“Beautiful view. A bit dated”
Review of H.TOP Royal Sun

H.TOP Royal Sun
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
“Beautiful view. A bit dated”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed her the last week in June 2014. We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by friendly reception team, went and found our room which was a little dated but for what you pay I feel you have to be realistic, it's a reasonable priced place for what you get. Two single beds, bathroom, balcony & air conditioning in room (we had a pretty good view of the sea room 616) cleaned daily by a lovely team who we're very friendly and done a great job. The food was ok, nothing too special and very much the same each day but plenty of it, there was something for everyone!
You step out of the hotel onto the beach, which is fantastic, stunning views! lovely beach bars & cocktail bars which I suggest trying all with very kind staff!
Definitely worth a try for a low cost holiday!
Thanks H top royal sun, we had a lovely time!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Philippa K
HTOPHotels, Director Comercial at H.TOP Royal Sun, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Philippa K,

Thank you very much indeed for your fantastic review; we are more than happy when our clients appreciate our staff, as we consider that our team is the most important part of our offer. After your nice experience, we expect to see you again very soon; please do nor hesitate to contact our booking department, we would like to make our best to guarantee another nice experience.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great Location, very hard working, friendly staff. HTOP makes sure there is no slouching.
I was trying to figure out what is missing from this hotel during my recent stay ?. Then it came to me..it lacks personality and character. There is a system in place for all inclusive guests. The logistics put in place for this is at a high level, but then it fails. It is obvious that HTOP have given somebody the job of introducing a system that actually makes things awkward for guests and staff. Breakfast is the usual run of the mill stuff, eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, coffee machine. Once the early sitting has finished at ten. The coffee is now switched to the main bar, were one helps ones self.(I like to see coffee available at all times, bottled water too) Onwards to lunch, were much the same set up is in place, Pastas, salads, various mains, on a hot plate. This hot plate would not be up to standard, some of the hot food was not very hot, some cold. After lunch there is a snack bar open in the main restaurant, but it is not worth typing about. Dinner is much of the same with a decent effort to change things around. One occasion there was some very nice braised beef, on another there was turkey chops (on the notice) yet they resembled a gigot lamb chop and tasted like one too.
The main bar is large and made me feel I was back in a holiday camp somewhere in Wales during the 80's. The staff there are nice too. However, I witnessed some very irate guests trying to piece together in their mind what to do with the all inclusive drinks card system. A system (bright spark in htop idea) where you are given two cards, a Black one that allows you to get drinks and a green card, which you hand in per drink. In order to get another drink you must then bring back your glass or hard plastic cup to receive your next beverage. Sounds complicated, but not if you are one of the regular guests that have educated themselves into that mode.I find this unhygienic, as cards returned to into guests hands are from someone else. There are no pints glasses, unless you are a paying customer, but wait I am. Just I'm not handing cash directly to the hotel.
The outside bar is a nice area to sit, relax, have a drink and take in the views. The same system for drinks is in place here, and the food at this bar must be purchased.
The rooms are very small, but Ok,. As an advertised 4 star Hotel, I was hoping there might have been tea/coffee making facilities like most European 4 stars, but sadly no. There is a fridge though. A TV, beds, a small balcony, well in the room I stayed in. The walls are thin and noisy during the night, expected I suppose with an older building, but there were times I thought I was getting raided, or there was a ghost in the toilet with a disagreeable belly.
But as I was told, if I like home cooking, peace, comfort..stay at home !
In a nutshell, The Royal Sun has very hard working staff, its cleaned well, but I felt I was becoming my own waiter on holiday, the drinks system might sound like there wont be heavy drinking arguments going on or glass/plastic left about, but If I managed to book,pay, fly and arrive, I can manage my own drinking. I have also read that it is cheap, well that might be well for some, but for wait I paid I found it above average expenditure for what I got. The pool area is OK and suited some.
It is right on the beach, but i think when you book your beach beds, they should hand you a sign, saying do not disturb. Within one minute I was asked by 7 different people if I wanted a massage, fruit, clothes, sunglasses. OK everyone is entitled to make a living, but it became a bit much after an hour or so. A laugh.
The A I card system allows you to use other HTOP facilities, I tried this one evening and was told that I would have to pay for a drink (i did) as that offer finishes at 7pm.
As a fan of the region I would like to wish and see The Royal Sun doing well, but I fear as time moves on The Royal Sun won't.

5 Thank Matt C
Dear Matt C,

We thank you for your very complete review, we are very happy knowing your opinion about our staff, location and cleanliness. Your comments regarding our card system will be taken into consideration, maybe we have to consider some changes about this issue.
We would like to inform you that we have had some meetings with the local authorities regarding the illegal sellers on the beach, and we have been promised that this problem will be resolved sooner than later.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip to Santa Susanna and the H Top Royal Sun Hotel but I am kinda glad that my stay was a short one!

First the positives - It is a great location set right on the beach and with a large promenade behind which has an array with of shops, other hotels and restaurants. Saturday night a number of craft stalls set up along the promenade and I had the pleasure of meandering slowly looking at a range of local wares. The railway which runs parallel to the beach is an easy and cheap way of seeing Barcelona for just under €10 for two tickets, they run every half hour, are clean and thankfully air conditioned. Be warned though, you will probably find some sort of entertainer singing or playing an instrument in the hope that you will part with your hard earned cash.

The staff at the Royal Sun are all friendly, genuinely happy to help and their English is more than adequate. Entertainment is also pretty good with beach Zumba, flamenco show, live band and disco were just some of the things which on offer.

For a day on the beach you can rent sun loungers and umbrellas for €3 a piece, ask reception for details. But again be warned that you will be hounded by endless stream of vendors selling their wares and being reluctant to take no for an answer. Not very conducive to relaxation.

But it ain't all good!

Bad points for me
The single beds, (which should've been a double) to be honest feel like they are as old as me and could definitely do with being replaced for something a little less like a shed door.

The ensuite was again clean, but would benefit from a shower that knows which way to spray! Noise from other hotels is obviously beyond the control of the Royal Sun, but just be warned that there are some very noisy hotels out on the promenade and may be heard late into the night.
But by far my biggest bugbear was the food. For the most part it was inedible and by day two I was already dreading going down for breakfast. Choice is the usual, cereal, fry up, fruit/yoghurt, pastries/bread, cold meats and cheese. I tried the majority in the hope that I would find something I liked, but for the most part I was disappointed. particular items to avoid ...

Cold meats and cheese seemed to have a sweaty sheen on them and the luncheon meat was actually quite slimy :/

Scrambled eggs where cold, despite being one of the first in the restaurant and powdered. Yuk! The rest of cooked items all swimming in olive oil and all sort of taste the same.

Pastries are very very stale.

All in all a very disappointing stay :( and will not be returning.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mygrassisblue2011
Dear Barbabeaux,

We thank you for your review and we will take your comments into consideration, especially your concern regarding the scrambled eggs. We appeciatte your positive comments about our location and especially about our staff.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Susanna hotels

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This Hotel looked like a great place to spend our honeymoon. It was situated right on the beach. Price was right and we thought great! We went for the all inclusive thinking that the food would be nothing very special as like most buffets. Well the food for the most part was just awful if it was bakery goods it was very stale and the lunch meats did not taste of meat. It was very disappointing to say the least. We ended up just having coffee in the mornings and going to other places to get lunch and dinners. Another problem was we booked our room to be a double come to find out their double rooms are two single beds pushed together! So a honeymoon with two single beds that were very uncomfortable you could not lay in the middle of both as it felt like a board was going through your back. The only up sides were the staff was very friendly the lobby, bar and outside areas were nice and clean. It is such a shame that the bedrooms and the food let them down as it could be a great place if they put a bit of money and effort into fixing these issues. I heard from a few people that frequent this hotel that the food this year has been an issue this year for them also.

Warning to anybody looking into Santa Susanna for a relaxing day on the beach at any hotel - You get hounded by people trying to sell you stuff and give massages its too much it should be policed and there is no lifeguard on that stretch of beach.

Room Tip: Unless they fix the bed and food issues I would give them a miss.
Dear Kelli E

We thank you for taking the time to share your comments with other visitors; we are sorry if you were expecting a room with a king size bed; we do not have any in this moment. We thank you also for your nice comments regarding our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Hi we visited here for the day using the Htop free bus service. We used the facilities and ate here too! What we saw of the hotel was clean staff friendly location excellent! The hotel was right next to beach so views from the sitting area at front of hotel were amazing! Food was fab! All inclusive service was good also!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Mandy3425
HTOPHotels, Director Comercial at H.TOP Royal Sun, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Mandy,

We thank you for sharing your impressions with the rest of the T.A. community; we hope to see you staying at the Royal Sun very soon, we are sure that your first impressions will be confirmed.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Beautifully located hotel, right on the beach, all local amenities are easily accessible.
2 swimming pools, very clean.
The staff are friendly and happy to help.
Wide variety of food was available for breakfast, dinner and tea, in addition to this snacks were available between these times.
I highly recommend this hotel and will return again in the future.
Room 110 is unbeatable, I couldn't have asked for anything more, we were truly spoilt with its views and location.
We also met some lovely people who return each year , confirming my own opinion.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Shaun C
Dear Mr Conway,

We thank you for your fantastic review; we are especially happy for your comments regarding our staff. We are very glad knowing that you are planning to come again, we hope to see you and your family very soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival, we will try to do our best in order to prepare you a nice stay. Anna or Fernando from the front desk will be more than happy to help you.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

hotel rooms in need of update entrance to dinning room has been done and now wheelchair user can have use of dinning room, was told closeing this winter to be made in to five star hotel by next spring and have disabled rooms ,food just like last year chicken pork ever day if all inculsive becarefull food at pool bar you need to pay for only local drinks are free, well have to come back to see next year,

Room Tip: book room with seaview or end up at back of hotel next to railway line last train at 23.00 first tra...
1 Thank adrianwalters01
Dear Adrian,

We thank you for choosing us again to enjoy your holidays; we appreciate that you have noticed the improvements made last winter. We hope to see you again next year.