This was a long weekend break to find the sun and we did! Sadly the rave reviews about the hotel didnt reflect what we found.
On arrival, friendly staff and good check in but have to say the terracotta plastered walls looked more like a prison than a hotel. No paint to be seen, all very drab and lack lustre. Coupled with the heavy iron doors leading to the pool area and the dark corridors this looked more like Alcatraz than a hotel.
On a positive note the room was a good size and did have a sea view as requested. It was clean but lacked the niceties one expects in any hotel especially a 5 star one. No tissues, no face flannels, no soap dish or anywhere to keep the soap. No tea and coffee making facilities but you could order room service at 6 euros which for all inclusive is a cheek!
The mini bar was empty but could have been filled on request at an extra charge.
The common areas were not always clean, empty paper cups left on the stairs for 2 days but we were spared the cockroach episode which we overheard by the pool.
Despite notices stating reserving of beds is forbidden, the best beds were reserved by towels before breakfast the staff (few though there were) failed to take any action to prevent this happening.
No pool drinks service was available although a couple of bars at the lower pools were open during the daytime.
The lobby bar was ok for waiter service during quiet periods around late morning but evening service was non existent. Go to the bar and collect your own was the order of the day. Overall a lack of staff was the problem both here and around the pool.
Food - well what to say. Good news were the desserts and the Mexican buffet on our last night. Lunch on day one was inedible (lamb kebabs) as evidenced by the amounts being left on everyones plates! Rest of the food was bland, tasteless and often overcooked, eg fish, meat and pasta.
Room maid service was good albeit in our case not till mid afternoon - again not enough staff. The windy squalls were at times dangerous as the sunbeds and parasols were blown into the pool or onto unsuspecting guests. No sign of any staff at these times except one morning when the poolside shower was cleaned but sadly didnt actually work anyway!
The positives were ..... the wine was drinkable and at times replenished with some regularity. The desserts were good....... what else? sadly we are struggling. Ah yes reception staff were good and helpful but overall this hotel when compared to other hotels we have stayed in which have also been 5 star this didnt live up to expectation or any sort of comparison.
We noticed many glowing reviews of this hotel and may be our expectations are higher than some but this hotel lacked many of the basic aspects we would expect to see in a 3 star hotel let alone a 5 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf All Inclusive is located in the San Blas Enviromental Reserve, beside two golf courses and seafront. The bedrooms are spacious with a terrace and have bathroom with bath tub, shower and hairdryer. Every guest room is soundproof, and offers satellite TV, stereo, Internet connection, minibar (extra charge), air conditioned, safe, phone and free WiFi. The complex has eight pools, a gym and a terrace with loungers and umbrellas, as well as two poolside bars. It also has aqua-aerobics, spa and sauna. The reception is 24 hour, and offers safe and currency exchange. The hotel also has a cafe-bar, a newspaper stand, a hair salon, a night club, a theater, a TV room, a restaurant, a conference room, free WiFi connection room, room service, laundry service (extra charge), a playground and free parking. Separate activities are organized for kids and adults alike. The hotel offers tennis (extra charge), ping-pong, beach volley, golf (extra charge), biking and aerobics classes. You can also row on the property's lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Prestigia, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos San Blas Hotel Reserva Ambiental And Golf
- Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf Tenerife/San Miguel De Abona