“Value for money on a low budget.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Altamadores
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Kent
“Value for money on a low budget.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have just returned from Altamores Apartments having spent a week there with seven other guys, it was for a 50th birthday party. Glad to say it is not a place to go for a drink up (as I said a 50th and not a 21st). The rooms are very basic, fortunately I had a twin and shared with a friend, next door three of the group were in together, most uncomfortable as the rooms are small. In my opinion there is "no way" these should be described as for four people. The sofas that double as beds are very hard and very uncomfortable. No air con, unless you want to hire one and pay for it, but there are ceiling fans. TV in the room, with a slot meter so you have to pay for it, how mean is that?.......There is a 2 ring stove, a small fridge freezer, no kettle so you have to boil water in a pot, not very safe when pouring. Bathrooms are tired, ours had a shower that was very good and powerful with lots of hot water. There are safes in the rooms, but again don't be surprised to have to pay for them. No WIFI, but guess what, yes you can pay for it at reception, only problem it is very unreliable, extremely slow and switches on and off as it pleases. The food area is quite small, but very very clean and staffed by very helpful smiley people who are exceptionally well trained. Unfortunately this area is also the entertainment area, so forget having a nice quiet meal as the entertainment host drowns out your conversations. The food was average to good, with one lousy meal which was Chinese night, so to be fair the food is quite ok. The food is always fresh and plenty of it. The kids there seemed to love it, lots of kiddie stuff like fish fingers, chicken nuggets etc. Breakfast is very good quality, but the T Bags are disgusting. There is a really nice mini mart on site, very well priced and well stocked for food, toiletries, sun creams, etc. The pool area is nice, lots of tables and beds and shade, so no problem there. The entertainment is below average in my opinion, but others in our group enjoyed it. It is very family friendly, as I say the staff are fantastic. Our room was kept very clean, sheets and towels changed as often as you want. This is not a place for couples, it has no romance what so ever, but for families and those on a budget it is good value. I have seen people complain about cockroaches, we saw a few, but this is a very hot warm climate and that is where cockroaches live. You wouldn't complain about elephants in Africa and India so why complain about cockroaches in warm places?...some people amaze me at times. Try the fishing trips from Puerto Rico beach, six of us went and it was a truly memorable day, great value and great fun. Drop me a line if you want to know anything else, and have a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room, we were in 114.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Fife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just back from this hotel complex. This is the first time I have ever returned to the same hotel. This is not because I haven't liked previous hotels around the world but because I find it difficult to fault this complex. Friends and I stayed here 2 years ago and had a great time back here for a week of October sunshine. We left just as the Scandinavian season was starting.
Food is still good with enough choice for everyone, you will always here someone complaining about the food no, matter where you go, but we found it very good. The self service bar is fantastic and it is always maintained and clean.
The rooms are spotless and a good size with good views. The staff are friendly and happy. The entertainer this season was Jamie G who did a great job keeping everyone entertained.
We always ate at the hotel and sometimes went into town later on for a few drinks - although downtown drinks can be expensive.
The hotel is near the top of Puerto Rico, almost as high as the Europa Centre but there is a free bus service which is frequent or a taxi is really, really cheap.
I wouldn't rule out staying here a third time purely for the value.

Room Tip: Rooms all tend to face the same direction and all very similar.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Willparker
Fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Just back after eleven night stay. Overall a nice place and value for money. Jamie G was fantastic and his quizzes really made your brain work overtime. Had a very successful time at the bingo with four wins, three of which were really good. The evening entertainment acts were excellent with perhaps only a couple being okay. Food was fine - ample choice. Themed nights were really good and the restaurant/bar staff work really hard and are very friendly. Food replenished and tables cleared continuously. If you needed anything you only had to ask. Help yourself bar was really good. Never had to wait once for a drink. No fighting for sun beds as there were ample available at any time of the day. This may be due to the time of year but you are not allowed to put towels on sun beds until 9.00am. Our room had a nice view to Amadores beach and was at the front of the hotel which was good as it was very quiet even though it faced the main road there was hardly any traffic. It was also very close to the restaurant/pool. There is no air conditioning but the ceiling fans did an ample job of keeping you cool during the night. The only negative regarding the rooms would be that they could do with a bit of a freshening up with a coat of paint and perhaps re-grouting the tiles in the bathroom but overall they were clean. Our sheets were changed on our eighth day and the towels replaced every day but one and again the cleaning staff were friendly and hard working. The hotel location is on a hill but within walking distance of the beach at the bottom and the Europa Centre at the top. Not a problem if you are fit and enjoy a walk but taxis are available and very reasonably priced. The coastal walk into Peurto Rico itself was lovely and took around 40 minutes. Didn't see one cockroach or ant at any time! Overall we had a brilliant time and would go back. As mentioned above Jamie G is brilliant.

2 Thank Nikalous
Yarm, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews which seemed from what I read a very good place to stay. Location of the hotel for me was perfect. We had room 210 at the front of the hotel, lovely views of sunrise, sunset and our balcony was a nice quiet place to sit and chill. Pool area plenty of sun loungers at any time of day. The food from my point of view was just ok, breakfast and lunch we managed to find something to our liking. We went out most nights for our evening meal but did decide to stay in to try the food one night BIG mistake!! It was Italian night although the food looked nice enough until we tried to eat it very very salty so decided to leave it and made do with bread rolls. Self service bar was a good idea and was great to use through the day. The staff all work very hard and long hours so deserve a mention. Our opinion was that the hotel was ok for the day time but night time you did need to go out and have a nice meal. We went to Las Farolas in Puerto Rico Commercial Centre a couple of nights and the steaks were to die for!! 2 flambé sirloins with a choice of potatoes, sauces, salad and veg half bottle of red wine, 3 beers a large glass of red and 1 dessert 43 euros BARGAIN!!! I don't think I would return to Altamadores as its not really for us, but there were plenty of other people there that seemed to really enjoy it and who would return.

1 Thank katzombie69
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I always look on here upon booking a holiday, And I know myself you always get the moaners, but what I will say is the truth. After booking a holiday here I couldn't wait to get there as hotel on photos looks wonderful, And the majority of the views I have read are also good too. For a start I never book anything below four star BUT after seeing photos of this hotel it looked a 4 star standard although it was only a three. There is no air conditioning throughout the hotel which you really do need there was two fans one in the living room one in the bedroom which obviously just circulated the warm air. The sheets didn't get changed our whole stay and the towels were only changed once which to me is unhygienic. Under the beds (in the bedroom) were rolling in dust couldn't of been cleaned in weeks! found tablets under the bed that had obviously been there from the previous holiday makers. I didn't expect to share my hotel room which cockroaches and ants. If you are going with children don't bother.. there is hardly any entertainment for them just the swimming pool ! there is no comfortable chairs to sit on daytime or evening I felt as though I was back at school in the canteen, plastic chairs! You can hire the air condition units for 50 euro per seven days which when you book all inclusive you expect to have air conditioned facilities. food... morning and night time luke warm average quality one night where food was enjoyable was the Chinese night the rest was CRAP!!!! Although I personally don't go on a holiday to watch tv based on the fact that again you pay for all inclusive you have to pay for the tv to even turn on. very dated hotel could do with kim and aggie and a revamp. all in all my rating is a 2*. please take my review on board to avoid disappointment! Jamie G is the only good thing about the hotel.

3 Thank louise s
Stranraer, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

returned back home on the 28th September after staying for 2 weeks all inclusive. first of all what a great host Jamie g is the guy was brilliant , tried his best to get everyone involved and I think that is what made the holiday so enjoyable. The food was great with something there for everybody, the staff behind the bar did a great job too and were so helpful and friendly. Our room was up above the basketball court , it was clean, comfortable and had a great view. We met some really nice people and enjoyed their company, we hope to go back the same time next year and hopefully the rest of the gang can make it too.

Alexandria, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Just back on the 26th September after staying for a week all inclusive. Food was good plentiful and there was always something you enjoyed. Themed nights every night from Chinese, Barbeque, Italian, etc. This property is only 3 stars but it was well worth the money we paid. There were only the two of us, we had a large room with sitting room, kitchenette, toilet with shower no bath, and large bedroom with plenty of storage, tv on pay as you go, but we never came on holiday to watch tv. The drink side of things were fantastic you helped yourself to beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks and you didn't have the problem of having to wait to be served, you also never had the problem of some hotels where you had to wait your turn for a drink while someone waited for a coffee. The coffee/tea were seperate from the bar and available all day, well till 11.00pm which was long enough. If you wanted more you could always go out, where dependant on where you went prices were reasonable.
The pool area and sunbeds were very relaxing pool was quite cool for the time of year but i still enjoyed it. Sunbeds were plentiful but i was informed that earlier in the year this was not so.But all i was concerned with was the here and now and will be back especially at this time of year, one of the most relaxing holidays i have had as both myself and my wife really enjoyed ourselves. It is the first all inclusive holiday i have been on and thats quite a lot, that i have stayed in most nights as the entertainment was as good as any i have seen outside, during the day Jamie the entertainment guy organised various pool side games from, pool, darts, basketball, football, tabletennis and quizes, there was also music being played from 11.00 am which we really enjoyed as it was our taste in music, it wasn't to loud either. Overall we rated this hotel highly, we have stayed in Puerto Rico before in 4 star accommodation and would rate this hotel alongside them especially the entertainment. We will come back maybe with the grand kids as i think they would enjoy it as well.

Brian & Kate ( Balloch, Scotland. )

Room Tip: as there were only 90 rooms i believe all of them were as good as the other dependant on what you we...
3 Thank Brian G