“Grace Notes add class to Friday night Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Amelies

Amelies
Ranked #14 of 24 Restaurants in Porthleven
Price range: US$10 - US$58
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The freshest ingredients sourced from the best local suppliers. A relaxed, waterside atmosphere where you can sit back and relax. Service that's memorable for all the right reasons. At Amelies, Porthleven and sister company Gourmet Picnics we share the same ethos which runs through everything we do. Come and experience it for yourself. Please note in the winter season we do close on a Monday day and Tuesday day, re-opening Tuesday evening.
Gwinear, null, United Kingdom
“Grace Notes add class to Friday night Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I was delighted to see that the excellent Grace Notes were on the list of the Summer sessions at Amelies. Well done to Amelies for inviting them to play on a Friday evening. The music felt a bit loud early evening (though they are brilliant so I didn't mind!), but as the sun went down, it all kinda chilled, and the audience relaxed into this Jazz-club like atmosphere.
I had a dressed crab and chips washed down with Prosecco - celebrating Friday night! The crab was very good, generously sized, perhaps could have done with a little more brown bread, tho no doubt had I asked, they would have brought some. The fries were good, flavoursome and crisp.
The dessert menu didn't inspire me, but my friend had a pannacotta which she said was good, and I saw a chocolate tasting plate pass me by - which I might have been tempted by on another occasion.
It was a delightful evening, and I hope they continue with the Sessions. It's a great idea!

• Visited August 2014

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Tempting menu choices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We visited Amelies and were seated outside as we wanted to soak up the relaxed atmosphere of Porthleven.

Staff friendly and accommodating, great menu choice with many ingredients sourced locally. We did have one issue with our starter – whitebait which was drenched in salt.

We referred this to the waitress and the dish was taken away with an offer to replace it and an admission from the Chef that the dish had indeed been compromised. A full refund was given and a sincere apology.

Our mains however were very delicious – pulled pork burger, nicely presented and tasty. I opted for mussels, sourced from the Helston River – they were very good and plentiful.

Leeds
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Poor food and poor service. We went as a group of four friends and each of our meals were very bland. Very disappointing as we had high expectations of the place. The staff were very defensive and unwilling to help, including the manager - although after eventually coming to our table she did knock our bottle of wine off the bill. The couple next to us took so long to be served that they left, and the table opposite did not receive all the meals they ordered. Would not recommend.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank BryonyPlatt123
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Great food... let down by slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We came to Amelie's at the end of July during our holiday. The food was really good and it didn't disappoint despite the fact I don't usually go for fish. Unfortunately the service was really slow. We are not quick to complain generally but we waited more than a reasonable time for our two courses, and to be honest felt we had been forgotten about. I mentioned this when I paid at the end of the evening and was just given an apology because they had some staffing issues. Could be fantastic if they sorted the staffing out.

1 Thank Debra G
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First visit to Porthleven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our first visit to Porthleven and our first visit to Amelies on the quay. Despite the fact that we had not booked and arrived well into the evening meals we were immediately greeted by a superb member of staff. When my wife and I asked if we could get a table she stated that she would find the owner and see what they could offer. Within minutes the owner had greeted us and introduced herself. We were then directed to a table for two and given menus etc. and asked if we would like to order drinks. We were told that as we had not booked the food may take up to 30 minutes and we were more than happy with that. Our drinks arrived and we were asked if we would like a starter while we waited. This we did and the starter arrived and the waitress took our meal order. The meal arrived less than 20 minutes after we had arrived despite the restaurant being packed. The food was well presented, delicious and made using a wide range of local produce.
Throughout our time at Amelies the staff were courteous, professional and attentive.
We will definitely go there again.
Thanks to all.