“Puerto Plata better than 2 star rating”

Aparthotel Puerto Plata
Ranked #36 of 68 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Galway
“Puerto Plata better than 2 star rating”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We had a fab time here...whilst its only 2 star we couldn't fault the available facilities!
The staff were very friendly & helpful to our needs.The rooms were cleaned 5 out of 7 days which we thought was excellent! We weren't in a very modern room but at the end of the day we we had somewhere nice to sleep!
The restaurant Vista Grill was fantastic.Food was of a very high standard,we couldn't believe it.
The pool bar was equally very good too.Paul,Diego & Antonio were brilliant.The swimming pool was excellent,my 4yr old lived in it as did we.always clean & kept well.
Yes it is situated on 'the hill' but we walked it everyday pushing a buggy & it's not bad at all.I think from staying here it's a perfect location,you get the sun first thing in the morning until it disappears behind 'the hill' in the evening!€3 in a taxi to town...it's nothing!
Puerto Rico had recently opened Angry Birds Activity Park...fantastic fun for the little ones.We even enjoyed it! Abit expensive €15 per adult,€10 per child but once you paid & got your stamp you could go as many times during the day/night...opens 10am-10pm.Mc Donald's were doing vouchers buy 1 get 1 free...
There was a lovely 'community' feeling in Puerto Plata,under half of the rooms are privately owned so there is a regular clientele all the time...a great place to stay for families (that don't mind a nice walk to town).They have a fab supermarket on site which you can get almost anything in.A hairdresser/beautician is there also.
I'm not a snob I do like nice things but I have to say I loved my stay here & can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank RockyGalway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Basic apts but clean and fairly well equipped with toaster, kettle, two ring cooker and fridge. On a steep hill so unless you are fit or willing to pay taxis approx 3 euro to centre don't book. Pool area good but very busy not really big enough for the amount of rooms in the apts but there is another area further down with sunbeds but again not enough. Restuarant, snack bar, supermarket and hairdresser on site. If pushed would use again but there are a lot better apts in peurto rico.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sap3051
Ireland
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My Friend's Husband gave this as a birthday holiday for Her. She taught the Staff didn't Really care if you are Irish. They made some complaints about there room as there was Ants walking up & down the walls going into the skirting & they asked could they change there room. They were told no that the only room available you had to pay 30e more to move & they didn't have it. They weren't the only 1s who complained there was another Irish mother & daughter with the same problem & they were Ignored as well. In the end they asked for the bed sheets to be changed in which they handed the Sheets to them for us to do them ourselves. They were annoyed at how the Staff were good to other nationalities but for some reason very RUDE to us Irish .This Hotel ruined my Friend's Birthday Present. They will never return to this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda M

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Rico hotels

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 9 November 2013

we love puerto plata.me nd my frend stayed here in feb 2012 ,we loved it,staff very nice nd frendly,rooms are clean every day,nd the poool area is lovely nd food is fab..its so near the centre ..we had da best hoilday ever nd went bk again in feb dis year with other frends 2 clebrate my bday nd it was da best hols ever..we love puerto plata..hope 2 go bk again soon..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
arklow
Reviewed 6 November 2013

just back from a week in gran canaria and Puerto plata . I found the staff lovely and very helpful, our studio was cleaned every day except Sunday with a change of linen midweek. The only complaint I have was that there no mattresses on the sunbeds- most uncomfortable- Other than that we had a ball and we will be back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We have just arrived back from a week at the Puerto Plata. I was apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but I have to say, couldnt fault it. Jorge on reception couldnt have helped us more, and was happy to let us change apts when my partner asked for an open balcony.

The layout of the room is odd, but actually was perfect for the two of us. Would hate to have any more than two though. Kitchenette area was fine - 2 ring hob, kettle, toaster, fridge, with enough plates and cutlery, and everything worked perfectly. There is a tv, but we never switched it on. Plenty of plug points as well. There was only one night that I really felt uncomfortably hot, but the rest of the time was just about ok. If you dont like the heat I would suggest you get a fan.
There is a shop onsite which was surprisingly well stocked and not too expensive. It was only open from 8am to 2pm, but 4pm would have been better.
The bar above the pool served food as well. We ate there a couple of times, and it was ok. A bit on the expensive side, but handy if you didnt want to go down to the square. The staff were brilliant and very friendly. The pool bar was closed, but the bar above it was fine.
The pool was lush. A wee bit nippy when you first got in, but great for a cool down. The pool area is quite small, but there was always plenty of sunbeds and only once could we not get an umbrella. They are a bit uncomfortable but a purchase of 2 lilos on the first day solved that problem.
The location - I have a bad foot, and was very nervous about all the hills and steps, but each evening we walked down to the centre which was only a 10 min stroll, but got a taxi back up. €3 for a taxi is more than worth it.
I usually dont talk about the resort when I do a review of where we stay... but our favourite meal in the centre one night was in 'Happy Valley' Indian on the first floor. A great deal for 2.....

If you are looking for a wild, noisy party complex, this is not it... there are a lot of privately owned apartments, in which retirees stay, so it is quiet and easy going.

Now the big question.... would we stay here again. I probably would, but as faultless as it is, there was nothing "special" about it, and that may be the deciding factor for my partner.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank clarri
Ireland
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were in Puerto Plata in November and tried it again in April .A year ago I thought the place was on the up again but now we found it is on a very slippery slope almost at rock bottom. Do the powers that be not see the obvious problems with the place, from the moment you arrive at reception where the people there have no people skills whatsoever and are the most unaccommodating receptionists we have ever encountered.No bar, no restaurant and only a shop for a couple of hours per day. On our last visit the pool was not cleaned regularly and on occasions was quite a mess.What a shame for a place that was such hit, buzzing all the time with a staff that was second to none. We kept going back because we have friends some of whom are owners and they are shocked at the decline in the complex.The management clearly have no idea or experience on how to keep what was a very successful business.Won.t be back

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family