“Excellant, will be returning”
Review of Hotel Altamadores

Hotel Altamadores
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Sept 28th - Oct 12th
Just returned from 2 week holiday. What a fantastic place.
We have been going to Puerto Rico for 16 years and we normally stay in the companies other 2 properties. This year we decided on Altamadores, what a beautiful complex, so friendly, with everyone speaking to each other. The complex was spotlessly clean, everywhere.
The rooms where great, very spacious, we stayed in room 421, which had a large patio area overlooking the pool and the entertainment area. Anything you needed ie extra pillows or any problems, no matter how small, was attended to immediately. We found the food to be excellent, with lots of choice, never did we see any empty dishes on the buffet table. The restaurant and bar staff worked so hard they deserve a medal, you will never see a dirty table or glasses lying around, nothing was too much bother for them either, always happy to help and very friendly.
The self service bar is a fantastic idea, no queuing, and the choices were great. During your stay, try to pay a visit or two to the Happy feet spa ( on site ) which is run by the lovely Andrianna, where you can dip your feet and have them nibbled on by tiny wee fish, fantastic. You can also have a lovely pedicure, very relaxing. All this in a lovely relaxing atmosphere, helped along by Andrianna and her lovely friendliness, very chatty.
The entertainment was brilliant, something to suit everyone, kids and adults. Jamie G was the entertainment animator, what a fantastic entertainer he is, a true asset to the hotel, he couldn't do enough for his guests young or old. His quizzes are something else. We very much hope he will be returning next season, as the place would not be the same without him. We are hoping to add an extra week early in the season as well as our 2 weeks in September, we returned from this holiday felling so relaxed but also over weight from too much good food and drink.

Room Tip: 421 very good room, big patio area with sunbeds, tables and chairs, overlooking the pool/ entertainm...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Debbie F

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We flew with Ryanair and as much as I don't like them through past experiences we had a good flight there and back we were early both ways but to our annoyance our transfers both ways were pretty dire over 2 hours each way. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a not over happy man who apart from asking for our passports never said anything he gave us a sheet of paper with our room number and pointed to the lift this could have been done much better .
Found our room a bit dated but ok card entry does not work very well finally got in and used the key for the bedroom door for the rest of the week to lock up when going out a fairly well equipped kitchen fridge freezer toaster microwave but the thing we missed the most was the kettle but the place was clean and tidy bad points about the apartment the towels in the bathroom where not great I think the tea towel held more water and the beds are not changed all week. And pay TV is a bit dated as we don't watch TV on holiday this wasn't a problem but overall the apartment was spacious clean and well equipped. Food and drink were ok food rarely hot and you will always find something to eat beans in the soup vat cold and we only found the microwave on the last day
Staff very distant I think because of self service apart from please and thank you we didn't speak self service drinks seem to work no queues and the food and drink hall was clean and tidy.
The two pools the adult pool was ok but the same depth all round ok for me 6 ft and can swim but not for the wife 5 ft 4 non swimmer plenty of sun beds some could do with a good clean
There is a free bus shuttle every hour to the beach and Puerto Rico which is good as you are so high up we did walk down to the beach but no way was going to walk back up and if you miss the bus the cabs are very cheap and apart from the mini supermarket next door there's not anything outside the hotel except admire the great views Entertainment was better than nothing
Not a bad place for 3 star might make a good adults only hotel as there wasn't much for children to do

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen P
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Altamadores aparhotel in amadores Puerto Rico. It is four years since we last stayed there and this time we went with two other friends. A lot of the old faces have gone Jose and Giovanna are just two of them. There seems to be very few Spanish/Canarians still working there. The staff that work there now are very friendly and will help if they can with any problems. The rooms are cleaned to a very high standard and towels and bedding changed regulary. The hotel itself has been well maintained with some small changes since the last time we were there. There are a lot more sun beds available since the last time we stayed. The food although quite good has not really improved since we last stayed this may be due to budget restraints
I was a bit disappointed the the local bus which stopped at the hotel has been stopped this was very handy for going to the Europa centre, the beach and even in to Puerto Rico itself as the hotel is situated at the top of Amadores bay the omly alternative for anyone with mobility problems is a taxi.
What was really annoying has nothing to do with the hotel but with the travel operator Thomas Cook/Airtours. At the end of the holiday the transfer from the hotel to the airport was a nightmare. What is normally a 20-25 minute journey to the airport took over 2 hours with us going round in circles picking passengers up. While I appreciate you have to expect a couple of pickups on the way back I think 8 is a little over the top at on stop it took 10 mins to find out there was nobody to pick up. All in all we had a good holiday and would go back again however at the rate the tour operators are increasing prices to the Canary Islands it may be a while.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor There are only 4 at the oposite end to the pool offer spectacular views a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have just returned from a one week stay at the Altamadores from 9-16 October. I travelled with a friend and we flew with Ryan Air from East Midlands, flight on time and no problems. The Resort Hoppa transfer was a bit tedious and took 2 hours with many drop offs, we were last to get off the bus and if I go back to Puerto Rico again I will book a taxi.

We stayed in room 405 which was fine and clean. Shower had good water pressure. A kettle would be a great benefit but as I had already done my research I took my own travel kettle with me!

All outdoor areas were also kept clean so no problems there either. I think the self service bar is a cracking idea which works very well. Nobody appeared to be abuse it either! It clearly states that no glasses should be taken to the pool area so some adults obviously cannot read as I did hear the sound of breaking glass a few times.

Now the food, this was the problem area as far as I was concerned. Tinned carrots and frozen mixed veg are not what I expected, together with tinned fruit for dessert. Oh dear! It really was chips with everything, by the end of the week I was craving a jacket potato. You will never go hungry but it was like an advert for Iceland and I mean the shop not the country lol. The hotel serves profiteroles most nights which are put out frozen so we would put them In a bowl on the table whilst we ate our main course and then they were defrosted by the time we were ready for them! I would love to know what guests from other countries thought to the food, I can't say anyone looked thrilled with it.

The entertainment was not my cup of tea but plenty of people did sit and watch it. The highlight for me was the free bus at 10pm which dropped us at the Commercial Centre to go to the many bars. We would then get a taxi back for under 5 euros. The free bus runs every hour during the day to the centre or the Amadores beach.

When we got to the resort there was a notice board in the lobby and also one in the restaurant saying what the entertainment was for 2 weeks and showing the buffet theme each night but when Jamie the UK entertainment guy left on the Monday the boards came straight down and only a simple poster advertised what was on that evening.

With a 7am flight back to East Midlands our pick up time was 2.50am with the numerous pickups along the way. Once again the flight was on time.

This was my second visit to Puerto Rico, the first being in 2001, and I hope it won't be my last but I would not recommend this resort simply for the food!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed 19 October 2013

"You get that you pay for" is very apt for this complex. The good points - excellent idea to have a self service bar, no queues no mess, just go ahead and pour what you want as everything lined up on the bar , yes its plastic cups during the day around the pool but you can have as many as you wish, its non branded but you can find something you like! Pool area clean and spacious, always beds available and no reserving until 0900. Handy on site shop, quite cheap, sells the basics should you run out, as the Europa centre is good 20min walk away (great Irish bar in here, go see Gary & the Fiddler - great laugh), You can catch the hotel's free bus here also on its way down to the resort centre, runs every hour, we used it at 10pm daily to get down into Puerto Rico Commercial centre (brill) another good point are the rooms, we found it to be fine, yes its basic but who spends a lot of time in the room on holiday? we paid 20€ for a safe but got 10€ back, buttons were a bit dodgy but it did the job. Had our own sunbeds on terrace , so it was fine. ok now the bad points - our major gripe was the food, yes we didn't pay an awful lot to stay here, but still a little fresh fruit and veg wouldn't hurt? made me laugh when the on site shop sells fresh carrots, yet the buffet was ALWAYS tinned or frozen, blurgh! Each meal, regardless of theme, consisted of frozen chips, chicken nuggets, beefburgers, and frankfurter sausages. The other dishes on offer were nothing special, not presented well and tasted bland. BBQ night was ok, at least the food was actually cooked fresh outside, but anything else was luke warm and looked unappetising. Was very surprised on Italian night not to see any pizza! Desserts were the same every single meal, tinned fruit (peaches, pineapple, fruit cocktail), frozen gateaux, frozen profiteroles and ice cream. It just reminded me of a school canteen! So apart from that overall it was ok, we had a good time, enjoyed the very warm sun and probably drank our fair share of the bar, definitely returning to Puerto Rico just not this complex

Room Tip: rooms overlooking pool/bar/café will be noisy
1  Thank ilovepefkos
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have just returned from Altamores Apartments having spent a week there with seven other guys, it was for a 50th birthday party. Glad to say it is not a place to go for a drink up (as I said a 50th and not a 21st). The rooms are very basic, fortunately I had a twin and shared with a friend, next door three of the group were in together, most uncomfortable as the rooms are small. In my opinion there is "no way" these should be described as for four people. The sofas that double as beds are very hard and very uncomfortable. No air con, unless you want to hire one and pay for it, but there are ceiling fans. TV in the room, with a slot meter so you have to pay for it, how mean is that?.......There is a 2 ring stove, a small fridge freezer, no kettle so you have to boil water in a pot, not very safe when pouring. Bathrooms are tired, ours had a shower that was very good and powerful with lots of hot water. There are safes in the rooms, but again don't be surprised to have to pay for them. No WIFI, but guess what, yes you can pay for it at reception, only problem it is very unreliable, extremely slow and switches on and off as it pleases. The food area is quite small, but very very clean and staffed by very helpful smiley people who are exceptionally well trained. Unfortunately this area is also the entertainment area, so forget having a nice quiet meal as the entertainment host drowns out your conversations. The food was average to good, with one lousy meal which was Chinese night, so to be fair the food is quite ok. The food is always fresh and plenty of it. The kids there seemed to love it, lots of kiddie stuff like fish fingers, chicken nuggets etc. Breakfast is very good quality, but the T Bags are disgusting. There is a really nice mini mart on site, very well priced and well stocked for food, toiletries, sun creams, etc. The pool area is nice, lots of tables and beds and shade, so no problem there. The entertainment is below average in my opinion, but others in our group enjoyed it. It is very family friendly, as I say the staff are fantastic. Our room was kept very clean, sheets and towels changed as often as you want. This is not a place for couples, it has no romance what so ever, but for families and those on a budget it is good value. I have seen people complain about cockroaches, we saw a few, but this is a very hot warm climate and that is where cockroaches live. You wouldn't complain about elephants in Africa and India so why complain about cockroaches in warm places?...some people amaze me at times. Try the fishing trips from Puerto Rico beach, six of us went and it was a truly memorable day, great value and great fun. Drop me a line if you want to know anything else, and have a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room, we were in 114.
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just back from this hotel complex. This is the first time I have ever returned to the same hotel. This is not because I haven't liked previous hotels around the world but because I find it difficult to fault this complex. Friends and I stayed here 2 years ago and had a great time back here for a week of October sunshine. We left just as the Scandinavian season was starting.
Food is still good with enough choice for everyone, you will always here someone complaining about the food no, matter where you go, but we found it very good. The self service bar is fantastic and it is always maintained and clean.
The rooms are spotless and a good size with good views. The staff are friendly and happy. The entertainer this season was Jamie G who did a great job keeping everyone entertained.
We always ate at the hotel and sometimes went into town later on for a few drinks - although downtown drinks can be expensive.
The hotel is near the top of Puerto Rico, almost as high as the Europa Centre but there is a free bus service which is frequent or a taxi is really, really cheap.
I wouldn't rule out staying here a third time purely for the value.

Room Tip: Rooms all tend to face the same direction and all very similar.
2  Thank Willparker