and my boyfriend went to palmera mar appartments for our first holiday in July 2012. We arrived at the appartments at about 11:30pm to our key in an envelope on the reception door and nobody around to ask questions! We went in to our room 801 to discover we had a bottom floor room with the view of a brick path, palm tree in a pot and the reception/shop, which we were appauled by considering we had paid an extra £60 each for sea view room with large patio balcony! We were starving and had to go to the hotel across the road to ask where we could get food and they told us to go to Europa shopping centre where we got pizza and chips! It's about a 5/10 min up hill walk. After 3 nights in the room we decided to upgrade our room to sea view which was €10 per night which wasn't bad! It was then that we realised how hot it actually was! The sun is directly on the appartments all day so at night it is so hot you can't sleep as there is no air con so is recommend buying a fan on first day! Appartments were very clean and tidy and looked presentable, beds made every day and towels changed. Don't go out and leave balcony doors/ windows open, even at night, although you may be top floor the people next to you can easily jump over as we nearly experienced!!!! Pool times are 9am-9pm which are fine, pool bar closes at 7pm. The restaurant on site was not open when we went. Everuthings a bit of a walk. I recommend a taxi to puerto Rico shopping centre it's about €5 but it's much bigger than Europa and there are more bars!! Be careful when out, we met a fair few dodgy people. Taxi to the Beach is €3 but you have to pay for loungers and umbrellas and lockers and the toilet!! All in all I had a lovely holiday and would definitely return to palmera mar again in the future only next time I would buy a fan!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank amy-ox
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel after mid-night and were worried about not getting checked in because of their reception hours, however this presented no issue to us as the reception had left an envelope with our name and a key on at the door. We took our passports for 'check-in' in the morning. The staff were friendly.

We booked a room with a pool and sea-view which was exactly what we got and the view of Amadores beach was nothing short of fantastic and far better than the view that we had staying at a different hotel in the same area. Very large terrace, with table and chairs. Full sun on terrace all day and stunning sunsets to watch at night. The apartment itself was in need of updating, i.e, walls could do with a lick of paint and couches could do with replacing, but all useful amenities were provided, coffee machine, toaster, big fridge/freezer, flat screen TV that you do not have to pay to watch. Comfy beds.

Apartment was very clean and maids were very nice and changed towels on both days that we stayed. No cockroaches or bugs whatsoever. The location is at the top of the hill, however we had a car so this was not a problem for us. The Europa centre was only a ten minute walk by foot and was good for a night out. We enjoyed several drinks at the Buddha bar. We also enjoyed playing the mini-golf, worth a go and only €4 entry/ €1 for beers.

The hotel swimming pool was brilliant, but the loungers did seem to get snapped up very quickly. I did see people rushing to get their towels out to reserve the loungers at 7.30, which did surprise me!

The hotel did have an on-site shop, which was handy, but they were charging €5.25 for a box of cereal!, don't mind paying tourist prices now and again but this was a bit much, considering you can get a box at a local supermarket for €2.
The few quibbles that we had from this hotel was that the terrace/bedroom window was very close to the stairs where people often walked past at night and hence we did not feel comfortable sleeping with the window open and the terrace was quite unprivate in this respect. There was also a dodgy plug in the bedroom, which you got a shock from if you touched!, had no problems with any of the other plugs though. Shower was okay, not great. No Aircon, but we were aware of that on booking.

Overall though, did have a great stay at this hotel, it provided excellent value for money. We wish we had booked a longer stay considering the quality of the other hotel that we had booked on the same trip!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, not near the lifts. Rooms on the 7th floor looked to have outstandin...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank querolasolespa
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just returned from a week in Gran Canaria and this place is fantastic! It has excellent views of the beach and is close enough to walk (or cheap in a taxi) the apartment we had was lovely and very clean. The staff here are really friendly and went out of there way to help us. Just up from hotel is a large complex full of shops and restaurants but i would recommened going down to the beach front for a meal or the Amardoras Beach Club which is Excellent and the cocktails there are pretty good :)
Would highly recommended this place and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple