“great value break”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“great value break”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

just back from a week at Santa Barbara having been to the resort previously and we have spent a night at this complex last year.
Last time we stayed the room we were allocated had been refurbished and was great so having seen the santa barbara on secret escapes we could hardly believe the price!!!
The room we were given 523 however on this visit was still awaiting refurbishment and did not have any air con. To have the fan on in the bedroom you had to leave the light on. I complained to reception and the next day we were given a new room and offered assistance to move. I have to say this was excellent customer service.
The new room 515 although not fully refurbished was more in good order and had air con.
We had a great week and quite honestly for what we paid I cant believe the quality or the service.
We thought there has to be a catch !!! this came in the form of the time share sales pitch but to be fair the guy was not over pushy and took no for an answer. I do think that the lady from the concierge desk should have been more upfront about what this entailed as we were told Diamond wanted to get clients to book direct rather than going through the internet companies!!!
Keep up the customer service Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: ask for a sea / pool view
1 Thank L M
diamondresorts, Owner at Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for your review – we’re really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club! We’re sorry that you had cause for complaint about the first apartment you were allocated, but we’re really glad that it was possible to provide you with alternative accommodation which met with your satisfaction.

We hold our staff to an extremely high level of customer service, and we’re delighted that they were able to provide you with all the assistance and information you needed during your holiday. We hope that you’ll choose to come back to Santa Barbara for another stay, and we look forward to being of service to you again!

Javier Baqueiro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Having booked with Diamond Resorts, we did not envisage any problems or disappointments as being members for many years, and used to the standard and service we usually receive, but on this occasion we were wrong. Booked the accommodation months in advance and requested High floor, Quiet room with Sea View as we were taking two friends with us, one who has had bad health for over a year and was just wanting to sit and relax on the balcony over looking the sea.
We arrived late at night was told where our apartment was on the map, which I questioned as it was at the back of the building, overlooking other buildings ground floor
and later we found out in the middle of the refurbishment works,also on the side of the sewage works, on a positive note the apartment was lovely, Was told that they might be able to move us, but not could not promise, was shown another apartment a few days later, which was a lot smaller, a sea view if you stood on a chair, all I can say is that they were not bothered at all, not the usual treatment we get from Diamond, I know requests are not guaranteed, but this time it was the total opposite, even a few days before the concierge had phoned up to see what request we had concerning the rooms, why bother if it is just going to be ignored. Will definitely not be going back to SantaBarbara again

Room Tip: Try and request High Floor, sea view, but don't expect it to be taken any notice of.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank palins
We’re really sorry that you were disappointed with the apartment which you occupied at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club.

Please be advised that we only allocate apartments approximately two weeks before arrival, irrespective of when the booking was made. We make every effort to fulfil accommodation requests made by our members and guests, although unfortunately accommodation levels at the resort will determine whether this is possible.

We hold our staff to an extremely high level of customer service, and we’re sorry that this doesn’t seem to have been the case on this occasion. Please be assured that your experiences are in no way representative of the standards we strive for at Santa Barbara, and that your comments have been brought to the attention of the resort’s management team.

We’re really sorry for the disappointment you experienced on this occasion. We do hope that you will choose to return to the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club, however, and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Have just returned from a brilliant and relaxing trip at this hotel!

My Boyfriend and I booked through Secret Escapes, and were given a fantastic deal (3rd Sept-10th Sept) for an apartment. We were very apprehensive before leaving, due to the low price and thought we would be given a rubbish room at the back of the hotel. I rang Secret Escapes in advance and requested a high room with a sea view, and they said they would allocate us the room if it was available at no extra cost.

We arrived at 12:30 and were unsure whether we'd be able to check in as SE stated check in was at 16:30. We were greeted by a very attentive and friendly receptionist who checked us in straight away, and we were given room 470, (which before even entering the room, were tipped by the baggage handler that this was a fantastic room-very reassuring).

The room was brilliant and satisfied all the requests I had made. It was very spacious, had aircon and the balcony had a stunning view of the pool and the sea. Only negative was that we did have an issue with ants, and were put off using the kitchen due to the fact they would literally swarm to the food as soon as we started to cook!!

The pool was well kept and was perfect for a quick dip in between sun bathing sessions. We didn't have as much trouble as others seem to suggest with reserving sunbeds- I would go down at 9am, and still manage to get 2 neighbouring and top spot beds. One day we even went down at 12, after scuba diving (Amarilla diving- thoroughly recommend), and still managed to get two amazing beds.

The pool bar staff and food was brilliant, and my boyfriend who had the burger every day, can definitely vouch for the fact they are not dry at all, which previous reviews tend to suggest!!! The breakfasts are also brilliant.
The terrace bar was lovely in the evening and do some of the best cocktails. Very nice atmosphere.

Overall, an amazing and relaxing holiday where the staff were both friendly and attentive, and the hotel definitely is as well kept and as brilliant as previous reviews suggest!!! If you go here, you're definitely in for a very chilled and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floored room with a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
diamondresorts, Owner at Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
We’re really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club! We strive to provide an excellent standard of quality and service to all our guests, and we’re delighted that our staff were able to provide you with all the assistance you required and that your apartment here exceeded your expectations.

We really hope that you’ll choose to return here for another holiday, and we look forward to being of service to you again!

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Well, I'm in 2 minds with this review as I was looking forward to this holiday after reading all the excellent reviews on here!
Booked in May for a 2 week holiday in August through Diamond and gave my room preferences which I know cannot be guaranteed, but with over 4 months notice and receiving an email saying we would have a nice room with a nice view. We thought it would of been ok. We requested a high floor with pool/sea view and on west side because of the smell on the east side... WELL! what we got was GROUND floor NO view at all just people sunbathing RIGHT outside our balcony and the best bit it was 1 foot away from the sewage works that was dishing the smell out!!! ARE THEY HAVING A LAUGH!!!!!
We were told they were full and couldn't do anything, until 5 days later!!! When They did offer us another room which was on the 7th floor still no view just the hotel next door car park, but it was half the size of the villa we had, and after staying in such a roomy place and then move to somewhere alot smaller we decided to stay in the villa and just enjoy our holiday. Until my OH wallet got stolen from the sun bed by the pool and we were told "sorry there is no cctv to look at to see who stole it so there is nothing we can do!!" But we didn't let it spoil our holiday.
Rant over now the good bits, lol.
The villa we had was a lovely huge 1 bedroom apartment but no air con and in a smelly position on the complex which let it down.
The hotel and grounds are lovely, the pool is a good size for the amount of people that use it but maybe more sunbeds or keep to the rule that people cant put towels on them, one morning at 08;15 people were doing this and not coming back till 11ish.
The snack bar is ok to eat at and bar prices quite reasonable, the chill out bar is lovely at night for pre-drinks.
The 2 entertainers they had did try hard to include people in activities during the day and some light entertainment at night, but sack the DJ he was awful.
We did hire a car and visited the island and do Lora Park, Siam Park, Aqualand and jungle park, all very enjoyable, There is enough restaurants close by within walking distance, The Chinese just along from the main entrance and the Aberdeen Angus Steak house well good value for money. If you don't mind a little scenic walk there is San Blas just along the coast where there is more restaurants to choose from and a couple of bars/pubs, and I would recommend the Indian Restaurant called Heweli, very good,
With all the little upsets we had we did have a really good holiday Myself my partner 2 girls aged 17 and 12, and we would return Santa Barbara but maybe get a 2 bedroom apartment because they are beautiful, and I would recommend it as well.

Room Tip: Villa 11 is one of the biggest 1 bedroom apartments but is on the ground floor and next to the sewa...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sha32
Thank you for your review! While we genuinely do make every effort to fulfil accommodation requests made by our members and guests, please be advised that occupancy levels at the resort will determine what we are able to offer. All accommodation is allocated approximately 2 weeks before the check-in date, regardless of when the booking was made – we’re sorry that you don’t seem to have been advised of this.

We want every guest to be happy with their accommodation, and we’re sorry that it wasn’t possible to offer you an alternative apartment at the time you first requested it.

We’re really sorry to read of the disappearance of your wallet from the pool area at the resort. We always return any property handed in to the resort staff by other guests, and we do provide security facilities including in-room safes. Unfortunately, we must advise that the resort cannot be held responsible for any items left unattended, however.

We’re really glad that the issues you’ve raised haven’t dissuaded you from returning to the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club, and we look forward to seeing you again!

cardiff uk
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Have just returned from a glorious week of relaxation at the Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club. Initially we were allocated and apartment on the 6th floor, which had a partial sea view, however, we asked the young man at reception if we could possibly move to a better room. Within 10 minutes he had organized this for us. Generally the staff were more than helpful. However the staff at the pool bar appeared to be a bit miserable at times!! sun loungers were also a bit of a problem, as there seemed to be a scrum to get the best spots. The hotel have tried to minimize this problem and have notices clearly displaying warnings that sun beds cannot be reserved and the occupants must be present at their sun bed and cannot abandon them for more that 1 hour(ie) giving people enough time for lunch etc. However, this is very hard to police. By the end of the week I was getting up early to reserve a sunbed, as I felt that "if you can't beat them, join them'. We hired a car for the week, however, I think that the local bus service is pretty reliable. There are some lovely restaurants in the nearby town of Los Abrigos, especially La Scarpetta on the front, which is great value for money and great quality food. Hope to stay at the Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean club again next year.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view. I think 7th and 8th are possibly the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
diamondresorts, Owner at Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
We’re really glad that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay at Santa Barbara – thanks for your review!

We’re sorry that you experienced some frustration in connection with the provision of sunbeds at the resort – as you’re aware, we don’t permit guests to ‘reserve’ sunbeds and the resort lifeguards make every effort to enforce this.

We hope that this didn’t mar an otherwise enjoyable stay at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Just got back from this hotel from a weeks stay. We booked it through Secret Escapes and after reading the feedback on Tripadvisor was expecting amazing things.

It didn't start particularly well as I tried to arrange a bottle of champagne (second honeymoon so wanted a surprise for my wife) to be ready in our room. I emailed the hotel and asked if this was possible and if so, how I needed to pay it. I was told to ring the hotel and give them my bank details. I called twice and on both occasions, after been passed to a few hotel staff, the phone was put down on me. This did anger me quite a bit. I emailed them back to inform them of this poor experience and said I would just pay for it when I check in.

I never recieved an email back to apologise..............nor did I find the champagne in my room.

Moan over, but it did change my opinion of the 'service'.

The room itself was superb (room 854); a one-bedroomed apt with a plasma screen in both the living room and bedroom, every kitchen utensil you could think of (high quality, too), air con in both rooms also (mostly needed) and a great view to boot.

Had a number of english channels including BBC1 and 2, ITV and Sky news.

Each room also had a docking station for an Ipod which is great, although I use my Iphone for my music and the docking stations are not compatible for Iphones, but I always fetch my own slimline docking station so that was ok.

We could smell sewerage now and then on the ground floor but it wasn't overpowering at all, it was gone as fast as it arrived. Could never smell it in our room. Unfortunately, the comments about the sunbeds are true in that you have to get up early to pick one you want. I had to get in line and discard the rules about not leaving towels unattended. That said, as the days went on there were more available beds.

The pool bar is reasonable priced, too, the shade was badly needed as we never saw a single cloud till the last day.

We had to free vouchers for the on-site Little Italy restaurant; the food was nice but not fantastic. That said, we only went there once so just judging it on one meal. The waiters were extremely pleasant and well mannered.

There isn't much in way of entertainment outside of the complex. There's a good Irish bar a minutes walk out of the front entrance to the left on the opposite side of the road and adjacent to the bar there's a small hill where it leads you to the bottom where's there's a few restauarants. Highly recommend the japanese restaurant there, but would never go back to the mexican, it was terrible.

One place I would say is a must is a restaurant called Rendevous. If you walk past the Irish bar and stay on the opposite side of the chinese restaurant you see, you will come to some steps leading up to a crown green bowling area. You will see the restaurant up more steps. The food was absolutely sensational, couldn't recommend it enough. The maitre de was so informative about everything, from the food to the wine, he got it spot on about everything and was organically polite and pleasant. Would actually go back to Tenerife on the strength of this restaurant alone.

San Blas was ok but I got flashbacks of when I went to Spain with the family years ago; white resin chairs and tables, chalkboards of the same old food advertised. Set up for British tourists looking for cheap fodder. There are other places such as Indian and chinese and seemed reasonabley priced, but personally not my thing on holiday.

Overall, I'd go again but feel it's more for a small group of friends or family as you need a bit of banter to wallpaper over the amentity cracks.

Room Tip: The room we had made it quite a walk to the pool so if you like to be near the pool, contact the hot...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this detailed review of your recent stay at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club!

It concerns us greatly when guests feel they have cause for complaint about the standard of service they’ve received, and we sincerely apologise for the way that your request was handled. Please be assured that this is in no way representative of the standards of customer service which we strive to uphold.

We sincerely hope that this issue didn’t mar an otherwise enjoyable stay at Santa Barbara, and we’re very glad to read that the accommodation met with your satisfaction.

We hope that you’ll choose to come back here for another holiday!

Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

We had a nice relaxing holiday could not fault apartment and the staff done all they could to help you would go back again for a quiet break food was excellent although soft drinks expensive restaurant

• Stayed August 2012
diamondresorts, Owner at Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
We’re really glad you enjoyed your stay at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club – we hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Miguel de Abona
#1 of 17 in Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#20 of 57 in Costa Adeje

Been to Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club? Share your experiences!