“Comfortable and very friendly”
Review of Hotel Terramar

Hotel Terramar
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Llafranc
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic location on the beach, very friendly and helpful staff, and the best breakfast. Comfortable and clean - ask for a beachfront balcony room. Can be noisy because of location. No pretence; a very welcoming hotel and keen to ensure guests' needs are being met.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KentGartons
ANNA P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Terramar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Sirs,

We contact from the customer service department you to thank you for your opinion and assessment about hotel, information that it helpful for us.

We are glad that you felt were comfortable in our hotel, and that you could also enjoy it's facilities. We appreciate your positive comments concerning the services and facilities offered by the Hotel Terramar.

HOTEL TERRAMAR

There are newer reviews for Hotel Terramar

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is great for a week-end escape to the Costa Brava. The roomos are quite basic, but confortable enough, with the amenities you would expect.

The building iteself is quite old (probably from the 70'ies), but reasonably well restored.

The best aspects of the hotel are:

1. Located right on the beach, and you only have to cross the road to be by the sea.
2. Great breakfast hall: sea views and a spectacular breakfast buffet.
3. Reasonable prices, considering the location.

Llafranc is a small village right on the coast, and there are quite a few nice restaurants there. The food at the hotel's two restaurants is also quite good, and you can also eat at their "chringuito" located on the sidewalk right across the hotel.

They have a small temporary parking área right in front of the hotel where you can unload and load the car. They can provide parking space 5 minutes walking from the hotel.

If you want to spend the day on the beach on your check-out day, ask to leave the luggage at the hotel. If you want to shower and change afterwards, they have a bathroom available for that on the ground floor.

Suggestions for activities:

If you get bored of the beach, you can hire kayaks or small motor boats right next door. You can also take walks along the coastal path. It is only a 20 minute walk to Callella de Palafrugell, which is also a pintoresque villlage you ought to visit, with lots of nice places for lunch or dinner. If you continue the walk towards south, you can visit small and remote "calas" (bays) from which to swim or sunbathe.

We generally stay at this hotel 1 or 2 week-ends a year, and will definately repeat.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the main street, and there is a bit of traffic. If you wish for a quiet room, it ou...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vikongo
ANNA P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Terramar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have just returned from a 3 day stay at the lovely Hotel Terramar. We completed a cycling holiday which ended in Llafranc and we were looking forward to a relaxing stay at this hotel and we were not disappointed. Our room overlooked the sea front and although not enormous was impeccably clean, well furnished and the bathroom was immaculate, with a walk in power shower, plenty of towels and a range of toiletries. The rooms certainly did not smell 'muggy', just the opposite in fact.
As part of the holiday we had half board and I have to say the food was excellent. We had a choice of four menu's some of which changed nightly. Both the service and the food were excellent, staff were attentive and explained any dishes that were unfamiliar to us. I would say that all the food was the best that Catalonia had to offer with seafood high on the list. When I travel abroad I expect to experience all that the country has to offer including the food, I would not expect, or want to see typical British food on the menu.
I must disagree with the previous reviewer on her comments about the lighting in the corridors, they are not dark and dingy, however I did not take nocturnal wanderings on other corridors apart from my own and therefore can't comment on the light bulb situation anywhere else.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Llafranc and hope to return someday. Thank you.

Room Tip: I can't really comment on any other room than the one I had. It was on the first floor and had a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I have just returned from another relaxing few days at this very comfortable hotel.
We had a problem with the air conditioning in our room which was no fault of the hotel, but because of major water pipe replacement to the town causing an air lock to the system. When I reported the problem it had been fixed by the time we returned at night.
The restaurant was serving good food with a balanced menu each night, and the breakfast bar was sumptuous with friendly smiling faces to welcome us.We had some over cooked pieces of veal which I should have complained about before eating, the waiter was very apologetic and made sure on future nights we were satisfied. He also made sure there was an adjustment to our bill.
Reception were helpful at all times and made our our 4 nights seamless and for us the resort coupled with the Terramar offer a perfectly relaxed break.
We shall be back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony facing the sea are best.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

This little hotel quietly sits on the sea front and in an evening we sit with just the sound of the ocean waves breaking gently on the shore .
Rooms are not overly spacious but are comfortable and well equipped . Should you need anything at all the friendly staff are more than willing to help you just have to ask.
On a couple of days there was a good breeze blowing in from the north and the roof top terrace came into its own providing shelter and comfort wither sun loungers.
I will write a review of the hotel restaurant when i get home it seems not to be on the site but for me its number one.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharpe-and-Gromit

HOTEL TERRAMAR

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here with my wife and son for 4 days after Easter 2014. The hotel is very nice overall – it is not 4 star and does not claim to be, however it is easily close and I suspect that this is the direction the hotel is travelling in. The price was very reasonable and represented excellent value for money. Service was excellent and helpful – the place is spotless and it is clear from the modern bathrooms and restaurant that this hotel is kitting itself up for additional stars on an rolling basis.

I must note their attention to service - I arrived the day after my birthday and had not mentioned this to them. Later that day I returned to the room to find a bottle of cava provided for me as a gift - a really nice touch reminiscent of service I once received in the best 5* hotel in Nice, France. I would put the level of service into this category.

The details:
Rooms: very comfortable if fairly narrow but fine in terms of dimensions overall, with a very modern bathroom (no bath in my room - a bit of a problem for washing my son so ask for a bath if you have similar circumstances). Very comfortable and well sized bed, travel cot provided. The digital TV has many stations from many countries, including BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Sky News amongst others. The view from the balcony (room 112) was splendid, facing directly onto the beach. The only improvement I might suggest is a kettle and some coffee, tea bags, etc, in the room.

Location: Ideal, right in the centre of the main promenade, at the heart of the village and across a very quiet road to the beach. 2 An easy drive from Girona airport – my first time driving on the right hand side and the roads were a breeze, nothing to worry about. There are three nice play areas in Llafranc – one directly adjacent to the hotel car part (see below), one on the way and another a block or so behind the village church. These are variably shaded throughout the day so provide a nice respite from the sun for little ones.

Dining: Restaurants attached to the hotel (the hotel restaurant for finer dining, Nova Pasta seem to rent out the opposite side of the hotel frontage and provide pastas and pizzas – anything on the menu can be ordered to take away, just in case you have a baby to watch over in the evening. We dined in the hotel restaurant for breakfast and this was also of a very good quality (paid 12 euros each as a couple per day for this and fed our son from the ample buffet too at no extra charge).

Price: Incredibly reasonable for the location and quality

Service: Very good, even down to the friendliness of the maids.

Parking: I used the parking facility which is about 3 (short) blocks inland - really very close, about 2 minutes walk. Email them to book this in advance as spaces are limited, and you do have to pay (11 euros per day). This was secure and shaded, very convenient overall.

Llafranc: Llafranc is lovely, a really nice spot to visit and a million miles away from the built up idea of the Costas as you could get. Although I didn’t see much fishing going on, it would be best described as a fishing-village sort of place. Fairly quiet but well served. Just right.

English is not commonly well understood in Llafranc (the standard answer to "do you speak English" was "A little" but then my spoken Spanish is appalling so I am not complaining about this at all!) I would just advise digging out an old phrasebook as it may make things a little smoother. When we visited the other visitors were generally Spanish and French with a smattering of young British families and older British couples. If you’re visiting, rent a car as public transport seems a bit thin on the ground and the walk to Tamariu is fairly long (although pleasant, I am told – too many steps for the pushchair). Pop into Port Bo for lunch and Cap Roig botanical gardens if you can – the views from the latter are stunning. 6 euro entry per person, children free. There is a small supermarket on the corner of Carrer Isaac Peral and Carrer Xavega (see Google Maps) and a larger one within easy driving distance (probably walkable too) in Palafrugel proper, right by the roundabout for Llafranc. Some of the businesses were not open during weekdays when we visited – weekends only to cater for tourists. This is unlikely to be the case in high season. If you fancy a drink in the evening, most restaurants shut for Siesta but there are two bars/restaurants with promenade seating towards the eastern end of the beach that get the sun in the afternoon/early evening. Sit down to be served but then get their attention if you want a refill – they seem to be reluctant to approach you the second time around unless you are direct.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath if you want one - other photos show a bath, my room did not. Book parking in advance...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank tom_teaches
ANNA P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Terramar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Sirs,

We contact with you from the customer service department to thank you for your opinion and assessment about hotel, information that it is very helpful for us.

We are glad that you felt comfortable in our hotel, and you could enjoy it's facilities. We appreciate your positive comments concerning the services and facilities offered by the Hotel Terramar.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Terramar back in July.
The location is beautiful just a few steps away from the beach, convenient for sunbathing, swimming, kayaking or strolling along the front.
The hotel is clean and well looked after and has been in the same family for several generations. The staff were all helpful especially the staff on reception and Anna our evening waitress/Catalan teacher.
If you arrive by car you can turn in and park at the entrance to unload your bags and check in. They will tell you where you can park after that, it was a few minutes walk away and free.
Breakfasts are generous with lots of choice. There is a machine with oranges in that you can get freshly squeezed juice from and the Cava is waiting on ice. The fresh fruits were good. I had cherries and strawberries with a thick and creamy yoghurt. There were cold meats, cheese with membrillo which is a quince paste called codonyat in Catalan, bacon, sausages and scrambled eggs, breads, pastries and cakes and glorious Nespresso coffee.

We have stayed in Llafranc before some years back. Once at the Terramar and the second time in another hotel nearby. Both times we mostly ate out for our evening meal as there is an excellent choice of places to eat in Llafranc. We thought we would do the same this time but we really enjoyed our meal on the first night so we ate at the Terramar's restaurant every evening. We had the set menu which included several local dishes. It was varied and interesting and included a bottle of wine, water and bread making it excellent value.
I particularly enjoyed the fideua, Palamos prawns, paella and the grilled mussels. (photos attached)

Be aware that in this part of Spain not everyone speaks English and some of those that do may not understand correctly everything you say. A bit of French worked wonders in a couple of places.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellingteapot

Customer Service Department

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llafranc
Hotel Blau Mar
Hotel Alga
Hotel Alga
#4 of 7 in Calella de Palafrugell
Hotel La Caleta de Tamariu

Been to Hotel Terramar? Share your experiences!