“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teignmouth
Manchester, Uk
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I was a bit uncertain about staying at this hotel, expecting to be in the minority of sighted guests and feeling guilty about taking a room from someone to whom the hotel is marketed. But I was pleasantly surprised and relieved that there was a good mix of guests, including some with young children, including us with a toddler. The guide dogs that were there (maybe 3 or 4 that we knew of) were very well-behaved, and the public areas and the two rooms we were allocated (210 and 101) had no doggy smell at all.

Check-in was relatively smooth, bearing in mind the first room we were assigned had no cot. We were swiftly relocated to a huge room with a sofa, double and single beds, but a very rickety cot. Our daughter occasionally likes to do a bit of bouncing in her cot and pulls on the sides, so having a dodgy cot made me nervous that she was going to wreck the thing overnight. Advice to hotel - please re-build / fix the cot in 101 and move it away from corner with the 3 open power sockets.

Also, why do hotels (not just this one) only have a tiny sanitary bin in the bathroom? Very difficult to squeeze nappies into.

Some restaurant staff were a bit disorganised at breakfast times as we must have been asked 3 times if we had given our order!!! Breakfast was fine but I was saddened when I only got one mini kipper! It was very tasty but very tiny. The number of choices at the evening meal was quite good.

The hotel is well-kept and very presentable, with a lovely grand staircase and beautifiul gardens. It could do with something a bit more stunning outside at the entrance area in terms of a dramatic hotel sign, but overall I would say this deserves its 3 star rating and could potentially push to 4 star if the catering improved and some of the restaurant staff were trained a bit more in organisation skills.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank h1mandme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This was our fourth stay at this hotel for a short break mid december. Last year we were snowed in.After booking out and having tried all exit roads from Teignmouth to no avail, had to return to the hotel and ask to stay another night. The staff could not have been kinder, and they were just as welcoming and kind this year. The rooms have been refurbished and are kept scrupulously clean although a little on the warm side.
The rate was actually reduced this year, a sign of the times perhaps but something has to go when the hotel is not receiving the same amount of money as it did last year. Unfortunately this was the quality of the food. The options for breakfast have been reduced over the years and similarly those of the evening meal. They are still acceptable but not quite as good as they used to be. The prices in the small bar are not excessive for an hotel but you may have to wait a little while to be served.
As the hotel caters for the blind you are likely to encounter lots of dogs in the dining room and lounge and so really need to like dogs.
The gardens are large, lovely, and very pleasant to walk in even in winter.
Teignmouth is a nice town but don't try to get an evening meal there after 4.00pm as the catering establishments are all closed.
The good points of the hotel outweigh any small disappointments and we will be back again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I didnt realise this was a hotel designed for the visually impaired, but that was not a problem, all the staff were great, as were the grounds, food and rooms, non of that i can complain about. However if I were to be brutally honest, (which is the purpose of this website) I was very put off by a musty smell throughout the hotel and rooms. I can only compare it to the smell I use to experience when visiting my Grandmother in a care home, I dont mean to be cruel but feel it only fair to warn people, just wish I had had the courage to mention it to the Hotel at the time. Oh and the location is fantasic for Teignmouth.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Glos
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We enjoyed a weekend break at Cliffden, having 2 dogs with us we were pleased at how well they were catered for,from lovely grounds to walk in with special off lead enclosed areas, to the availability of clean towels to dry them off at the door. The room was very hot, given we had the windows open and it was about 2 degrees outside. We only ate breakfast there which was plentiful. I have never stayed anywhere quite like if for service, you do tend to feel that you are residential school more than a hotel, the staff were helpful and friendly, but you had to ask for everything. I know they get a lot of people stay for weeks at a time, so maybe it is more of a home environment. I would definitely recommend to my dog loving friends

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This was our second visit, with wheelchair and dog, to this lovely hotel, visiting family in Torquay. We phoned a short time before our intended stay and booked in by very helpful staff at a very reasonable rate. Due to heavy traffic we were too late for dinner at the hotel(8pm), so went into Teignmouth. That was a disaster, everywhere was closing up when we got there, so had to make do with a takeaway! The hotel's reception were helpful and friendly, especially about parking as my car has a side ramp for the wheelchair. Our dog was welcome, they have a bowl of water in the porch and towels for drying them off. The room was very clean, quite spacious and comfortable, and although there is a wheel-in shower, there is no way to get under the sink and/or dressing table to use a mirror, or to wheel beside the toilet if necessary. The bed is too low for easy transferring on/off, but we managed and it was only for a short period, but it would be nice if the disabled facilties were improved. The breakfast is really quite good with plenty of choice and good helpings, and the staff were very helpful at raising the table so I could get underneath. The gardens are beautiful and I believe are being improved. Very good wheelchair access and wonderful for the dog. Quick access close to the town/beach available by key to a gate at the bottom. All in all a nice relaxed stay and will visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We were placed in a room with a bed that creaked non stop and a room that became unbearably hot. When the room temperature became too much and it was clear it was impossible for either of us to sleep under such conditions, we asked to be moved. I should clarify that I am a heavy sleeper and moving was an absolute last resort. I've been to lots of hot countries and have no problem sleeping in the hot weather but it was like we were sleeping directly on top of an oven and it wasn't even hot outside. The porter acted completely surprised when I complained and when the manager was called he was incensed that he had been woken up and was outright rude to me. I urge anybody thinking of staying at this hotel look at the other numerous reviews recording the exact same complaints over and over again. find it incomprehensible that the manager of an establishment that charges in excess of £150 per night not only does nothing to rectify the problems but rather acts as though customer after customer is making the problem up. Shockingly poor customer service. I've had a much better stay at a Travel Inn for £30 .

On the plus side, the senior lady receptionist was really nice and the hotel grounds were pretty spectacular. In hindsight I should have picked a bush outside to sleep in.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Charles185

Travellers are raving about these Teignmouth hotels

Oxford, UK
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We did not realise when booking that this hotel catered for guests with sight difficulties and their guide dogs, so it was a surprise but we thoroughly enjoyed it. The dogs are wonderful and of course immaculately behaved. The hotel has superb grounds and is extremely clean. A bit old-fashioned, but in the good sense, with extremely kind and helpful staff. I would echo a previous comment about the hot water, which is indeed scaldingly hot and needs care. The hotel is up quite a steep hill but the No. 2 bus from the town centre will take you the short distance up to it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Teignmouth
Langstone Cliff Hotel
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 87 in Torquay

Been to Cliffden Hotel? Share your experiences!