“Pick of the bunch”

Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Porthleven
Price range: US$8 - US$42
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located within the picturesque harbour of Porthleven, open from 10 am for Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Recently featured in 'The Times' for top places for Breakfast! Extensive Fish Board, locally sourced from the harbour, excellent Cornish meats selected by our butchers from The Lizard, wonderful vegetarian dishes and all produced in house by our fabulous chef, stunning selection of cakes & yummy things!
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Although the restaurant doesn't look much from the outside, inside is a different experience. A friendly welcome and very good food. The Sunday roast is probably the best we've had. A smaller size is an option for those with not such a hearty appetite. We visited in the evening too. The food was above average but would recommend putting table cloths and candles on the tables. It would make the occasion a little more special. Overall excellent. Probably the best place to eat in Porthleven. Would recommend and return.

1  Thank Georgie1970

Reviewed 13 December 2011

As a local in Porthleven I keep a keen eye on the restaurant reviews and I wanted to say that my Wife and I occasionally pop into Sea Drift for breakfast/brunch, the last occasion being last weekend.
As always the food and service were top class. The restaurant was warm and cosey and adorned with Carla's (owner) Christmas photography - fntastic pictures and Christmas cards.
We have probably visited the restaurant fro Breakfast, lunch and dinner more than 15 times and have never had a disappointing visit. Chris and Carla are natural hosts searving great food and creating a lovely atmosphere.
I'm nervous to recommend too highly in case we have to fight for a table in future!

Reviewed 29 November 2011

I went into Porthleven at the weekend with a friend, intending to go to one of the pubs by the harbour. We parked close to the Sea Drift and looked at their menu as we walked past but I must say that it was very inspiring. I certainly didn't want to eat there based on it anyway. After looking at all of the other places to eat, we gave up and were walking back to the car when my friend looked at the menu again and said that we should just go in and try them. Thank God we did. We only had a light lunch but what we had was out of this world. I had a baked crab florentine, which was absolutely divine. It was very rich but a small portion is more than enough. My friend had the chowder and she said that it was the best one that she had ever tasted. She had the small portion too - again, this was more than enough. The chowder came with some horseradish bread which was delicious; not too strong in flavour and wonderfully soft.
We didn't have a sweet but they looked good. There was a large choice of cakes and some big meringues too.
The service was good from start to finish and it was nice to see the chef come out with the dishes too. The atmosphere in there was lovely too; lots of groups of people from young parents with children to a group of 6 'more mature' people. Oh, and dogs are welcome there too - good if you've just been for a winter walk and want somewhere to stop on the way home.
For the two dishes, one coffee and one tea the bill came to just over £17. (We ate in a Nando's the following day and as much as we both love it there, I would sooner eat at Sea Drift any day).
It's a very unassuming place from the outside and one which you definitely would dismiss based on the menu outside alone. Don't walk past it; go in, try it, you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank krystaltipps
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We were inPorthleven for a week and chose to eat at the Sea Drift on our last night... big mistake!! We should have gone in there earlier in the week.. then we would definitely returned before the end of our stay.
My wife had the early bird 3 course set meal ( which had good choices for each course anda glas of wine) I had pan fried chicken breast which was the nicest chicken I have had for as long as I can remember. The dessert special was Pavlova with berries.... what an understated description that was!! An enourmous meringue on top of ice cream and clotted cream and lots of fresh sharp fruit, absolutely gorgeous. When the chef popped out we thanked him for a lovely meal and he explained how he gets the meringues so crisp on the outside and very chewy in the middle.
We had a lovely evening and we will certainly be back next year when we visit again.
p/s the bill was less than £60 for 3 courses inc a bottle of wine... fantastic!!

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife and myself ate at seadrift twice on our weeks holiday( evening meals) .The food was fantastic and the staff couldnt be more helpfull.I highly recommend this restaurant .