“Great food, one of our favourites.”
Review of Amelies

Amelies
Ranked #11 of 26 Restaurants in Porthleven
Price range: US$11 - US$62
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The freshest ingredients sourced from the best local suppliers. A relaxed, waterside atmosphere where you can sit back and relax. Service that's memorable for all the right reasons. At Amelies, Porthleven and sister company Gourmet Picnics we share the same ethos which runs through everything we do. Come and experience it for yourself. Please note in the winter season we do close on a Monday day and Tuesday day, re-opening Tuesday evening.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Have been here several times for the home made burgers and excellent mackerel. This time we had rib-eye steak and wood-fired sardines, and the food lived up to its usual billing. Good service and an excellent location next to the harbour make this a treat!

1  Thank JulesLewis
SamanthaSD, Owner at Amelies, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments and we're delighted that we've lived up to billing on a number of ocassions. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We came across this little gem of a restaurant by accident during our 2013 Cornish holiday.We were impressed then and have spent the year looking forward to making a return visit.We ate there this evening and were not disappointed......friendly welcome,lovely service and superb,freshly cooked food....just as we remembered it.So ignore any negative comments on here and get along and see for yourselves!

SamanthaSD, Owner at Amelies, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi Paula, Thanks so much for your kind review. It's always so great to receive them as we know it takes more to compliment and to complain. We are a family run restaurant and pride ourselves on friendly service and good food. We are so pleased you had a good night and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The friends who we were holidaying with found this little gem of a place. We had enjoyed a special week of gorgeous weather in Cornwall and wanted a special meal for our last evening. We were welcomed by the owner who apologised that they were so busy there would beva bit of a delay but it wasnt long and the food was delicious. We all had beautifully served fresh fish with a thai broth which was so lovely, starters of razor clams and oysters and a chocolate sharing plate. The service was friendly and the old smokehouse beautifully restored. Ten out of ten. Thanks for a lovely meal

SamanthaSD, Owner at Amelies, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review. We love special occasions and the whole team was really pleased we helped make you last night special. We recently redecorated the whole restaurant so it's nice to hear you liked that too. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I've reviewed Amelie's before, but make no apologies for doing so again because it is as important to recognise when a restaurant manages to maintain high standards.
Porthleven has acquired one or two additions to its culinary armoury recently and a swish looking place is due to open next door to Amelie's any time now. Very brave.
Amelie's menu has altered a little of late, offering shellfish and similar in tapas style quantities, ie ordering so many prawns, crab claws and so on. A lunch time linguine with lobster and crab was super and just the right amount to ensure an adequate evening appetite. Dressed crab was equally good, served with a top notch and beautiful looking salad.
Standards are indeed high in Porthleven and more competition will only increase the pressure to keep ahead of the pack. Our experience of Amelie's leads us to believe that they'll cope with any newcomers; it's the risk of there being more eateries than there are punters outside of the peak season that might be the worry.

1  Thank ShropshireClive
SamanthaSD, Owner at Amelies, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you for your review and for coming back to see us when you are in Porthleven. We strive to maintain high standards and I think it is more of an ask for people to leave a positive comment than a negative one so we're very pleased you have chosen to review us well on more than one occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We live in Cornwall and love eating out, and have had some great experiences but sadly not here. Our experience for Sunday lunch echos the other poor reviews - painfully slow service when there was only 2 tables occupied and 4 staff, bread & olives were cancelled after a 20 minute wait as I saw our main meals were being plated up, main meal luke warm and missing one side dish. It took another 15 minutes to clear our plates and after another 15 minutes I had to flag down a waitress to order our dessert (normally would have given up and left by now but we were on a set menu). Incredibly 30 minutes for a sorbet and pancake. Quite honestly I have cooked and presented better pancakes st home! By now we were over or 2 hour parking so my husband went to the bar to pay while I dashed to the car, he was asked if everything was ok by the waitress and when he told her about are experience she just smiled and said "oh dear". I am so sad for this restaurant because it could be great but it isn't and the staff and owners don't seem to care. We have eaten at two other restaurants in Porthleven which were fab but won't go back to Amelies again.

SamanthaSD, Owner at Amelies, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your review of Amélies and I am sorry you did not have a good experience when you came to dine with us. My name is Sam, and I am the owner of the restaurant.

Sundays are very important to us, as we have worked long and hard to gain a great reputation for Sunday lunch, so what you are describing is very unusual. I am usually always present on a Sunday, but due to a recent family illness I has been away for a few weeks. I am worried that this may have happened when I was not there and will be following up your comments with the team. I care very much that customers have a good experience - Amélies is named after my 5-year-old daughter, and we are a family run restaurant.

I can assure you that I will be following up your complaints with my team and I hope that we can find a way to tempt you back to Amélies to enjoy a very different experience in the future.