Cliffden Hotel
Bay Hotel(Teignmouth)
Cockhaven Arms(Bishopsteignton)
The Orestone Manor(Torquay)
View Hotel
All reviewsbeautiful groundsvision hotelthis hotel caterslick of paintlovely hotelclub roompleasant walkextensive gardensguide dogevening entertainmentan indoor swimming poolnon profitdisabled peopleprivate gategrooming roomdogs are allowedwell behaved dogs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I just stayed at Cliffden last weekend and our room was comfortable and pleasant. We never was interrupted in the mornings as there was a door sign to let them know you do not want to be disturbed, so just a thought. Staff were very helpful when assistance was required but not in your face. Food was excellent and plenty of choice, yes staff kept coming up and asked for our orders 3 times, but at least they are making sure we not kept waiting. The only complaint about the breakfast is that they no longer server hash browns as no one wanted them, well 5 of us did and I think the organisation could put a small bag in the freezer if quizzed. The only grip I had was the price of a large glass of wine £4.50 come on most blind people who visit are on benefits of no choice of their own, bit steep dont you think. But all in all, I would go again, but I will go to mcdonalds 99p coke.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidBrooks42
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I wavered between an 'average' and a 'very good' rating . . . the hotel itself was grand, spacious, comfortable and clean, as was our room. However, I really didn't rate the restaurant and some of the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom had seen better days. I feel a bit guilty being too harsh, though, as the hotel specialises in breaks for the blind and partially sighted and it seemed to be doing that extremely well. It was wonderful to see so many well behaved dogs! The pool was huge and warm and the grounds were lovely. Not amused that housekeeping tried several times to get in and clean the room before we'd even checked out (well before the 11am check-out time, too!), but I guess that's just me being picky. On the whole, lovely hotel to use as a base, but I would definitely eat out if I stayed again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The Cliffden is a 3* hotel a short walk from the centre on Teignmouth. The hotel is slightly old fashioned, a little worn in places but did what you want from a hotel. Lovely clean room where everything worked, bed comfy, plenty of very hot water and we were lucky to get a room with a great view. As mentioned in other reviews the hotel is very warm, we turned off our radiators and opened the window, problem solved. All the staff we met were superb. Breakfast was cooked to order, good and fresh. Friendly bar with good honest food at reasonable prices.

As the Cliffden is a Vision Hotel they obviously cater for dogs and our Pooch loved the place, the gardens, the short walk to the beach and lazing about in the bar suited him fine.

Would definitely return

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a garden/sea view
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jo B
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This hotel caters for those with poor or no sight and their guide dogs and is owned by a charity for the blind. It was very relaxing and peaceful, the pool is great and the views and grounds spectacular.

My room was neither too hot or cold and I could adjust the radiator and the bathroom was spaceious and clean as was the entire hotel.

WiFi is free, the staff helpful and very pleasent.

Whilst the breakfast wasnt as good as say, a Hilton, nor were the prices!! It was very good value and well located just a short downhill walk from the lovely town itself but it was a little steep for those who have trouble walking or in wheelchairs.

The rooms had freeview TV, tea and coffee and the shower was powerful and plenty of hot water.

The pool always has a lifeguard present and the bar, and lounge areas were well kept and inviting. Take a camera, you wont be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Try a high floor the views are much better
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Deanmills
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I was a bit uncertain about staying at this hotel, expecting to be in the minority of sighted guests and feeling guilty about taking a room from someone to whom the hotel is marketed. But I was pleasantly surprised and relieved that there was a good mix of guests, including some with young children, including us with a toddler. The guide dogs that were there (maybe 3 or 4 that we knew of) were very well-behaved, and the public areas and the two rooms we were allocated (210 and 101) had no doggy smell at all.

Check-in was relatively smooth, bearing in mind the first room we were assigned had no cot. We were swiftly relocated to a huge room with a sofa, double and single beds, but a very rickety cot. Our daughter occasionally likes to do a bit of bouncing in her cot and pulls on the sides, so having a dodgy cot made me nervous that she was going to wreck the thing overnight. Advice to hotel - please re-build / fix the cot in 101 and move it away from corner with the 3 open power sockets.

Also, why do hotels (not just this one) only have a tiny sanitary bin in the bathroom? Very difficult to squeeze nappies into.

Some restaurant staff were a bit disorganised at breakfast times as we must have been asked 3 times if we had given our order!!! Breakfast was fine but I was saddened when I only got one mini kipper! It was very tasty but very tiny. The number of choices at the evening meal was quite good.

The hotel is well-kept and very presentable, with a lovely grand staircase and beautifiul gardens. It could do with something a bit more stunning outside at the entrance area in terms of a dramatic hotel sign, but overall I would say this deserves its 3 star rating and could potentially push to 4 star if the catering improved and some of the restaurant staff were trained a bit more in organisation skills.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family