“What a crying shame”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“What a crying shame”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This has to be one of the most stunning restaurants we have ever visited.
It is on the mountain road out of San Lorenzo and as you drive up the mountain road you would think the instructions to turn right a mile or so out of the town were a misprint. However on a bend with the valley directly below the road cuts a corner and on the out rock is sat this restaurant.
Plenty of easy parking, and upon entering a pristine building you walk down a few steps and into a crescent shaped room with floor to ceiling glass windows giving the most spectacular views of the valley below. Quite stunning.

It was fairly quite the night we went with friends and we were given a window seat, but I could imagine that if they get busy you would have to settle for tables further in the room which will still give a good view but not quite the same as sitting on the edge.

The staff all evening were excellent, attentive but not in your face.

In almost every respect this would be a breath taking location to take someone for a special occasion or a lovely surprise meal.

The problem for us however was the food. Reading other reviews of this place there seems to be a mixed bag of views. Someone saying they cannot understand the negative comments on the food that they found excellent.
I have not answer to that I am afraid. We are certainly not ones to complain for the sake of it, but myself, my wife and the two friends we went with were very disappointed with the food.

Firstly we were given bread rolls and butter, something that is normal on the island and you are usually charged a nominal amount on the bill. None us wanted bread and apart from myself who broke a small piece off one of the rolls (which was very nice) the rest was not touched, however when the bill came we were charged six euro's for it which we considered very expensive.

My starter was baked camembert which came in about 8 small triangles coated in bread crumbs.
This was also very nice, although the symmetry of the pieces was indicative of bought rather than homemade. One of our friends had octopus as her starter. something she eats a lot of as she is very fond of it. She said however that it was like eating chewy rubber rings, and was not impressed.

For the main course my wife ordered port fillet which came as chunks of pork in a sauce with no other accompaniment other than a plate of chips. The pork had however been cooked to death and was so hard and unforgiving she was only able to eat a small amount. I dipped my fork in and tried a few pieces and could understand what she was saying, although we both agreed the sauce was lovely.

I ordered the pork ribs, which arrived with two small pieces of corn on the cob and some small boiled potatoes. The ribs however had no sauce on them and they looked so pale and insipid that when the waitress had gone we all said "what an earth is that" or words to that effect.
Unlike my wife's pork this had been beautifully cooked, either steamed or cooked slowly in hot water, causing the meat to fall off the bone, however it looked so unappetizing and had a very strong 'raw' meat type of smell. The waitress then returned with two dips which were both some type of pesto dip that just did not go with the meat. If they had browned the meat a little and put some of the sauce my wife had on her meal over it, it would have been lovely, but the strong smell, strong meat taste, and appearance made it difficult to eat much, resulting in me eating the corn and the chips which were also disappointing being slightly undercooked and soggy.

One of our friends, who are long time residence on the island, ordered Sea Bass but when it came it was in fact another similar type of fish as the waiter said they did not have an English translation of that fishes name. The other friend had the chicken cordon bleu, both of them said it was ok without being exceptional.

When we left we all said "what a crying shame" this place would be booked solid every night if the food was good. We then came back and read the reviews on here and were surprised to see so many good ones, and yet as I mentioned above there are others who felt the same as us.
This must make it confusing to those reading this and I am sorry but I do not have an explanation. Either some peoples taste in good food is not the same as ours or they have different chefs of different nights and we just picked a bad one.

My advice would be to go during the day when in the light when the views are even more spectacular and have a drink and a snack and judge if from there. Either was it is worth a visit just to see what it is like.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Condor7700

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Location, Great Value”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Whilst out for a walk we met two people who told us about this restaurant. We stopped by for a beer that same day. We loved the views and, on looking at the menu, booked a window table for Saturday lunch (a treat to cheer us up after what had so far been a disappointing holiday). Loved everything about the place. Friendly waiter, good inexpensive wine, fantastic food, incredible views (and the bill was very reasonable).

If you're walking, it isn't difficult to get to. If you've got a car it's on the TF-28. The 416 bus (from Granadilla, Los Cristianos and Adeje) passes every 40 mins. Such a great experience that it's even worth getting a taxi.

• Visited January 2014
Kinver, United Kingdom
“Exceptional views with good food”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have visited this restaurant numerous times since we discovered it about 3 years ago, and I really cannot understand anyone who criticises it. The food is quite varied, well cooked, reasonably priced, (especially considering the location), the service is excellent even though the staff do not have a great command of English (far better than my Spanish will is extremely limited). The views are fantastic, looking out from on high, above the planes landing at the airport, above the birds of prey as the stoop on their victims. It really is quite unique!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank graceandglynn
Tenerife, Spain
“Very good restaurant with stunning views”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We had a meal for 9 people which was very good, the only negative was that two of the meals were overcooked however everything else was just fine. The wine is good value for money, no overcharging for wine that can be bought locally. The Flores de Chasna is very good it comes in white semi dry, white dry and red. It can be bought in the supermarket for around 7 euro so when we saw it on the menu at 10,00 euro we were happy with that.
The main wall is glass from top to bottom so whichever table you have the views are stunning.

• Visited October 2013
Nottingham
“A cafe with a view!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Wow, what a view from this cafe, looking down onto the lower slopes of the south side of the island of Tenerife. I visited here as part of an excursion called "Teide by Night". My partner and I sampled a piece of cake (never had such a large slice of cake in a cafe!) and the coffee was wonderful and prettily presented. The staff were really pleasant, and even took a photo of us sitting at the table with our refreshment on our camera! I could have stayed longer to soak in the view, but the excursion was ready to proceed after an hour, so I just had to be content with making a mental note to return again one day.

• Visited September 2013