“Not as bad as expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riviera

Hotel Riviera
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
Whalley, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Reading some of the previous reviews left me expecting not very much at all from the Riviera and after now having experienced it myself, I would say that they are mostly a fair representation. If you are expecting swish, luxury accommodation in an authentic typically Spanish resort you will be disappointed as the phrase "you get what you pay for" springs to mind here. The Riviera is a clean, basic, no frills hotel which is catering to a mostly "egg and chips" brigade. The rooms, food, entertainment and the resort of Santa Susanna itself are all perfectly acceptable if a bit downmarket. We visited for a cheap girls weekend and were quite happy with what we got (apart from a problem with noise from the lift and a dodgy flush on the toilet - avoid room 150). If you are looking for something cheap and cheerful, this is for you, if not go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Pool rooms have a better view and more sun, but overlook the VERY loud and cheesy nightly entertainm...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Susan W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just returned from a week in Santa Susanna having stayed at the Riviera Hotel. The hotel was booked before I looked at the reviews on here. I must say some of those reviews left us wondering what to expect. I must say we were pleasently surprised on arrival. Check in was quick and efficient the room was adequate and spotlessly clean as was all the public areas in the hotel. We did not spend much time around the pool due to the lovely beach just over the road but from what we saw the pool and terrace was always kept clean and tidy. Now for the BUT the food in the restaurant left a lot to be desired. The lack of choice was obvious and what there was was rather cool/cold(there is a microwave). The grill chef is good idea but seemed only to be able to cook pork,turkey and fish. having said that would we stay here again.......YES

Room Tip: Ask for pool view or pay 10 euro per night to upgrade rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tim b
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked this hotel last minute for myself and my boyfriend for one night solely due to the cheap price. Because of the price (and certain reviews) we didn't expect much at all, however we were very pleasantly surprised. Our immediate reaction was that the rooms have very recently been renovated because ours was lovely. We went half board for the night (also due to the cheap price, we thought why not) and the food was fine. Nothing amazing but what would you expect for such a cheap price? Good selection and decent standard. Unfortunately due to only a one night stay we didn't get a chance to use the pool but it looked nice. Overall I was very surprised and pleased.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor overlooking the pool (and entertainment in a nearby hotel) which we enjoyed...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Nessa S
Andover
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

When we arrived at the hotel we thought it looked great, the problem is that the further you get into the hotel the more dated it looks. I'm not saying the hotel was dirty or anything like that it's just that it just needs a bit of a makeover.
Having said that we did enjoy the hotel and resort and looking to stay at Malgrat this year which is basically attached to Santa, so it's like one resort really.
I'm not writing this report to put anyone off staying here, it's just what I thought of the place.
PS if you sit outside the bar at night you will see some good entertainment from the hotel opposite. We watched it most nights.
Regards

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank laurenkaris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. After arriving early hours of the morning we thought we had arrived at the hotel off the inbetweeners movie. After spending all night awake, staring at the fly on the wall (sorry, I mean tele) laughing at what a disaster we thought it was, we couldn't be more wrong.
Hotel Rivera was lively and is ideal for group holidays. Staff were friendly and rooms are a decent size and perfect if your not going to spend a lot of time in them.
Whether it be the hotel or the friends we made, it was still the best holiday ever.

• Stayed July 2013
9 Thank Elecampbell
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I went to this Hotel in August and I can tell you, never again! We arrived in the early hours and was greeted by a grumpy older woman who didn't really understand what I was trying to say . There was a issue with checking in - they only seemed to have a booking for myself , my older son 14 and my daughter 16, but not my younger son 10! I tried to explain that I have booked for four and showed my flight tickets which, after a lot of discussion they accepted. I did ask that there are enough beds in the room and was assured that there were. We were given our keys and off we went. Got to the room and low and behold, 3 beds! Off back to reception and the receptionist took me back up stairs but didn't take me to my room, I thought he was showing me a different room - but no, he thought it was my room, lack of communication again - opened the door and waiting for us was this poor woman naked in bed!! I just said " oh god!" He just giggled when I said " That's not my room!" I then took him to our room and showed him the room - you couldn't swing a cat in it ( not that you'd want to) . He said they were fully booked and couldn't move us until the next day! We all crammed in the three beds ( they were already pushed together as the room was sooo tiny) The next morning we were given a different room equally as small but had four beds squished together. To end my moan , the food was horrendous , honestly , absolutely terrible. After the second day the kids were hungry so I found a pub round the corner that served lovely food . Overall , I will never go back and do not recommend this hotel at all. Sorry .

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Sarah L

Travellers are raving about these Santa Susanna hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

On arrival from 26th September to 2nd Octonber, we had to pay a tourist tax, 1,40 euros for 2 people, I was not happy about this, as we should have been informed by Travelrepublic about this, We had a good holiday, the room was good, over looking the pool, food good, could not fault 95% of this hotel, staff friendly. WIFI bad, ceiling in reception leaking, not a good look. Jug of sangria every night was lovely and the bands from the hotel next door were great. Yes we would go back. Dutch lad in dinning room was a gem

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the pool are great, if you like the bands in the next hotel, they stop at midnigh...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple