“An honest review warts an all. And maybe a ghost ...”

Santa Susanna Resort
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
Padiham, United Kingdom
“An honest review warts an all. And maybe a ghost ...”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel previously in 2012 with a friend but that was only for 4 nights. I decided to go again with my boyfriend for 10 nights but to be honest we would not return. Firstly the hotel is in dire need of a major update. The decor and rooms are looking very dated. The first room we were allocated was on the 5th floor where there isnt really a balcony more like a hole in the roof where you cant see over the top of unless you stand on a chair. The tiny bedroom was like a sauna when we walked in and due to the outside space didnt get any air. We were moved without a fuss though to a room on the 4th floor which was much bigger with a proper balcony and maybe a ghost but more of that later. The rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels but the bed was not changed in the whole 10 days. Food is a buffet service but was very samey samey so we ate out in town a few times. The entertainment is non existent. To be honest the hotel was okay for our basic needs but the behaviour of some of the guests leaves a lot to be desired. In the dining hall, which is in the bowels of the hotel, and resembles a canteen, guests were piling plates of food so high it was falling on the floor, we were embarrassed to be a part of it. The sunbed wars are another thing. We witnessed towels being put down on sunbeds in the early hours and then being left with no one using them while others had to do without a bed. Total bad manners. Food left around the pools because lazy people can't be bothered to put it in the bins. It resembled a rubbish tip on some days. And dont get me started on the badly behaved children who just seem to run amok while the parents get drunk. We had to tell some children at 2am in the morning who were running down the halls to be quiet. Where were the parents?? We always tried to be polite to staff saying please and thank you but found most (not all) to be downright surly and rude, mainly the asian staff they have working there. Whilst queuing for drinks we got a barked 'YES? off one member of staff instead of asking what we wanted. When we mentioned this to the young girl who was also working with him she excused it by saying he was very tired. They did seem to be over worked but that was not our fault. Also all drinks whether hot, cold, tea, coffee, coke etc etc are all served in plastic beakers. Why??? If you want a holiday where you want to stuff your face with the same food every day and night and you can get drunk and never want to leave the hotel then this is the place for you. Also I dont want to scare anyone but like another reviewer on here mentioned she said her room was haunted, Room A11, which was just a few doors along from ours, I thought ours was too. I wont say the number in case anyones in there now but on a few occasions I was convinced my boyfriend was in the room when he was in the bathroom. I was out on the balcony and even went in to speak to him as I saw something move across the room and no I hadnt been drinking!!! This happended a few times. I would be interested to hear if anyone else had a simlar experience. All in all I suppose you get what you pay for and if this sounds like its up your street then go for it. Its mainly family orientated so if you are couples or groups of girls or groups of lads I would give it a wide berth or use it as a base and go into town every night or the beach. And if you want a sunbed get up early or move towels lol.

Room Tip: Dont go on the 5th floor you wont get a balcony!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Genaribena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Polish first
Halfway, Cambuslang, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

seen alot of negative reviews but i can't really fault the place. my daughter and 2 nieces loved it, the entertainment for kids is great with a disco and different movie every night plus quizzes and bingo for parents to join in with. food was typical of all inclusive buffet menu. and snack bar by pool very handy. i found all the staff very pleasant. our room had a balcony overlooking pool. everywhere was really clean. regular free train to beach and main shopping area really handy although walk only takes 10 mins and its a nice walk. also a great shopping centre right next to hotel. overall great holiday for a budget price

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank terfitz
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was worried after reading negative reviews, I'm glad there are more positives reviews going on now.
We 4 ladies had a good time , we had a large room on the 5th floor, no disturbances, fans and balcony doors open kept it cool at night. All inclusive ....Plenty to choose from for meals and snacks and drinks : nothing too sophisticated. Good location not too close to the night clubs. Beach accessible on foot 10 mins or on the little train. We ate out a couple of time which was good value.
Hotel staff were helpful and busy ....serving or cleaning for long hours, please remember to tip them as not sure how much they can get paid as holiday was very reasonable price.
It was not luxury accommodation but was pleasant enough. Mainly families and groups of friends , mostly British.

Room Tip: For quiet time 5th floor
7 Thank Helen E
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Myself and my friends stayed in this hotel for 10 nights, and as soon as we arrived at this location, we were told we were to make no noise. As soon as we checked in, the receptionists were very unsocial and impatient, and our hotel room was far too small for 5 of us, therefore we had to go back to reception and ask to change our room, bearing in mind we had paid for a balcony, we were told we would have to pay a further 150 Euro to get this. Upon arriving in our new room, it looked very clean and tidy, however as we looked in the bathroom, we found that the toilet brush was covered in faeces.
The water pressure was basic and bearable, and the shower itself was fully functionable.
The beds were also basic and what you would expect from a 3 star hotel, even though the sheets were covered in hair. These sheets were not changed once during our stay here.
The staff didn't seem to smile, or make conversation if approached. Maybe two or three of the bar staff were helpful, and two night officers.
The food at this hotel was truly awful. There were 4 carts, two of which were the same, and there was very little for a vegetarian to eat! I also noticed hair on my plate after putting a serving on my plate, (blonde hair, I have brown hair) therefore I was completely put off eating in the canteen.
The entertainment could've been a lot better, there wasn't really an atmosphere or a sense of fun, there was just a DJ outside in the corner playing the same songs every night, and maybe two hours worth of karaoke and music indoors.
The nightlife surrounding this hotel kept me and my friends entertained for most of our stay. Club Tropicana is a must go if you like to dance, and the Beach Bar is very relaxing indeed.
Overall, I give this establishment a poor rating. I've stayed in 3 star establishments before and this is the worst one yet. I wouldn't recommend a stay here, unless it's for a very short break.
I hope this review helps!

Room Tip: If you have paid for a balcony, insist they give you a balcony.
3 Thank Kelly blue W

Travellers are raving about these Santa Susanna hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Me and two friends were looking for a cheap holiday to relax after our exams. After booking to stay here we looked at reviews and started to worry as some of the reviews made the place sound awful.The resort is pretty and all of the staff were extremely friendly and did all that they could to help us with anything. The rooms were clean but very basic with no air conditioning, we didn't really find that a problem as we would open the balcony on a night to cool down the room and wouldn't spend huge amounts of time in the room during the day. The pool was a tiny bit cold but the children in the pool didn't seem to mind. There was plenty of different entertainments on in the pool for children each day and a warm jacuzzi for adults. The food was good and warm although I would have loved more of the foods to have labels as I didn't always know what the food was. There is a pool bar which served toasties, burgers, hot dogs and chips which we found very useful as we usually missed breakfast. We used the train to get to the beach on a daytime or to the market on a night time. the train also does a tour of the beautiful mountain which older people would have found interesting. There is a nice outdoor area to sit in and have a drink on a night time. There was a mixture of guests from families, couples and groups of friends. I met some great people out there, some who go back every year, and have some lovely memories When the time came to leave I was upset, I would love to go back someday. At the end of they day I don't believe I could have found a better place to stay for the price I paid, It's a wonderful little resort with lots of character despite not being in the best location. If you've booked up and are worried after reading some of these reviews then get yourself off the reviews as people usually only seem to review when they have had a bad experience and forget to mention the good things.

10 Thank SophieDawson
Nottm
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A very busy hotel, but not wanting for anything, clean room, good food ,no waiting at the bar. ideal for what we wanted.only down side no aircon, no window to open very warm but only 3days so no probs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

1 Thank Chris B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a great hotel can't find a fault with anything the food was good with a great selection at breakfast lunch and dinner they also do snacks such as toasties and pizza but can't comment on them as there was always plenty to eat at meal times fo me to try them this hotel is in a good location 10 to 15 min walk to beach and town or free train every 30 mins outside the hotel there is a british bar in town open till 230 am but only did this one night and it wasn't very lively better entertainment at hotel also want to give the female staff a mention they are really beautiful friendly girls always smiling will definetley be returning next year

• Stayed June 2014